Homesteading dairy cow

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Homesteading dairy cow

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:48 pm

[quote="vclavin] I guess what I heard was true... more milk then less cream...more cream then less milk.
What's best for the cow? How do you know how much to supplement and still get rich milk without hurting the cows condition? TB, will my feed formula work for the Jerseys?
Valerie[/quote]
The high fiber ration you use will work better at both production and holding BF levels than the more typical grain ration fed to dairy cattle. Your milk protein level might drop a bit but you're not getting paid for it anyway. ;-) If you're simply producing milk for the calf and your own use just feed for the needed production. That's always easiest on the cow. Jersey down in this area seldom get over about 850-900 lbs. so most are not fed as heavily as holstein or other larger breeds. In a dairy situation I'd probably feed them about 24=26lbs. of grain ration per day and and equal amount of grazing/hay/ other roughage.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Cottonseed
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

That''s 50lb intake TB - my Jerseys have a maximum intake of about 18 kg dry matter, 16.5 to 17 per day is more realistic, which is about 40lb. We don't successfully get intakes up higher than that by substituting supplements for grass, though possibly no-one here uses TMR in sufficient quantities to overcome the rumen bulk/time grazing restriction with grass.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 am

regolith wrote:That''s 50lb intake TB - my Jerseys have a maximum intake of about 18 kg dry matter, 16.5 to 17 per day is more realistic, which is about 40lb. We don't successfully get intakes up higher than that by substituting supplements for grass, though possibly no-one here uses TMR in sufficient quantities to overcome the rumen bulk/time grazing restriction with grass.

Only about 44 lbs. of actual dry matter. They can eat it that much. Good feeds have lower NDF than poor quality feeds thus higher intake. Divide it into multiple feedings. Most high producing holstein dairies strive for 55 lbs. or more of dry matter per head per day.

Since Val will be milking this cow for her own use she could get by with less feed. I keep thinking "Dairy" and high production.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Got Milk?”