Homesteading dairy cow

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Homesteading dairy cow

Postby piedmontese » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:46 pm

its alot different to have 1 dairy cow all natural than a whole herd.they r not trying to make $$ with there 1 cow.i have never heard of a dairy that does not supplement there cows with grain and alfalfa even when they are on pasture.my dad milked for yrs and they always got grain.if i remember right we did back off on the alfalfa when we had them on wheat pasture.i think we gave them prairie hay then.they really milked heavy when they were on the wheat pasture.
0 x

mlazyj
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mlazyj » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 am

If they really wanted to be all natural they wouldn't be taking any milk from the cow , just leaving it for the calf . You cann't reason with folks with that mind set . When the calf gets bigger and they get less and less the lite might go on , or when the cow doesn't breed back maybe . These are the same folks that won't vaccinate their cows . So when they buy a deseased animal and it transmitts to your herd and costs you your living , being natural doesn't count for much . Alot of the world goes hungry farming naturally
0 x
In a perfect world I wouldn't raise Angus .

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 am

mlazyj wrote:If they really wanted to be all natural they wouldn't be taking any milk from the cow , just leaving it for the calf . You cann't reason with folks with that mind set . When the calf gets bigger and they get less and less the lite might go on , or when the cow doesn't breed back maybe . These are the same folks that won't vaccinate their cows . So when they buy a deseased animal and it transmitts to your herd and costs you your living , being natural doesn't count for much . Alot of the world goes hungry farming naturally

And a lot go hungry because they refuse to eat the cow or the offspring
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

AllForage
GURU
GURU

Postby AllForage » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

piedmontese wrote:its alot different to have 1 dairy cow all natural than a whole herd.they r not trying to make $$ with there 1 cow.i have never heard of a dairy that does not supplement there cows with grain and alfalfa even when they are on pasture.my dad milked for yrs and they always got grain.if i remember right we did back off on the alfalfa when we had them on wheat pasture.i think we gave them prairie hay then.they really milked heavy when they were on the wheat pasture.

come up to WI, I can show a holstein dairy that feeds no grain. Here is the link. http://www.grazeonline.com/articles/nograinholstns.html
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Good thing you all don't have to fill quota anymore, alot would be losing theirs . ;-)
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:03 am

hillsdown wrote:Good thing you all don't have to fill quota anymore, alot would be losing theirs . ;-)

Did I read that right?? 40 lbs. per head per day of milk?? I know grazing has always been the most cost effective way to produce milk and "all natural" I suppose allows you to charge more for it but a guy would starve to death down here on that kind of production. I've dried off cattle giving twice that much.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 am

I agree with MlazyJ, these people sound like they have their minds set, it sounds like you can't suggest any sort of feed supplement, even organically grown, so I don't see much point... we have shares in a couple jerseys of our neighbors , and they feed organic oats, barley and wheat as a supplement.. those cows haven't freshened in a LONG time so their milk production is down to about 35 lb/day... If I were to recommend anything to these people, it would be to get a heavy producing beef cow... they'll get a better calf and the cow will look better when just pastured
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby piedmontese » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:
hillsdown wrote:Good thing you all don't have to fill quota anymore, alot would be losing theirs . ;-)

Did I read that right?? 40 lbs. per head per day of milk?? I know grazing has always been the most cost effective way to produce milk and "all natural" I suppose allows you to charge more for it but a guy would starve to death down here on that kind of production. I've dried off cattle giving twice that much.

u dried off cows giving 80 lbs a day? thats 10 gallons right?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:14 pm

piedmontese wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

u dried off cows giving 80 lbs a day? thats 10 gallons right?

