members complaints did the trick

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
GMN
GURU
GURU

members complaints did the trick

Postby GMN » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

A few months ago I posted about the lowering of the scc count from 750,000 to 400,000, this went into effect March 1st. Evidently many members were just as upset as I was, because now there will be a free zone from 401,000 to 600,000 where no deductions will be given, and premiums extra will be paid for 400 and below. My fieldman told me this yesterday and I think this is a very good change, as he did too.
I am glad I ship to a company that still listens to its members.

GMN
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: members complaints did the trick

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 pm

GMN wrote:A few months ago I posted about the lowering of the scc count from 750,000 to 400,000, this went into effect March 1st. Evidently many members were just as upset as I was, because now there will be a free zone from 401,000 to 600,000 where no deductions will be given, and premiums extra will be paid for 400 and below. My fieldman told me this yesterday and I think this is a very good change, as he did too.
I am glad I ship to a company that still listens to its members.

GMN

Absolutely !!! Good clean operation deserves a reward for their hard work. Don't know about the free zone too....seems a little too broad...run it from 4 to 500,000 and then start penalizing after that.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

Its a win win for everyone-
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 am

GMN wrote:Its a win win for everyone-

Yeah I guess it is but usually premiums or paid by money collected as penalties from others. A narrower window for those doing things "fair" might mean more to those of you doing it well. No need to encourage mediocrity.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 pm

what upset people is that this was first mentioned as something that may be considered way down the road, say 2012 the earliest. Then wham some suits decided what would be best for all of us-that is what is wrong with corporate America-they make decisions for a group of people then wonder why people get upset. They don't do the work or have to deal with the consequences of their actions, its like real easy to make decisions that do not effect you, and you dont' have to change for. The fact that they pushed this thru in 3 months time was ridiculus-I still believe that.

I see the free zone as a wonderful solution-its not promoting mediocracy, its promoting normalcy. Cell issues can spike in winter, proven fact, this winter has been bad for many. In the warm months, its easy to maintain 200,000 or less-just saying I think this whole thing started for a reason, they did it, and got alot of backlash for shoving it thru so fast, and this is their solution.

Better for them to make people happy than to make them mad and unhappy.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

I reckon. A bonus is always good but I still think there are always that "group" of dairies that give good dairies a black eye. What is normal?? Average?? You and I certainly don't settle for it. Guess a half loaf is better than nothing. SCC count to me was always an indicator of management...not a problem of the cows. I don't know who you sale to but the largest coop down here (which is a bunch of crooks to. lolol) at least has a website where you can check your lab results daily and watch for brewing problems.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 am

so glad to hear they didnt lower the SCC down to 400,00 from 750,000.because if that happened youd see a flush of dairymen going out.
0 x

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

GMN wrote:Its a win win for everyone-

Respectfully going to disagree. It is a win for those that can't get a handle on their BTSCC. They have been trying to lower the limit for years. You make it sound like this just popped up within the past few months and blindsided you. Everyone knew this was brewing for years. I for one am glad they finally grabbed the bull by the horns. Lower SCC milk is higher quality. We should all be striving to produce the best quality product we can. With greater access to international markets we need to distinguish ourselves as a top notch supplier of dairy ingredients to get a foot in the door on these markets. If we don't somebody else will win that business and we, once again, will be on the outside looking in. We need to be more progressive in our way of thinking and not get stuck in a rut.

With cull prices as good as they are, lowering the limit should be incentive for producers to cull aggressively and remove those couple problem cows that every herd seems to have. With regular testing and keeping a close eye on things it shouldn't be tough to comply. The industry will only be better off by lowering the limit.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Amen :!: :!: But I guess there will always be those in the business that give the good operators a black eye when everyone is lumped together.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:Amen :!: :!: But I guess there will always be those in the business that give the good operators a black eye when everyone is lumped together.

It's the same for dairy producers, beef producers, car dealers, etc. A couple make the rest look bad. I would have thrown in lawyers but in there case the 95% give all the others a bad name.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm

can't be but so new.

I worked for a marketing coop in the 80's and started as a field man. we changed our standards and started giving premiums way back then.

then I worked for Diversey for nearly ten years covering parts of seven states and every market was ratcheting down the SCC scores.

