Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How or What do you think of composting chicken litter an using it as a filler to feed cattle on?Couldn't this practice lead to problems like they are having overseas?I would like your opinion or thought on this practice! I know they say that composting kills the harmful bacteria it's not 100%? I myself would sell my cattle before i would feed them litter.Thank You Len
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":17ln03bn said:
: How or What do you think of composting chicken litter an using it as a filler to feed cattle on?Couldn't this practice lead to problems like they are having overseas?I would like your opinion or thought on this practice! I know they say that composting kills the harmful bacteria it's not 100%? I myself would sell my cattle before i would feed them litter.Thank You Len <p>
<br>

[email protected]

I am like you and would rather sell my cattle then feed chicken litter!! However that is a personal preference.<p>Having said that, I recently read an article published by Texas A & M University praising certain nutritional benefits of chicken litter.<p>It appears to me from reading the article that it is critical as to how it is harvested. <p>They (A&M) specify "broiler litter" as opposed to <br>"laying litter" and other types of chicken litter. They further state that it must be gathered in such a manner as not too get into the soil below it and it must be maintained at very specific temperatures and under certain conditions.<p>Hope this helps........but I like you can not get past the thought of feeding chicken litter regardless how economical it might be or how nutritious.<p>Richard<p><br>: How or What do you think of composting chicken litter an using it as a filler to feed cattle on?Couldn't this practice lead to problems like they are having overseas?I would like your opinion or thought on this practice! I know they say that composting kills the harmful bacteria it's not 100%? I myself would sell my cattle before i would feed them litter.Thank You Len <p>
<br>

[email protected]

Folks, The feeding of chicken litter does sound nasty but look closer at what you are feeding. Chicken litter is typically high in crude protein. This crude protein is mostly coming from Non-protein nitrogen(uric acid) very similiar to most commercial protein supplements which also contain non-protein nitrogen sources such as(urea/biuret). Now moving on to the bacteria found in the litter-About 60-85% of the protein that grazing ruminants absorb in the small intestine comes from the digestion of bacteria which came from the rumen, majority of which are the same bacterial species found in litter. Likewise if you feed haylage or silage, bacteria are what stabilize those products and keeep them from spoiling. Litter does contain usually high amounts of lowly digestible fiber, but so doesn't poor quality hay that a lot of animals are fed each year. I do believe that if the nutrient composition of the litter to be fed is known, espicially protein, vitamin & mineral levels one can make rational decisions as to use or not to use based on nutrient need and supply as opposed to the face value of it sounding unappealing. Their are several studies that have offered litter as a supplement to good quality pastures and cows readily consumed the litter without it being forced on them.
<br>

(User Above)":2gwjw578 said:
: How or What do you think of composting chicken litter an using it as a filler to feed cattle on?Couldn't this practice lead to problems like they are having overseas?I would like your opinion or thought on this practice! I know they say that composting kills the harmful bacteria it's not 100%? I myself would sell my cattle before i would feed them litter.Thank You Len <p>
<br>

[email protected]