members complaints did the trick

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: members complaints did the trick

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 am

What we get paid has no bearing on the SCC issue. There is no excuse for producing subpar milk and expecting to get paid well for it. If you want a better pay price get your somatics down. I am getting a couple dollars premium over the class III price for the milk I ship.

Ok Nova...which one is it?? SCC has no bearing on what you get pair OR you get a bonus because of it?? Bonus' have sure gone up since I dairied if you're getting $2 a hundred for SCC alone. Some of the fanciest dairy barns in this area are the ones sitting idle now. Fancy equipment will never replace good management in all areas.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:40 am

TexasBred wrote:
What we get paid has no bearing on the SCC issue. There is no excuse for producing subpar milk and expecting to get paid well for it. If you want a better pay price get your somatics down. I am getting a couple dollars premium over the class III price for the milk I ship.

Ok Nova...which one is it?? SCC has no bearing on what you get pair OR you get a bonus because of it?? Bonus' have sure gone up since I dairied if you're getting $2 a hundred for SCC alone. Some of the fanciest dairy barns in this area are the ones sitting idle now. Fancy equipment will never replace good management in all areas.

It is both. Lowering the SCC limit should have nothing to do with what we get paid. Doesn't matter if we are getting $8 or $25 the limit should be lowered. The premiums are not SCC alone but the point is I get a premium over class III price by having lower SCC so it all helps.

I never said "fancy equipment" replaces good management. "Fancy equipment" will help give more and better information to aid in making better management decisions. If you don't know which cows are causing the somatic problems how can you deal with the issue? I know what every cow is putting into the tank at every milking so nothing slips through the cracks and brings a surprise when the test results come back.

Maybe I'm in the minority with my line of thinking. Regulations have become stricter and everything is moving towards more efficient production methods that also result in higher quality products being produced. Now if someone sees this trend ending soon let me know. I, for one, think it will only become of greater emphasis since the consumer is demanding it.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

GMN wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:DFA is the bull of the woods when it comes to marketing milk.i remember when AMPI got so deep in debt that they had to sell out to MIDAM.AMPI thought all of their people would run DFA an be the big boss.but MIDAM said no we are buying you out taking on your debt overloaded company an we are the boss.we all know who ended up running the company in the end MIDAMs people.AMPI wouldve went under completely if MIDAM hadnt bought them an they knew it.

I started with MID AM- I liked them, there were some really nice people I dealt with, my fieldman, real down to earth, helped me out alot. They had a lab close by within 15 miles where i could take samples and they would be done the same day-then MIDAM got bought out by DFA-that lab got closed hundreds of people lost their jobs and benefits, and that caused some hard feelings.

you are wrong saying that DFA bought out MIDAM.there was no such milk co until MIDAM bought out AMPI then the name was changed to DFA.MIDAM was well known for their great fieldmen,lest ways the old fieldmen.
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I think the only thing you are good at is twisting my words. Read what I said, I never said it was OK to ship subpar milk, I never said it was acceptable to have a high cell, all I said is that I think the free zone is a great idea-
I never put anyone down either like you are-so high and mighty, "dairymen like me" I'm proud of all I have acomplished on my farm, and thats good enough for me.
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:41 pm

you are wrong saying that DFA bought out MIDAM.there was no such milk co until MIDAM bought out AMPI then the name was changed to DFA.MIDAM was well known for their great fieldmen,lest ways the old fieldmen.QUOTE:

Ya know I don't recall MIDAM being called DFA.MIDAM-I went from MID AM to DFA-nothing inbetween-maybe in your parts thats how it was but here it was just mid am-then dfa
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:52 pm

GMN wrote:you are wrong saying that DFA bought out MIDAM.there was no such milk co until MIDAM bought out AMPI then the name was changed to DFA.MIDAM was well known for their great fieldmen,lest ways the old fieldmen.QUOTE:

Ya know I don't recall MIDAM being called DFA.MIDAM-I went from MID AM to DFA-nothing inbetween-maybe in your parts thats how it was but here it was just mid am-then dfa

im sorry that you dont understand what i said,i cant make it any plainer.but DFA didnt exist untill MIDAM bought out AMPI.if they hadnt bought out AMPI the dairymen wouldve been ruined because they was weeks away from filing bankruptcy.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 pm

We build a brand new parlor and freestall barn in '95 but we never had any kind of monitors in the barn to check each individual cow for mastitis. The milk hands were taught to squirt a shot of milk from each quarter onto the concrete and check for specks, do a good job of pre and post dipping and not overmilk. Other than that it was just he DHIA testing results every month. Holding SCC around 200,000 wasn't all that hard nor time consuming but that was pretty much our goal. Consistently got premiums for BF and Protein but can't remember now what it all added up to at the end of the month. I agree that dairies need to produce a high quality product but when it's all said and done you're milk is stripped of most of it's nutrients and displayed in a nasty dairy case in supermarket as skim or low fat milk at a temperature of 40 degrees or more... Retailers do more harm to the business than anyone it seems.
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 pm

bigbull338 wrote:
GMN wrote:you are wrong saying that DFA bought out MIDAM.there was no such milk co until MIDAM bought out AMPI then the name was changed to DFA.MIDAM was well known for their great fieldmen,lest ways the old fieldmen.QUOTE:

im sorry that you dont understand what i said,i cant make it any plainer.but DFA didnt exist untill MIDAM bought out AMPI.if they hadnt bought out AMPI the dairymen wouldve been ruined because they was weeks away from filing bankruptcy.

