jersey crossbreds

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Re: jersey crossbreds

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 am

TexasBred wrote:
JWBrahman wrote:Jersey x Gir Leiteiro is your best Jersey x Brahman cross

One of the best looking herd of beef cows I've seen in a while belong to a dairyman over in East Texas. Breeds his jerseys to red brahman bulls. Those cattle are awesome.

There are some Texans I know who are running a dairy in Brazil. They use a Gir Leiteiro bull on Jersey cows. The calves are a lot thicker than you would think and the crossbred cows are very efficient.

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Nomad,
I'd be recommending you use a Milking Shorthorn rather than a Highland, over that Jersey cow. You'd get plenty of hair and toughness to handle a tough winter... and better milk production.

If you are looking for the milk production end I would agree on the milking shorthorn/jersey cross. If you just want some beefiness on the calf to raise to eat I'd go with an angus cross. The females make decent milkers too, and I usually put a 2nd calf on the 1/2 jer/ang , if she is going to get a little extra feed so doesn't get pulled down . They milk pretty good and I like it. There is also alot of dairies using sweedish or norweigan reds and they are beefier but milk pretty good. I am seriously considering trying it on my hol/jer crosses. Have not had alot of luck with shorthorn crosses on mine, but everyone's different. :) :)

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 am

We're considering starting, with a cooperator of ours, a small project of Aubrac sired F1 Jersey cross calves for 2018.

Heifers for recips. Bulls for a specialty beef market (unless someone somewhere would want one as a breeder).
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Got Milk?”