Jersey heifer calves

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
vclavin
GURU
GURU

Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Mon May 30, 2011 3:17 pm

After years of searching for a Jersey milk cow... we stumbled across a new dairy that bought one of our angus for his dairy herd. We got there a little early with the bull and as his wife was feeding the calves told us her husband would sell the heifer calves..$200 each. We pick out one Jersey heifer and on the way home decided we better have 2, just incase..
I've raised lots of beef calves on the bottle but not dairy heifers. They are 2 and 3 weeks old and already gone thru the scours. Our vet is to vaccinate them and ear notch test for BVD before we bring them home, anything else I should know that may be diffrent than raising beef calves? ( I understand Jersey don't tolerate cold very well... also.. suggestions for AI when they are old enough?.. like to plan ahead)
Thanks
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby 3waycross » Mon May 30, 2011 3:21 pm

vclavin wrote:After years of searching for a Jersey milk cow... we stumbled across a new dairy that bought one of our angus for his dairy herd. We got there a little early with the bull and as his wife was feeding the calves told us her husband would sell the heifer calves..$200 each. We pick out one Jersey heifer and on the way home decided we better have 2, just incase..
I've raised lots of beef calves on the bottle but not dairy heifers. They are 2 and 3 weeks old and already gone thru the scours. Our vet is to vaccinate them and ear notch test for BVD before we bring them home, anything else I should know that may be diffrent than raising beef calves? ( I understand Jersey don't tolerate cold very well... also.. suggestions for AI when they are old enough?.. like to plan ahead)
Thanks
Valerie

Based on my friends recent experiences with a 3yr old Jersey cow (hooked her everyday for a week) who is now without horns I would say the best thing to AI them with is a 30-06.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 30, 2011 7:01 pm

vclavin wrote:After years of searching for a Jersey milk cow... we stumbled across a new dairy that bought one of our angus for his dairy herd. We got there a little early with the bull and as his wife was feeding the calves told us her husband would sell the heifer calves..$200 each. We pick out one Jersey heifer and on the way home decided we better have 2, just incase..
Thanks
Valerie

Weigh them asap so you calculate the amt. of milk replacer correctly. Directions are typically for a 100 lb beef calf. Then go out every morning expecting to find both dead. :lol2: But a good high quality textured calf starter in front of them right away (18% protein medicated with Deccox or Bovatec).

Now why in the world would your friends want to milk a black angus??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Are they close enough to you Val that you can buy milk from them to feed your calves ? If not TB gave great advice about the calf starter and be really careful with milk replacer, they do best on real milk but a real replacer at least 20-20-20 will work as well.

Good luck with them .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm

TexasBred wrote:Now why in the world would your friends want to milk a black angus??

Chocolate milk maybe?
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Postby Suzie Q » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I would say they are going to use the bull over their Dairy cows so as the calves are worth a little more. I bet they don't try to milk a bull!!!!!!
0 x
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Thanks
Valerie

Weigh them asap so you calculate the amt. of milk replacer correctly. Directions are typically for a 100 lb beef calf. Then go out every morning expecting to find both dead. :lol2: But a good high quality textured calf starter in front of them right away (18% protein medicated with Deccox or Bovatec).

Now why in the world would your friends want to milk a black angus??

:lol: TB, he just wanted to get them bred quickly! He won't be able to keep any for replacements into is dairy herd, he halso has a beef herd...maybe wanting them for that herd?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm

hillsdown wrote:Are they close enough to you Val that you can buy milk from them to feed your calves ? If not TB gave great advice about the calf starter and be really careful with milk replacer, they do best on real milk but a real replacer at least 20-20-20 will work as well.

Good luck with them .