i understood what you said, but i don't recall it being that way.
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:We build a brand new parlor and freestall barn in '95 but we never had any kind of monitors in the barn to check each individual cow for mastitis. The milk hands were taught to squirt a shot of milk from each quarter onto the concrete and check for specks, do a good job of pre and post dipping and not overmilk. Other than that it was just he DHIA testing results every month. Holding SCC around 200,000 wasn't all that hard nor time consuming but that was pretty much our goal. Consistently got premiums for BF and Protein but can't remember now what it all added up to at the end of the month. I agree that dairies need to produce a high quality product but when it's all said and done you're milk is stripped of most of it's nutrients and displayed in a nasty dairy case in supermarket as skim or low fat milk at a temperature of 40 degrees or more... Retailers do more harm to the business than anyone it seems.

I know what each cow I have what her cell count is, by observation and doing milk samples on a monthly basis-thats great if you can afford all that fancy equipment, but their are other ways to get the same results.

GMN
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:45 pm

GMN we didn't have any of that equipment either. Relied on DHIA to pull and test individual samples. Other than that it was just our visual observations only.
0 x

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

GMN wrote:I know what each cow I have what her cell count is, by observation and doing milk samples on a monthly basis-thats great if you can afford all that fancy equipment, but their are other ways to get the same results.

You may know what each cow is on a monthly basis but things change from day to day. Don't assume you have any idea what kind of equipment I have either. It was actually quite inexpensive to set up. If you can get the same results that I am getting on a daily basis, be my guest.

TexasBred wrote:GMN we didn't have any of that equipment either. Relied on DHIA to pull and test individual samples. Other than that it was just our visual observations only.

Listen there is a difference between DHIA sampling and getting daily feedback on what is going on with your herd. Visual observation will only get you so far. I have found that clinical mastitis isn't as much of a problem as subclinical mastitis is and you can't do anything visual to find subclinical.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 am

Nova I'm sure the daily feedback is a good tool. Neve said it wasn't. Only said I didn't have it. Closest thing to that would be checking lab results on the DFA website and they're usually 3-4 days behind and only give you results on the tank sample. I found the combination adequate. Only time I eve had zero SCC was the day after we sold out. ;-) Cattle always will have a "healthy" level of white blood cells in the blood and the milk..... Other data, only useful if you know how to use it and act on it. As for subclinical mastitis surely by now you're not only heard of but used the California Mastitis Test. It's dirt cheap and works...but it too is and "observation".
0 x

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 am

0 x
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

Nancy Pelosi

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:03 pm

VanC wrote:http://www.hoards.com/11apr10highscc

http://www.hoards.com/?q=E_milkquality/mq11

Thanks for the links Van.Been a while since I had the opportunity to read Hoards Dairyman. Maybe our young "instant expert" will also learn a bit from these. I'm sure GMN has probably already read them. Sure would have been nice to have a 74K SSC. I just could never get there. :=(
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:30 pm

You're showing your age, TB.

Some of us can do it - technique, magic or luck, I don't know.
You know what I'm seeing? I put a low SCC herd with minimal mastitis problems out on lease - had no choice, they needed a home. A few of the lessees have told me that those cows are still low SCC within their herd. But what I will be getting back is be nice 3-quartered cows. Not number 42, her lessee culled her, without ever telling me she had problems.
My vet was nice. He told me straight out that they'd gone to a less controlled environment they had no immunity for when they left my care. Me, I always thought the idea that SCC could go too low or that cows needed exposure/immunity to mastitis was nonsense.
I just don't have patience with this. I have good cows being ruined because someone else can't teatspray or identify mastitis or treat in a timely manner...
It really was that simple.

I've never done whole herd dry cow therapy. Haven't had to. Annual SCC for the first three years I was sharemilking - 137,000; 101,000; 99,000 - and those last two years were with the herd on once-daily milking for the last three - four months of their lactation due to drought. Even a low SCC herd doubles when it goes to once a day.
I still get a laugh out of the vet who was working on my farm the first year and chatting away he says, "so has your cell count gone up?" (it's autumn, usually does rise in late lactation) and I say yes, and he starts giving me advice until I interrupted him with - "er, when I say it's gone up, I mean it's gone up to 130,000".
"Oh, okay, you don't need to do anything then."

I can't speak for your young expert. Appreciate the articles but if they're more than revision to any of the dairy guys on this board I'd be worried. We farm cows, we know this stuff. Or maybe not. Not if 173 or 129 or 250 or 829 or 806 or 15 or 159 or 168 are telling the story - all of them will be returned to me with fewer working quarters than they had last year.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Return to “Got Milk?”