Family milk cow sic?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
zohaa3492
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Family milk cow sic?

Postby zohaa3492 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:26 am

I use these and in the past year I have noticed that they don't hold up as long, maybe the rubber is made with less now, anyone else use these and notice this?
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Dairy cows will drool, have a clear nasal discharge and breathe hard when they get hot trying to cool themselves.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:44 pm

warrenware wrote:Well since I am what you might call a small home stead, the milk, beef, chicken,honey,and catfish that I raise are only for my family to consume. theirfore I really dont need a registered holstine that could supply the whole neighborhood. the milk is suprisingly rich and the (sharley) (spelling?) breed was a good triple pourpose breed. Beef,milk,draft. though i dont use her for draft. Though I have just purchased a jersey/sharley cross.

I realize that this is recently resurrected and not part of the original question, but I'm tired of still seeing the dual and even triple purpose BS still being passed along. A lot of people especially novices want to believe it, and why wouldn't they, because it sounds too good to be true. I don't think that even any of the breed clubs are still promoting the dual purpose fairy tale. Maybe Dexters, but I can't think of many others.
I've accepted that a lot of people won't pick up a book and read it any more, but they won't even do the slightest bit of research on the internet now either? Are there really people who are content with only the level of knowledge which they receive by word of mouth? It's understandable that Charolais could be easily mispelled by going that route, but one should quickly realize the error if he made even a small attempt to educate himself. I guess "sic" in the thread title was appropriate, even if unintentional.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Luca Brasi wrote:I realize that this is recently resurrected and not part of the original question, but I'm tired of still seeing the dual and even triple purpose BS still being passed along. A lot of people especially novices want to believe it, and why wouldn't they, because it sounds too good to be true. I don't think that even any of the breed clubs are still promoting the dual purpose fairy tale. Maybe Dexters, but I can't think of many others.
I've accepted that a lot of people won't pick up a book and read it any more, but they won't even do the slightest bit of research on the internet now either? Are there really people who are content with only the level of knowledge which they receive by word of mouth? It's understandable that Charolais could be easily mispelled by going that route, but one should quickly realize the error if he made even a small attempt to educate himself. I guess "sic" in the thread title was appropriate, even if unintentional.

Now that you have showed your be nice do you have any suggestions for the "sic" cow??? BTW quite a few cross bred cattle are milked for "family" use. It's not like you're milking for a living. A couple gallons of milk per day should be more than enough to feed a sizeable family and a holstein crossed with dam near anything will give that much milk. Now go get some exposure to the real world be nice.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:I realize that this is recently resurrected and not part of the original question, but I'm tired of still seeing the dual and even triple purpose BS still being passed along. A lot of people especially novices want to believe it, and why wouldn't they, because it sounds too good to be true. I don't think that even any of the breed clubs are still promoting the dual purpose fairy tale. Maybe Dexters, but I can't think of many others.

Now that you have showed your be nice do you have any suggestions for the "sic" cow??? BTW quite a few cross bred cattle are milked for "family" use. It's not like you're milking for a living. A couple gallons of milk per day should be more than enough to feed a sizeable family and a holstein crossed with dam near anything will give that much milk. Now go get some exposure to the real world be nice.

Classy.
Crossbred animals are not breeds. I think that you misunderstand the difference between the two.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 am

Luca Brasi wrote:Crossbred animals are not breeds. I think that you misunderstand the difference between the two.

You mentioned "breed clubs" whatever that is. I referred to "cross bred" cattle. I assume you know the difference. BTW any American "Breed" is a cross bred animal.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:Crossbred animals are not breeds. I think that you misunderstand the difference between the two.

You mentioned "breed clubs" whatever that is. I referred to "cross bred" cattle. I assume you know the difference. BTW any American "Breed" is a cross bred animal.

Do I really have to provide a definition of a breed club, in a discussion about pure vs crossbred animals, or explain how or when an established breed is no longer considered a crossbred despite any origin it may have had? Genetics 101. It's a rhetorical question, as I have no intention of doing so. Since you've already established that I'm a jerk and a be nice for daring to have opinions different from yours and for correcting facts which have been misunderstood, I'll continue to let you think so by letting you try to educate yourself rather than me giving you the answers.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Luca Brasi wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Do I really have to provide a definition of a breed club, in a discussion about pure vs crossbred animals, or explain how or when an established breed is no longer considered a crossbred despite any origin it may have had? Genetics 101. It's a rhetorical question, as I have no intention of doing so. Since you've already established that I'm a jerk and a be nice for daring to have opinions different from yours and for correcting facts which have been misunderstood, I'll continue to let you think so by letting you try to educate yourself rather than me giving you the answers.

Read more...post less....you're completely forgotten the topic....be nice. :mrgreen:
0 x

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:00 am

Nice. Do you know any other words? Texas must be a synonym for In.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:21 am

Luca Brasi wrote:Nice. Do you know any other words? Texas must be a synonym for In.

Actually I have a rather large vocabulary but it only takes a very few words to describe you based on your post. I do notice you specialize in adjectives. :mrgreen:
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:26 pm

warrenware wrote:so ...... anybody out there?.............hello?.........no general ideas about a cow that has a cough and seems to be a bit stiff in her movements?... she was very loose with diarea two days ago and I gave her one day worth of tetracyclene then stoped because i really didnt know if that would be ok. she seams alittle better tonight but havent seen her have a bowel movement since. seems strange that she would stop so quick since she almost always deficates while milking............. Did I mention that she once kicked me! not that it matters but thought the admission might generate some interest in my problem.

How is her bag? Any hardness? Discolored milk? Have you given her vaccinations, blackleg, lepto-etc...so many things it could be, what is her age?
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

GMN this was 5 years ago and the cow is probably dead by now.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Return to “Got Milk?”