Strategy

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Strategy

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Anyone have any ideas on the best strategy to overcome this hump? I bought milk at the grocery store last week for $1.50/gal. which just seems wrong.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Strategy

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Anyone have any ideas on the best strategy to overcome this hump? I bought milk at the grocery store last week for $1.50/gal. which just seems wrong.

How? That is less than half price here at Wally World.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Get ya some a them thar food stamps.
You won't even notice prices high or low.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 pm

I sure feel sorry for the dairy guys/gals.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Organized buy outs on dairy farms. You'll soon see Wal-Mart as one of the tops in milk distribution.

The start of it right here.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I don’t understand dairy.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I don’t understand dairy.

There is a new business model out there. Big industrial dairies are using it to expand in the mid west. It includes an operational recipe, an imported labor force, and a focus on ROE. These industrial dairies appear unstoppable, unless grain prices rally significantly.
0 x
Stocker Steve

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Anyone have any ideas on the best strategy to overcome this hump? I bought milk at the grocery store last week for $1.50/gal. which just seems wrong.

Dang....guess I should look at the gallon jug prices.....that's less than we pay for a half gallon. Don't see why I couldn't pour a 3 quarts down the drain rather than a quart as long as it's cheaper. We don't use a lot of milk around here. Waste more than we use.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Strategy? Well in the dairy business we only have one strategy make more more more until the bank says your done
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 am

They're just like everybody else. If milk went up to $25 a hundredweight every dairyman in the country would be sitting at the bank in the morning to get money for more cattle. In no time the market would be flooded with an overabundance of milk and prices would tank again. they just can't stand prosperity.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

TexasBred wrote:

They're just like everybody else. If milk went up to $25 a hundredweight every dairyman in the country would be sitting at the bank in the morning to get money for more cattle. In no time the market would be flooded with an overabundance of milk and prices would tank again. they just can't stand prosperity.

Texbred, why you wanna go stepping on toes? :lol2: I was looking for a better solution ...... something like a bigger trailer maybe. Seriously though, I'm thinking herd reduction might be the answer right now. With this you won't bleed out so fast.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 am

Jogeephus wrote:Seriously though, I'm thinking herd reduction might be the answer right now. With this you won't bleed out so fast.

Great point. With DHIA records, it is pretty easy to figure out that a full barn can work against you at below cost prices. Now if beef producers did this...

But, figuring out your breakeven won't change that dairy is going industrial just like chickens and hogs did. :(
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Seriously though, I'm thinking herd reduction might be the answer right now. With this you won't bleed out so fast.

Great point. With DHIA records, it is pretty easy to figure out that a full barn can work against you at below cost prices. Now if beef producers did this...

But, figuring out your breakeven won't change that dairy is going industrial just like chickens and hogs did. :(

Though it might be too late I've always thought the purchase of a pasteurizer and direct marketing farm to table might be a solution but at the moment existing contracts prevent this but where there is a will there is a way.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm

I think my milk cost have just gone up.

2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Though it might be too late I've always thought the purchase of a pasteurizer and direct marketing farm to table might be a solution but at the moment existing contracts prevent this but where there is a will there is a way.

Got a few operators scattered around the county here marketing their milk to some of these amish/mennonite type communities. They make mostly cheese and butter but some actually bottle and sell raw milk. They pay the milk producer over twice the price the regular milk coop is now paying so it's a good deal for both. One dairy delivers them about 20,000 lbs. a day. The others I'm aware of are smaller. Not aware anyone capable at this time of producing Grade A milk for sell in grocery stores, etc.

Steve one question. Those "industrialized" dairies you mention. How is their milk priced and to whom do they sell it or do they handle and process it from the cow to the home refrigerator.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Got Milk?”