Yessir, almost 10 gallons....but these were exceptional milkers and there were only 3 like that. But 50 lbs. at dryoff was very common. Fourty won't even pay the feed bill on grain fed cattle, not even back in the 90's. Looks like these folks have a good setup. I'd like to know what price they get for their milk compared to regular dairies. Continueing to use home grown bulls will require some new genetics to be added "someday" I assume. Only other thing that didn't make sense was worrying about acidosis on a grass fed operation with no grain and running a 4.10% or higher butterfat. Just don't happen. Cattle with acidosis have depressed butterfat numbers.
0 x

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am

Hubby said when he was a kid and living at home on the dairy, the cream on the milk was so think you could stand a spoon in it. Are there genetic or breed that still does that? Jersey milk from the Amish does not contain that thick of cream. Is it genetics or feed or both?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

so how much cream did you want exactly? I've never tried standing a spoon up in it, but you see what a Jersey can produce.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Genetics is 25% of a cows ability to produce milk. The rest is management and most of the management is FEED. What we see over time is that the right genetics combined with the right management go above and beyond what the rest of the herd is doing. For example: a cow bred to produce 5% butterfat will produce 4.5% butterfat on a farm that doesn't feed to target butterfat but on a farm that DOES feed and manage for butterfat that same cow can blow her herdmates out of the water as she has the tools that she knows how to use.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Well, It's garbage-in-garbage-out, A neighbour has a pair of jerseys and he skimped out on the hay, it's just awful stuff, hardly any legumes, and doesn't smell nice either, so he got a hay chopper so they'd eat it, and has to supplement more grain no doubt. He's feeding worse hay to his 2 dairy cows than I do to my beef herd even when they aren't milking. Given a feed situation like that, I don't think he gets the benefit of the jersey breed. When I milk a couple of my beef cows, they give about 80% of a these Jersey's milk per day, and maybe about 80% of the BF content. So all in all, they give in the vicinity of 64% overall daily BF, and are fed no grain. Next year I might try feeding one my milkable cows a good dose of grain for a week and milk her for a while and see what she can do with it just out of curiosity.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 am

Nesikep wrote:Well, It's garbage-in-garbage-out, A neighbour has a pair of jerseys and he skimped out on the hay, it's just awful stuff, hardly any legumes, and doesn't smell nice either, so he got a hay chopper so they'd eat it, and has to supplement more grain no doubt. He's feeding worse hay to his 2 dairy cows than I do to my beef herd even when they aren't milking. Given a feed situation like that, I don't think he gets the benefit of the jersey breed. When I milk a couple of my beef cows, they give about 80% of a these Jersey's milk per day, and maybe about 80% of the BF content. So all in all, they give in the vicinity of 64% overall daily BF, and are fed no grain. Next year I might try feeding one my milkable cows a good dose of grain for a week and milk her for a while and see what she can do with it just out of curiosity.

Increasing the grain in the diet will increase production but will depress butterfat while raising milk protein levels. If you could test the milk from the beef cow it probably has a higher butterfat level than the jersey milk.
0 x

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 am

TexasBred wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Well, It's garbage-in-garbage-out, A neighbour has a pair of jerseys and he skimped out on the hay, it's just awful stuff, hardly any legumes, and doesn't smell nice either, so he got a hay chopper so they'd eat it, and has to supplement more grain no doubt. He's feeding worse hay to his 2 dairy cows than I do to my beef herd even when they aren't milking. Given a feed situation like that, I don't think he gets the benefit of the jersey breed. When I milk a couple of my beef cows, they give about 80% of a these Jersey's milk per day, and maybe about 80% of the BF content. So all in all, they give in the vicinity of 64% overall daily BF, and are fed no grain. Next year I might try feeding one my milkable cows a good dose of grain for a week and milk her for a while and see what she can do with it just out of curiosity.

Increasing the grain in the diet will increase production but will depress butterfat while raising milk protein levels. If you could test the milk from the beef cow it probably has a higher butterfat level than the jersey milk.

I guess what I heard was true... more milk then less cream...more cream then less milk.
What's best for the cow? How do you know how much to supplement and still get rich milk without hurting the cows condition? TB, will my feed formula work for the Jerseys?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

Return to “Got Milk?”