Holy Milking Mama

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Holy Milking Mama

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 am

Turned my jersey out on the little pasture next to our house.
Went from just over 2 gallons, once a day milking, to over 3 gallons. :shock: :shock:
She's still getting her pellet feed. I cut out the barley, still has left over hay in her feed bunk.

I need a bigger pastuerizer or just another one. My current one is only 2 gallons.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Re: Holy Milking Mama

Postby bigbull338 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 pm

you got you a milk wagon.that jersey is more than paying her way.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Do you notice a difference in the taste of the milk ? Is she still feeding her calf and the "bum" ?

Speaking of the "bum" how is his mom doing, has she recovered from her surgery ?

Btw your parcel has left Canada and has gone through customs so you should get it soon.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

ANAZAZI
GURU
GURU

Postby ANAZAZI » Tue May 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Why would you pasteurize? :help:
0 x
Brindles have more fun!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue May 24, 2011 3:14 pm

My cousin has a milk cow and she pasteurizes their milk too even though her and her husband grew up on unpasteurized milk. I think they do it for the kids . Hubby grew up on pasteurized milk too from the family milk cow, but when he grew up he always drank raw milk right from the tank . He said there was nothing better than ice cold milk fresh from the tank. :D
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 pm

hillsdown wrote:My cousin has a milk cow and she pasteurizes their milk too even though her and her husband grew up on unpasteurized milk. I think they do it for the kids . Hubby grew up on pasteurized milk too from the family milk cow, but when he grew up he always drank raw milk right from the tank . He said there was nothing better than ice cold milk fresh from the tank. :D

And he was right ;-) So cold it will give you a brain freeze and so creamy you just can't get enough of it. And the milk companies have the gall to put "Whole Milk" on what they sell in the stores.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 pm

TexasBred wrote:
hillsdown wrote:My cousin has a milk cow and she pasteurizes their milk too even though her and her husband grew up on unpasteurized milk. I think they do it for the kids . Hubby grew up on pasteurized milk too from the family milk cow, but when he grew up he always drank raw milk right from the tank . He said there was nothing better than ice cold milk fresh from the tank. :D

And he was right ;-) So cold it will give you a brain freeze and so creamy you just can't get enough of it. And the milk companies have the gall to put "Whole Milk" on what they sell in the stores.

I can't even imagine how creamy tank milk is now with butterfat being so high in many herds, yumm . Hubby hardly drinks milk at all anymore ,just not the same when it comes from a store.
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed May 25, 2011 10:41 am

HD it has a richer flavor and the cream turned yellow.
Yep she is still nursing both calves.
We shipped the bum's mom this week. She had gotten alot better. Was looking good out on that green grass.
Oh boy! Can hardly wait. :D :banana: :banana:

Anazazi we tried drinking the raw milk, but it started to bother my daughters stomach so I pastuerized it. In my state we cannot sell raw milk. So if I want to sell it to friends and family it has to be pastuerized.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

Cool beans about your cow. Modern Jerseys give much more milk that people think. We have a first calf cow that gives over 30 lbs twice daily. Our daughter's cow gives the same amount. She is raising two calves right now. They are fat! Good grass and hay do make a difference.

That's odd that the raw milk bothered your daughter's stomach. There are people who want the raw milk because they say it is easier to digest. Who knows???
We've been drinking raw milk for over 30 years. My husband is very careful about sanitizing his equipment and cleaning the cow.
He tried to make cottage cheese recently. He let the milk set out at room temperature for 5 days and it wouldn't curdle. It was still sweet to taste. I use a cheese making kit to make mozzarella cheese.

We make butter too.

You can't sell milk in Texas unless you are a permitted inspected dairy. The milk laws are pretty strict. There are people who sell their milk at the Farmer's Markets in the Houston area. The health officials don't let them get by. They send inspectors to all of the markets.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Chippie it is weird, but I wonder if it has anything to do with both my kids having lactose problems when they were babys and getting switched over to whole milk. Had to get them the lactose free stuff for awhile.
They both drink the pastuerized milk with no problem.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 am

I luv herfrds wrote:Chippie it is weird, but I wonder if it has anything to do with both my kids having lactose problems when they were babys and getting switched over to whole milk. Had to get them the lactose free stuff for awhile.
They both drink the pastuerized milk with no problem.

if they was having lactose probs then,they may still have some probs now.my neices hubby has lactose probs as well,an he drinks lactose free milk.they make lil izzy drink the same milk as well.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat May 28, 2011 2:09 pm

It just bothered them back then. They can both eat ice cream, cheese and other dairy with no problem. It was just milk back then. No problem now.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 28, 2011 5:20 pm

chippie wrote:Cool beans about your cow. Modern Jerseys give much more milk that people think. We have a first calf cow that gives over 30 lbs twice daily. Our daughter's cow gives the same amount. She is raising two calves right now. They are fat! Good grass and hay do make a difference.

That's odd that the raw milk bothered your daughter's stomach. There are people who want the raw milk because they say it is easier to digest. Who knows???
We've been drinking raw milk for over 30 years. My husband is very careful about sanitizing his equipment and cleaning the cow.
He tried to make cottage cheese recently. He let the milk set out at room temperature for 5 days and it wouldn't curdle. It was still sweet to taste. I use a cheese making kit to make mozzarella cheese.

We make butter too.

You can't sell milk in Texas unless you are a permitted inspected dairy. The milk laws are pretty strict. There are people who sell their milk at the Farmer's Markets in the Houston area. The health officials don't let them get by. They send inspectors to all of the markets.

You'll find good milking jerseys. Just hard to find a whole herd of them so you can have a high producing dairy. Goat milk is usually recommended for people with certain stomach problems rather than raw cow milk. Milk can be sold "raw" in Texas. All you have to do is get a permit. Check into it as I have a couple friends that have been selling theirs for a few years now. You'd think store bought milk would be the easiest to digest as it's mostly colored water and all the "goodies" have been removed.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Got Milk?”