Mastitis? Or something else? (Dairy)

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
born2run
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby born2run » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:48 pm

Ditto to what Milkmaid said as far as them getting really "sick" from it. The cases where they are "hot" are the most serious, when they'll run a temp and go off feed. 99% of the time the cows I treat appear overall healthy. Only prestripping reveals a different story. Sometimes there is no swelling at all, just slightly thicker milk, or otherwise appearing slightly abnormal. Sometimes a slight case will cure with making sure the quarter is completely "out" after milking. From the pics you've shown us though I conclude that this will not be clearing up on it's own. You're online...go to the likes of Valley Vet and order treatment. They sell both CefaLak and ToDay.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_gro ... BD566D4317

They ship fast for what it's worth.
0 x
The world is like a mirror. Smile at it and it will smile back.

MikeJoel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MikeJoel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks for the link. I thought this morning it would probably be easier to find stuff on line than around here.
I need to check my feed store, cause Im about out of grain and if they carry this stuff it will be faster than waiting for the mail, but I was wanting some other stuff too to have around.

Would you do a full or partial insertion...... and exactly what is the reason for the two?

Mike
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Partial. Less chance of inserting other bacteria into the quarter by accident. Remember to use the alcohol wipe and clean the teat end well before insertion. You might not understand what I'm saying now but you will when you see what comes with your order. LOL. Massage the quarter after treatment to help move it through the quarter.

Give your feed store a call - I'd almost be willing to bet they carry ToDAY. (FWIW, Cefa-Lak and ToDAY are the same drug, same company, same everything...LOL.)

Oh, and BTW - that last picture I posted of the really fresh cow? Staph in 3 out of 4 quarters. Wouldn't know it by looking. Chronic cow, infection's been there for a long, long time. I won't waste my time treating her.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

MikeJoel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MikeJoel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:49 am

Well it appears that (like I suspected a couple of days ago) that the front right shows signs of mastitis too.

It is a little hard and wont milk out.

So we have a full right side with mastitis.
I think it is time to do something! Grrrrr.

With the drugs does the calf need to be preventd from nursing that side?
It would seem useless to put it in to have the calf pull it out.

Mike
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:45 pm

I'd give her a few hours for the drugs to be absorbed before letting the calf nurse.

How much milk is the cow giving right now? It almost may make more sense for you to completely milk the cow and then bottlefeed the calf, keeping them both separate until the infection is cleared up.

Unfortunately with calves on a cow it is very easy for the infection to be transferred from one quarter to another as they nurse and swap teats. That may be how you now have two infected quarters where before there was only one.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

born2run
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby born2run » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:24 am

Came across a clinical case last night that should be case in point not to let it go. This cow has had edema from calving forward, and now has two totally infected lefts. She's been treated repeatedly but has stopped responding. I think she's on the "cull list"...sad because at one point she was a high producer.
0 x
The world is like a mirror. Smile at it and it will smile back.

Return to “Got Milk?”