members complaints did the trick

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Re: members complaints did the trick

Postby hillsdown » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm

I was talking to my husband about this as I couldn't remember. We were only given premiums if we were under 100000 with Beatrice/Paramalat. It took us a while to get there consistently, but testing for staph and culling hard made a huge difference and we were rewarded. The other thing is know your herd, a good herdsperson is worth their weight in gold. ;-)

I know some operations around here that I wish would just sell their quota and quit. I can't imagine how high their cell counts are, gross.

Best of luck GMN, would love to hear that you are getting those high premiums for a low SCC. :)
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:56 pm

regolith wrote:You're showing your age, TB.

Some of us can do it - technique, magic or luck, I don't know.
You know what I'm seeing? I put a low SCC herd with minimal mastitis problems out on lease - had no choice, they needed a home. A few of the lessees have told me that those cows are still low SCC within their herd. But what I will be getting back is be nice 3-quartered cows. Not number 42, her lessee culled her, without ever telling me she had problems.

Rego...looks like you were doing a wonderful job until you chose to lease the cow to someone who apparently doesn't care. Sorry about the ruined cattle. Should be some grounds for getting out of the lease.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:01 am

I needed to rant basically... lots of issues with leasing out cows.

Don't think I was doing anything special - but these are not all leased to one farm. The cattle are spread around eight farms. Six of the farms have had repeat infections they can't clear up or have lost quarters on my cows. One farm I'd have pulled every cow from months ago if I had anywhere else to put them - they've just 'accidentally' culled one of my top 3 year old Jerseys, exactly what I was worried would happen (maybe because of what they did with 42).

Both the farms I managed 2002 - 2006 were running 'grading' SCCs (hitting the 400K threshold several times a year) and on both I halved SCC in my first year. On one I can very clearly pinpoint the reason, the other was probably the same - I was finding and treating infections. When I had several weeks off with a broken bone I got back and found a cow was milking on two quarters, as no one had noticed she had mastitis to the extent the other two quarters were producing almost no milk. That same farm, I relief milked on two years later and the SCC had gone straight back up and treatment records had gone straight back down (cows treated were 25 - 50% of what they had been when I was there).

The causes of mastitis are different in this country - that must be noted. I haven't had to deal with serious staph issues since Scotland. A lot of vets/farmers here seem to think they have s. aureus, I'm kind of doubtful on that considering I've never seen a lab result of staph on any sample I've submitted.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Can't blame you for the "rant" if that's what you want to call it. Appreciate your restraint as I'd probably be in jail by now. Hope it works out for you.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 am

regolith wrote:I needed to rant basically... lots of issues with leasing out cows.

Don't think I was doing anything special - but these are not all leased to one farm. The cattle are spread around eight farms. Six of the farms have had repeat infections they can't clear up or have lost quarters on my cows. One farm I'd have pulled every cow from months ago if I had anywhere else to put them - they've just 'accidentally' culled one of my top 3 year old Jerseys, exactly what I was worried would happen (maybe because of what they did with 42).

Both the farms I managed 2002 - 2006 were running 'grading' SCCs (hitting the 400K threshold several times a year) and on both I halved SCC in my first year. On one I can very clearly pinpoint the reason, the other was probably the same - I was finding and treating infections. When I had several weeks off with a broken bone I got back and found a cow was milking on two quarters, as no one had noticed she had mastitis to the extent the other two quarters were producing almost no milk. That same farm, I relief milked on two years later and the SCC had gone straight back up and treatment records had gone straight back down (cows treated were 25 - 50% of what they had been when I was there).

The causes of mastitis are different in this country - that must be noted. I haven't had to deal with serious staph issues since Scotland. A lot of vets/farmers here seem to think they have s. aureus, I'm kind of doubtful on that considering I've never seen a lab result of staph on any sample I've submitted.

The older cows are prone to staph aureus, once they get it without treatment promptly and even then, its very hard to cure.

GMN
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”