Butter Fat and No Cycling Questions

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Butter Fat and No Cycling Questions

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Noticed the amount of cream in my milk has dropped off, is this normal? Been milking her since the end of Febuary.
Still getting the bull developer feed, ground barley and out on pasture.
Normal or do I need to do something to bring it back up?

I have a steer with her and put the heat detector strip on her, nothing. Other then her getting a nasty attitude a couple times no sign of him bulling on her at all. Did catch him licking her neck the other day, but not sure that means anything. He's been with her for over a month.
Should I just forget about trying to do AI on a natural heat and just sync her?
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Butter Fat and No Cycling Questions

Postby kickinbull » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:57 pm

ILH, the loss of cream is from grass. It will happen every summer. I have tried before to get the butterfat up by adjusting feed, not worth it. I'm not sure about her lack of cycling, it may have taken place at night. Make sure she has a proper mineral, not mineral salt blocks. Good luck.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

What is in the bull developer feed and the protein content? Is it a sweet feed? We feed our cows alfalfa hay in addition to grass hay. They need the higher protein. We feed a 18% protein lactation pellet. If needs be, you can boost the protein with soy bean meal or cottonseed meal. I have used Calf Manna in the past too. The cows really liked it.

Feeds for beef cattle do not supply the protein & mineral requirements that a lactating cow needs.

We are in a terrible drought right now : (

I wanted to add that our son's little cow, Cookie, gets 20 lbs of feed a day. 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. This is her first lactation and she is not raising her calf, another cow is. That cow gets 20 lbs a day too.
Last edited by chippie on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Fat and protien take tons of energy to produce... She'll take care of babies on the ground first, herself second, and then she'll think about reproduction once those two things are in place. You have to give her enough prosperity to do all three. If the first one fell off, it's safe to assume that the other two did as well.
You either need to bump the feed or quit milking her. Syncing her will get her thinking about getting pregnant but if she's not cycling at 120 plus days in milk something is way out of whack and she's not ready to support an embryo regardless of wether or not you can give her one to support.
Remember, she's not a Hereford. :mrgreen: She's half the size and feeding alot more "calves". It takes alot of feed to give her what she needs to do it.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm

She is getting 2 gallons of the bull developer in the morning plus another gallon of ground barley, then she get's a gallon of bull at night with 2 gallons of ground barley.
She is also on pasture and there is an alfafa bale in a feeder in her pasture. Plus she has a mineral block.

chippie I will look at the tag and let you know. It is a pellet feed made near us.

I know she's not a Hereford CP, just wondering what else I can do. Thought she had cycled at one point because of her attitude, but could get the heat patch on her because of the rain, it wouldn't stick.

Another question, what type of fly spray could I use on her? The flies are getting bad. I poured her a couple weeks ago with Brute, but I can only use it on her every 6 weeks.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 pm

If you can, weigh your feed so that you know how much she is getting.

You can buy spray and pour ons labeled for lactating dairy cattle. I have had good results with Durasect Pour On. I buy it at our feed store.

http://tinyurl.com/Durasect-Pour-On
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Chippie got the label

Crude protein 14%
crude fat 3.5%
crude fiber 13.5%
calcium min .75% mav 1.25%
phosphorus .5%
salt min .25% max .75%
potassium .8%
vit A 5,000LB
vit D 500lb
vit E 10lb
selenium .3 ppm
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Those guarantees are pretty typical but definitely not a feed designed for a dairy cow. A list of the ingredients would be more helpful. Butterfat tends to become depressed when grain:roughage ratio becomes inverted. If she's eating 24-25 lbs. of the grain mix per day she needs a minimum of that same amount of roughage in the form of grazing and the alfalfa you've made available. If not she'll begin developing subclinical acidosis which depresses butterfat but often will increase protein. As the temperatures increase dairy cattle will continue to eat their grain mix but grazing and roughage intake will fall off considerably. Full blown acidosis will lead to depressed milk production as well as long term physical affects in the cow. I'd move up to an 18% dairy ration for additional protein and if necessary mix in a couple pounds of beet pulp or cottonseed hulls in with the pellets for additional roughage with each feeding.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:45 pm

TB the place I buy from does not carry any dairy feed, nor do any of the other feed stores around here.
Weighted the feed today and it came out at 24#'s of pellets and ground barley.
Will see if they have beet pulp or cottonseed hulls.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:TB the place I buy from does not carry any dairy feed, nor do any of the other feed stores around here.
Weighted the feed today and it came out at 24#'s of pellets and ground barley.
Will see if they have beet pulp or cottonseed hulls.

You can topdress it with some soybean meal or other high protein supplement. Haven't done the calculations but shouldn't take over a couple lbs. per day extra. That would get the protein up. I'd really work to see that she gets adequate roughage.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 am

Butterfat always falls off in the summertime. The heat is killer on dry matter intake and that is one important aspect to producing butterfat. Dairymen always struggle to keep components up through the summer months.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:03 pm

No beet pulp. The place where they get it from lost all their stuff due to the Yellowstone Eiver flooding. No more til this fall after the harvest.
Got some soybean meal instead. Going to start giving her some of that tonight.

Her production had dropped off briefly, but is back up.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby piedmontese » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:52 pm

chippie wrote:If you can, weigh your feed so that you know how much she is getting.

You can buy spray and pour ons labeled for lactating dairy cattle. I have had good results with Durasect Pour On. I buy it at our feed store.

http://tinyurl.com/Durasect-Pour-On

1 gallon of pellets weighs 5 lbs.
0 x

piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby piedmontese » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm

couldnt u just give her 20% cubes?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am

piedmontese wrote:couldnt u just give her 20% cubes?

Cubes usually contain very little grain or energy. Just a protein supplement. Cattle being pushed for extra milk production need adequate protein but energy and digestibility of the feed is more important. Don't overdo it on the soybean meal. It's very high protein and could cause a real train wreck.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”