Jersey heifer calves

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

True but thousands of calves are raised everyday on holstein milk. Jersey milk is much richer but by the time it's mixed with milk from other breeds at the creamery and then all the butterfat and other solids sucked out we're left with little more than white water to buy at the grocery store. 3% butterfat at best.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
hillsdown
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9928
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby hillsdown » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

TexasBred wrote:True but thousands of calves are raised everyday on holstein milk. Jersey milk is much richer but by the time it's mixed with milk from other breeds at the creamery and then all the butterfat and other solids sucked out we're left with little more than white water to buy at the grocery store. 3% butterfat at best.


Also in the last 10-15 years Holstein genetics have been aimed at higher butterfat as you get more moola for your milk.

Val the replacer I use when I have to is 24% protein 20% fat and 20% milk sources ,no medication. The other one I used was even higher but at $125.00 a bag just does not make it feasible. Btw all of our Holstein calves were raised on real milk at the dairy ,we never used replacement and I contribute that to a huge part of my great success with bottle calves.

I thought you might be able to buy excess milk somewhere, like milk that cannot go into the tank because of WD times . How are they doing ?
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:28 pm

We raised all our dairy calves on fresh milk as well but never what we called "dump milk". Had a valve that allowed us to take it right out of the pipeline still warm from mama. That probably had as much as anything to do with wife's great success raising calves. That and the fact that the ladies are just better at it that we guys. :cry2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5603
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Jersey's are actually quite easy to bottle raise IFFFFF you get the nutrition right. Holstien milk or replacer meant for holstien calves won't cut it(as you've already figured out). Fat is the key.
As far as AI'ing them, sorted jersey is one of the best values out there. Jersey heifers will concieve with sorted semen almost as well as they will with conventional and you can have OK results using it on the lactating cows as well. Get in touch with me before you purchase semen for them and I'd be happy to let you know which sorted bulls are performing well for me at that point in time as I use thousands of sorted units a year and fertility can vary from bull to bull.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:10 pm

cow pollinater wrote:Jersey's are actually quite easy to bottle raise IFFFFF you get the nutrition right. Holstien milk or replacer meant for holstien calves won't cut it(as you've already figured out). Fat is the key.
As far as AI'ing them, sorted jersey is one of the best values out there. Jersey heifers will concieve with sorted semen almost as well as they will with conventional and you can have OK results using it on the lactating cows as well. Get in touch with me before you purchase semen for them and I'd be happy to let you know which sorted bulls are performing well for me at that point in time as I use thousands of sorted units a year and fertility can vary from bull to bull.

I've yet to see a milk replacer labeled for "Holstein calves" only. We raised a few jersey calves every year on our regular milk which was 99% holstein with no problems.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:07 pm

hillsdown wrote:
TexasBred wrote:True but thousands of calves are raised everyday on holstein milk. Jersey milk is much richer but by the time it's mixed with milk from other breeds at the creamery and then all the butterfat and other solids sucked out we're left with little more than white water to buy at the grocery store. 3% butterfat at best.


Also in the last 10-15 years Holstein genetics have been aimed at higher butterfat as you get more moola for your milk.

Val the replacer I use when I have to is 24% protein 20% fat and 20% milk sources ,no medication. The other one I used was even higher but at $125.00 a bag just does not make it feasible. Btw all of our Holstein calves were raised on real milk at the dairy ,we never used replacement and I contribute that to a huge part of my great success with bottle calves.

I thought you might be able to buy excess milk somewhere, like milk that cannot go into the tank because of WD times . How are they doing ?


Hillsdown,
I'm feeding them 1 1/2 cups replacer mixed with 3 pints warm water. I'm also giving them a bottle of warm water to drink after they finish their milk, which they promptly suck down. They have shade and now use it after I showed them it was much cooler there under the trees. They were so darn skinny and looked sogaunt that I felt they were not drinking enough water from the tub I gave them.I have seen them put their front legs in the small tub of water and sip a little water, just not enough to overcome the heat. Anyway, they are doing quite well. I bit my lip at the slight scoots and attributed it to the vaccines. I've been told that antibiotics given with vaccines would render the vaccine (MLV) almost a waste of time... I really wanted them to have the best chance . So I've watched them carefully and they are so darn cute!!! They now watch for me to bring them their meals. I have found a lamb nipple is their favorite.
thanks so much for your help..... by the way, do I have to be careful wioth weight gain on the girls or do they just always look - "dairy" aka skinny.
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 pm

cow pollinater wrote:Jersey's are actually quite easy to bottle raise IFFFFF you get the nutrition right. Holstien milk or replacer meant for holstien calves won't cut it(as you've already figured out). Fat is the key.
As far as AI'ing them, sorted jersey is one of the best values out there. Jersey heifers will concieve with sorted semen almost as well as they will with conventional and you can have OK results using it on the lactating cows as well. Get in touch with me before you purchase semen for them and I'd be happy to let you know which sorted bulls are performing well for me at that point in time as I use thousands of sorted units a year and fertility can vary from bull to bull.