They are a little ways but they said they sell all their milk.. I , of course, didn't think to ask about buying milk from them for the calves. There's an amish lady not too far away that charges $2 galon for Holstein milk - didn't figure that would be much good? Or has Holstein milk inproved over the years>
Thanks Hillsdown, I use Kent milk replacer for the beef calves so will probably use it on he Jersey Heifers. They have 19 more "heifers" to calve. Don't know what breeds they are, the gentleman bought these cows from a dairy down south. I believe he has some Holsteins, guernsey, Jersey of course and not sure what else.
When the time comes, I assume I'd have to AI to a Jersey bull? Maybe they'll have sexed semen so I can get more females.... we all know females are worth more!! ;-)
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 pm

dun wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Now why in the world would your friends want to milk a black angus??

Chocolate milk maybe?

YUM!!!!
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:42 pm

TB & Hillsdown,

Kent formula 1
Neomycin Sulfate: 1,600 g/ton ( could be 1.600g? hard to read)
Oxytetracycline : same as above
-------
Protein: 20%
Fat: 20%
fiber: max .15%
calcium: min .75% max 1.25%
Phosphorus: .7%
Vitamin A: min 30,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3: min 10,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E; min 150 IU/lb

Dried Whey, Dried whey protein concentrate, Animal and vegetable fat, dried whey product, ...
....... Selenium yeast, Reed-Sledge Peat

Calf weight:
70lbs 1 1/2 qts twice day

Cold weather feeding:
Add 1-2oz per feeding of Advance Milk Energizer to increase the total energy level of the milk replacer during times of cold stress.

Start feeding calf starter when 4 days old.
==========================
Hillsdown , you said 20-20-20... what is the last 20?

Do I need to get some of what they are using and slowing chance the calf over to the new milk? Are their systems picky about changing milk cold turkey?
THanks
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 31, 2011 2:07 pm

That should work ok. Kent usually makes good products. I prefer not to have an antibiotic like CTC in milk replacer but don't guess it will hurt anything. You now how to raise calves so they will be in good hands. Send pics when they get about 4-5 months old. Should be real beauties.

PS....dehorn them as soon as possible.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 7:32 pm

TexasBred wrote:That should work ok. Kent usually makes good products. I prefer not to have an antibiotic like CTC in milk replacer but don't guess it will hurt anything. You now how to raise calves so they will be in good hands. Send pics when they get about 4-5 months old. Should be real beauties.

PS....dehorn them as soon as possible.

Holy Smokes! I didn't know they had horns! When do they appear and how soon can this procedure be done on them?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Tue May 31, 2011 7:35 pm

vclavin wrote:
hillsdown wrote:Are they close enough to you Val that you can buy milk from them to feed your calves ? If not TB gave great advice about the calf starter and be really careful with milk replacer, they do best on real milk but a real replacer at least 20-20-20 will work as well.

Good luck with them .

They are a little ways but they said they sell all their milk.. I , of course, didn't think to ask about buying milk from them for the calves. There's an amish lady not too far away that charges $2 galon for Holstein milk - didn't figure that would be much good? Or has Holstein milk inproved over the years>
Thanks Hillsdown, I use Kent milk replacer for the beef calves so will probably use it on he Jersey Heifers. They have 19 more "heifers" to calve. Don't know what breeds they are, the gentleman bought these cows from a dairy down south. I believe he has some Holsteins, guernsey, Jersey of course and not sure what else.
When the time comes, I assume I'd have to AI to a Jersey bull? Maybe they'll have sexed semen so I can get more females.... we all know females are worth more!! ;-)

90% of the dairy products in the U.S. are made with Holstein milk, and it's been that way for many years. Why would you think the milk isn't good?
0 x
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

Nancy Pelosi

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue May 31, 2011 7:45 pm

VanC... I should have said.. Does it have any cream now?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm

vclavin wrote:VanC... I should have said.. Does it have any cream now?
Valerie

Yes, it always has, but Jersey milk is higher in milk solids. So, as a rule, you will get more cream from a gallon of fresh Jersey milk than you will from a gallon of fresh Holstein milk.
0 x
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

Nancy Pelosi

Return to “Got Milk?”