Frankly I was amazed to hear that there was still a market taking milk at 750,000 scc.

Of course I lived my life in a high % fluid utilization market.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm

pdfangus wrote:can't be but so new.

I worked for a marketing coop in the 80's and started as a field man. we changed our standards and started giving premiums way back then.

then I worked for Diversey for nearly ten years covering parts of seven states and every market was ratcheting down the SCC scores.

Frankly I was amazed to hear that there was still a market taking milk at 750,000 scc.

Of course I lived my life in a high % fluid utilization market.

PDF that's what daddy use to politely call "clabber". :lol2: Wonder how many times during a milking they have to stop and change filters?
0 x

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 am

I look at this as nothing more than an effort to keep the US competitive with other dairy exporters. We are constantly seeing new technologies and methods that help us be more productive while also producing higher quality milk. Ratcheting up the standards is necessary to get those falling behind to either step it up or get out. I guess I look at it like my herd. There are some cows that consistently pound out the milk like crazy and bring the average of the herd up. There are lots of cows that do fair but never top the herd but they also don't bring the average down. Then there are those that consistently bring the average down and basically are a hindrance to the progress of the herd as a whole. If I want to improve the herd (or the industry as an analogy) I need to raise my standards and either those girls hit those marks or they don't. While nobody likes to cull, sometimes it is just necessary for the better good of those that are meeting the standards, harsh as it may be.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 am

novaman wrote:I look at this as nothing more than an effort to keep the US competitive with other dairy exporters. We are constantly seeing new technologies and methods that help us be more productive while also producing higher quality milk. Ratcheting up the standards is necessary to get those falling behind to either step it up or get out. I guess I look at it like my herd. There are some cows that consistently pound out the milk like crazy and bring the average of the herd up. There are lots of cows that do fair but never top the herd but they also don't bring the average down. Then there are those that consistently bring the average down and basically are a hindrance to the progress of the herd as a whole. If I want to improve the herd (or the industry as an analogy) I need to raise my standards and either those girls hit those marks or they don't. While nobody likes to cull, sometimes it is just necessary for the better good of those that are meeting the standards, harsh as it may be.

your right you can hold your sccs under 300,000with common sense things,such as using 1 wash clothe to dry the cows udder an teats.an using the best teat dipp money can buy.an if your in a freestall or bedded pack barn keep the stalls clean an dry.in a bedded pack barn keep as much manure as possable out.all of the steps are very labor intensive an some are very costly.to run an scc of under 75,000 it could cost more than the bonus money you receive for the milk.heres the big cure for high sccs,when a cow has mastitis put her right on the trailer an dont bother treating her.can you cull your herd that heavy.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 pm

I see three trends(more than three but these are my :bang: moments) in the dairy industry that are destructive to everyone involved in dairy.
1. "that's how we've always done it"- they do everything like grandpa did no matter what the situation calls for. I have a customer who drags wet manure out of his sewer ponds and lays it out in his close-up pen to let it dry so it will spread evenly when he gets around to putting it on the crops."They aren't milking so it can't bother them".
He just can't figure out why he has so many "new" problems with his fresh cows that never showed up until we everyone started paying attention...He's in the proccess of teaching his grandson "how to run a dairy" and it WILL be done grandpas way. ;-) He will look you in the eye and tell you that anyone who claims they don't have a mastitis problem is lying. If he's had one for years then so has everyone else.
2. "as long as she's paying her way" alot of these guys don't know what their bottom line really is. They can ussually figure out a break-even point on an average cow but they tend to look at what an average cow has to produce to be profitable and apply it to cows that are less than average management wise and expect to make a profit on them. Example: fifty pounds is break even for their average cow so any cow making fifty-five pounds stays...regardless of how many times we have to breed her or treat her for mastitis. Basically they pay extra to milk the cow while she dumps extra milk onto the market which makes the profitable cows less profitable.
3."i just need more cows" these guys just grow no matter what the consequences. The problem is directly related to #2 but with a twist. The banks don't look at individual cows, they consider every cow to be average... so if the bank is telling you how many cows you need to secure a certain loan, it doesn't MATTER what cow you are milking.

And then I have my customers who really don't mind a raising of the bar every now and then. :D
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”