Thanks, I will do that...assuming I don't forget!! Maybe I should by semen now and have it ready for them next year?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 pm

The dairy said their mothers give 50lbs a day and are around 1000lbs body weight.
Does that sound avout right? He did not know for sure if they were prebred but said they sure looked the part.
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Forgot, milk replacer is running 50 lbs for $64. Can't get non medicated.
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

User avatar
hillsdown
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9928
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby hillsdown » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Sounds like you are doing well Val. :D
Getting them to eat a dairy starter calf ration will help them fill out (ration, not pellets the will like it much better) . Dairy calves should not be big fat pigs, but you do not want them skin and bones either. We raise them differently than beef as we concentrate more on frame than muscle and fat.

Imho I would wait on the semen, you usually have to buy them in packs of 10 or 5 and alot can change in a year ,you don't know who will be the top of the semen list then as well.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:01 pm

hillsdown wrote:Sounds like you are doing well Val. :D
Getting them to eat a dairy starter calf ration will help them fill out (ration, not pellets the will like it much better) . Dairy calves should not be big fat pigs, but you do not want them skin and bones either. We raise them differently than beef as we concentrate more on frame than muscle and fat.

Imho I would wait on the semen, you usually have to buy them in packs of 10 or 5 and alot can change in a year ,you don't know who will be the top of the semen list then as well.


Thanks Hillsdown, I'll take your advice on the semen.

The girls are doing great, no diahhrea except from the grass they are eating. They are taking to the really small pasture we have put them in. They come running when it's time to eat! Hillsdown, could you post a pic or so of your baby calves that are on the bottle? Please!
Thanks
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

User avatar
hillsdown
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9928
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby hillsdown » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Valerie this was my last Holstein bottle calf, she is 2 months old in the pic. Sorry it is not a great pic, I just have a hard copy and do not have my scanner hooked up right now so I had to take a pic of the pic with my phone. She was raised on milk replacer .

Image
Image

This was my bottle calf this year she is 1/4 Holstein and 3/4 Gelbvieh and is 2 months old as well in the pic. Raised on milk replacer and she was a turkey to get to eat calf starter .

Image
Image

Here is another bottle calf I had she is a balancer and was 3 months old in the pic.
Image

This was Stormy last year as a first calver and her steer. I should add that she had the highest ween weight of everyone in my herd last year. Her steer also brought me the most $'s per pound and he was the heaviest . :D
Image
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks Hillsdown,
Gives me an idea of what to expect to see. I've lots to do today but will try to upload the pics I took of Honey and Bambi.
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

vclavin
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm
Location: 70+ miles east of Kansas City, Mo

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby vclavin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm

We have added another heifer, hubby named her "Fawn" she much darker colored than the other two Jerseys. The first two are eating the cows feed which was ground up for the chickens. To that I've added calf manna and a very small amount of xtra soybean meal. They have a huge area of grass that has fescue, timothy and red clover .. all very tall and ready to cut for hay. Girls Love it there and are starting to eat good and gain a little but are nowhere near Hillsdowns girls. I'll try to remember to get pics this evening at feeding. I bought them collars and short leashes to them to the fence, otherwise you can picture trying to feed three heifers with 2 hands!! Figured I may as well teach them to lead while we are at it. Honey is extremely easy to get to lead, Bambi hates it and is a lttle more stubborn about it, Fawn is still not sure but willing top give it a try every now and then.
We have 1 more coming so far and dairy guy had 4 Jerseys left to calve.
Do you cull Jerseys females for temperament? Or are they always gentle?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Jersey heifer calves

Postby regolith » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 am

There's a whole range of temperament in Jerseys - but some heifers will play up when you start milking them then settle down after a few days. Unless one is really vicious, I don't think there's any farmers who would cull them without giving them time to learn the routine first. A bad starter might never be a problem once she's accustomed to the dairying life.
Some cows with a nervous/high temperament never seem to get completely over it but they can fit into the herd with a bit of care - handling them quietly, never splitting them out alone, never getting into an enclosed space with that particular cow.

I'll cull or sell on temperament just because it makes my life easier not to have nervous animals in the herd. And it's genetic, so I don't want her heifer calves either.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive


Return to “Got Milk?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests