what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.

what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

Ayrshire
6%
Brown Swiss
18%
Dairy Shorthorn
6%
Guernsey
6%
Holstein
26%
Jersey
38%

Total votes: 34

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Re: what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

Postby redcowsrule33 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 am

Best cow I ever had was a Jersey. Naughtiest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Smartest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Love 'em anyway. :heart: Would love to have a Montbeliarde someday, just for kicks.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 am

redcowsrule33 wrote:Best cow I ever had was a Jersey. Naughtiest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Smartest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Love 'em anyway. :heart: Would love to have a Montbeliarde someday, just for kicks.

Same cow???????????????
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

ANAZAZI
GURU
GURU

Postby ANAZAZI » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I believe montbeliardes can be trained to kick. but would strongly advice against such practices! :banana: :banana: :banana:
0 x
Brindles have more fun!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:44 pm

regolith wrote:Jersey. But my best cows are crossbreds (Holstein Friesian cross Jersey) with the exception of 137 (a jersey, matches nearly any HF or xbred in the herd for production).
Worked with black and whites for about a decade before finding myself the owner of a predominantly Jersey herd - I liked the Holstein Friesian well enough but loved the good Jerseys. I seem to have a few really good Jerseys and a lot of mediocre ones though (crossing to HF fixes them).
Being able to handle them easily if they go down or get stuck somewhere stupid is a big bonus, plus they just look cute.

Anytime you have a jersey that will match a holstein for production you have one he&& of a jersey cow and a sorry a$$ holstein. When you're milking for a living holsteins is the only way to go. The others just add some variety to the picture.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

AngusLimoX
GURU
GURU

Postby AngusLimoX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:31 pm

TexasBred wrote: When you're milking for a living holsteins is the only way to go. The others just add some variety to the picture.

Maybe in the U.S. TB.
If the industry had to factor in animal welfare and other environmental considerations the field might level a bit. Up here, because of the quota system, there is a set price for milk, so the guys can be less needful of "milk machine cattle". Lots of Jersey herds up here.

I voted Brown Swiss because I think in a world where excellent beef was a by-product of dairy they are a top dual purpose breed.

I run BA cows mostly, and I am very happy with them, but the old Brown Swiss I lost last year likely put more money in my pocket than any other cow here. Smart ( for a cow ), quiet and productive. Gonna miss ole Daisy.
0 x
If it isn't Scottish - it's CRAP!! ( Does not apply to CAB ).

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Different systems ALX so different approaches. But when you get paid on volume plus a little bit for BF, Protein and other solids I'll take the holstein that will hit 120-130 lbs. per day with 3.5% BF and 3.2% protein anyday. We use to have a couple of brown swiss as well as well as a few jerseys and at one time had a complete group of jersey/holstein crosses. Loved those rascals. Good producers, high components, quick breedback and seldom any problems. Efficient little cows. If I jus wanted a family milk cow or nurse cow the jersey would probably be my pick.
0 x

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

TexasBred wrote:Anytime you have a jersey that will match a holstein for production you have one he&& of a jersey cow and a sorry a$$ holstein. When you're milking for a living holsteins is the only way to go. The others just add some variety to the picture.

That's the way I look at it as well. I have often heard the argument that Jerseys have higher components. Problem is the percentages are higher but the actual pounds of BF and protein are almost always lower than a Holstein. I get paid for pounds of BF and pounds of protein.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:03 am

3waycross wrote:
redcowsrule33 wrote:Best cow I ever had was a Jersey. Naughtiest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Smartest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Love 'em anyway. :heart: Would love to have a Montbeliarde someday, just for kicks.

Same cow???????????????

Yep. Her name was Honey. I wouldn't have had her any other way.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:00 pm

redcowsrule33 wrote:
3waycross wrote:

Same cow???????????????

Yep. Her name was Honey. I wouldn't have had her any other way.

Gotta be a real "tale" behind this. :lol2:
0 x

gabbyellepaige
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gabbyellepaige » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Pun :D
0 x

This is happiness, to be everything at once.
Be unblinded, be unlearned, be unbridled and unburned.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:31 pm

I would of voted Red Poll because that is what my dad's grandpa milked.
He bought them from JC Penny the guy who started the store.
That was amazing to me when I found out from my dad. :shock:
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:I would of voted Red Poll because that is what my dad's grandpa milked.
He bought them from JC Penny the guy who started the store.
That was amazing to me when I found out from my dad. :shock:

Huh?? Penny had a guernsey dairy and an angus beef cow operation. Maybe the red poll was a "sooner" cow.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 pm

TexasBred wrote:Huh?? Penny had a guernsey dairy and an angus beef cow operation. Maybe the red poll was a "sooner" cow
You were right the guerseny's was what he bought, he got the red poll from kanasas.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm

I voted brown swiss, I'm biased by being swiss of course, but they are a good dual purpose breed.. we had a guernsey who was good, but a fussy eater, and she'd walk faster than you could run, neighbors have a jersey who is a sweet cow (jersey eyes?), but some old friends of ours had some that were some sort of nasty.. On a dairy production basis, I can't say much, if you want production out of any breed, you have to give them so much extra grain, etc I don't see the point in it.. What is the average productive lifespan of the cows you folks have?... I once heard that the average productive lifespan of a commercial cow was 3 to 4 years... I don't know what has happened to brown swiss from back in the day, but in switzerland there were lots of 20 year old cows... in my experience, despite total milk production dropping as they get older, the quality of the milk gets better
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Nesikep wrote:in my experience, despite total milk production dropping as they get older, the quality of the milk gets better

I've seen the opposite. My older cows tend to be higher producers but the quality is almost always worse with older cows. If I have a cow with somatic problems chances are pretty good it is an older cow. I also heard one time that as a cow ages her component production as a % drops.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”