Need to put some weight on a Holistein bottle calf....help.

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Re: Need to put some weight on a Holistein bottle calf....help.

Postby hillsdown » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 pm

I don't know what it is like in your area GMN but around here everything is AI'd until the 4th or 5th try or so, is still unsuccessful then and only then will they turn in a clean up bull and it is always a deep pedigree registered bull from a well known breeder or the like.
Example a bull calf out of a VG 88 or higher cow with a lifetime production award/s bred to a top bull on type and milk.

A grade Holstein bull would go for slaughter at about 10 cents a pound.

BTW you can not register a Holstein bull unless it is 94% purebred.(Holstein Canada)
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

larryshoat
GURU
GURU

Postby larryshoat » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Alice wrote:
TexasBred wrote:B&L if he were mine I'd probably take him off the finisher and put him back on a starter (18% protein or more with Bovatec) for a little while and let him have all the hay/grazing he wants. Just one man's thoughts.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice
I cast one more vote for this strategy.

Larry
0 x
There are two ways to do anything........ the right way and all the others.

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:09 pm

hillsdown wrote:I don't know what it is like in your area GMN but around here everything is AI'd until the 4th or 5th try or so, is still unsuccessful then and only then will they turn in a clean up bull and it is always a deep pedigree registered bull from a well known breeder or the like.
Example a bull calf out of a VG 88 or higher cow with a lifetime production award/s bred to a top bull on type and milk.

BTW you can not register a Holstein bull unless it is 94% purebred.(Holstein Canada)

Thats right you do not know what it is like in our area. I buy a good bloodline bull calf from a breeder that lives close to me, and raise him up to put full time with my dairy cows. There are many different ways to farm, and run a herd.

I think the posters original question was what to do with her bull calf. I was just throwing the suggestion out, because there are people who do go to special bull sales to buy a bull for whatever reason.

GMN
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:57 pm

GMN wrote:
hillsdown wrote:I don't know what it is like in your area GMN but around here everything is AI'd until the 4th or 5th try or so, is still unsuccessful then and only then will they turn in a clean up bull and it is always a deep pedigree registered bull from a well known breeder or the like.

Thats right you do not know what it is like in our area. I buy a good bloodline bull calf from a breeder that lives close to me, and raise him up to put full time with my dairy cows. There are many different ways to farm, and run a herd.

I think the posters original question was what to do with her bull calf. I was just throwing the suggestion out, because there are people who do go to special bull sales to buy a bull for whatever reason.

GMN

I have a 14 wk old Holistein bottle baby that I got from a person who was going to dump him off in someones pasture. Basically to let him die I guess. He had navel ill that had gone to his joints slightly. He was 5 wks old and weighed 95lbs. We are new to cattle anyway but raise black angus and I know nothing about dairy cattle. He is now 14 wks and fully weaned as of 3 wks ago and he weighs 155lbs

I highly doubt you would buy this bull for your herd.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Return to “Got Milk?”