Genetic color question

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Genetic color question

Postby dun » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 pm

dun wrote:2 red factor Holsteins if they're red. A Jersey Holsten cross has a wild pinto looking paint job except for the lack of a line they look like longhorns

Rahter then use the generic "pinto" I should have used the term "overo", different looking paint job and the lower legs particularly have strange markings. The diary got rid of their last crossbred so I can;t get any pictures to show you what I mean. But the legs markings are pretty much the giveaway
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Well, crikey.
I know the markings you mean, just opened the first page of my bull catologue and - there's a crossbred cow... Well, I went to see if her picture's on the LIC website and didn't see the bull among hte HF daughter-proven list, glanced back down and a) she's not a daughter, she's the *dam* of a genomically 'proven' young holstein bull. She's a crossbred cow!
http://www.lic.co.nz/lic_Sire_Lineup.cf ... info_id=18
that bull has typical crossbred markings
the bull is marked like a Holstein, daughter like a crossbred
two daughters with cross-type markings under this bull
Any black/colour above the foot disqualifies the animal from being a convincing Holstein.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Do they look like these ? Twin Holstein heifers that I posted about. Lulu and Tululu aka Sanne and Bart. Their dam was a blk and white heifer and their AI sire was a red carrier. Brand spanking new, Mr HD had just assisted the dam and was carrying them to put in my calf building. They are in the calving area of our freestall barn where we bring heifers/cows in so they can be watched more closelywhen they come close to their due dates.

Last edited by hillsdown on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Your heifers have way more white on them than the one I saw, guess I'll just have to swing by the dairy soon to get a pic. thanks
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm

They can have more red than white too just as blk and whites very in color patterns so do red and whites. I just had to share the pic of my twin heifers ,I have spoken about them quite a bit throughout my years here on CT. Bart died at 3 months of age from a birth defect, her liver was not attached to the main artery . After many health problems she died on my lap as we rushed her to the vet, we had her posted and that is when we found out that she had been lucky to have lived at all. Her and her sister had to be with each other always ,if I separated them they would not drink or eat. That says something about twins, they were also almost symmetrical in color patterns.

Here is another pic of a R&W Holstein , she has more red.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 pm

hillsdown wrote:They can have more red than white too just as blk and whites very in color patterns so do red and whites. I just had to share the pic of my twin heifers ,I have spoken about them quite a bit throughout my years here on CT. Bart died at 3 months of age from a birth defect, her liver was not attached to the main artery . After many health problems she died on my lap as we rushed her to the vet, we had her posted and that is when we found out that she had been lucky to have lived at all. Her and her sister had to be with each other always ,if I separated them they would not drink or eat. That says something about twins, they were also almost symmetrical in color patterns.

Here is another pic of a R&W Holstein , she has more red.

She's beautiful Hillsdown! Now I'm at a loss for description, I thought it would be easier that itt is. Pictures really are worth a thousand words..... The more I look at the Holsteins the more I'm now wondering if she is a red Holstein and not a cross. Dairy man said that the heifer dam was supposed to have a pure Holstein calf but figured it was a cross with the red color. Are their DNA tests to see what breed or mix of breeds dairy cattle are?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

Return to “Got Milk?”