Heifer production

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
regolith
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer production

Postby regolith » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:11 pm

That link was useful. It puts 20 litres at 5.3 gallons, which means I've thought your US cows were all producing much higher than they actually are, because in imperial gallons that would be more like 4.5

I know imperial units to some extent (gallons, lb, oz, feet, inches, miles, pts and fl.oz, acres) alhough at my age we were taught metric in school but everyone still used imperial (Britain). Then moved to NZ which is entirely metric and learned the kilometres, hectare, metres, litres, kg system.
Which is why I was a little thrown to see on this forum recently that a US gallon is not an imperial gallon. Have you got any more anomalies like that to trip me up?

Proverbs: it depends on what sort of Holsteins you've got, but 22 - 23 litres isn't an unusual peak for grassfed Holstein herds in NZ - and that's on top quality grass in late spring. Herds doing much more than that per cow are probably being given a supplementary feed on top.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Regardless of what measure of volume you use here or there, in the US milk is sold by the pound and cow records are maintained using pounds. I suppose in NZ and other countries it would be kilos. But when the milk gets to retail it's again sold in pints, quarts and gallons.

Rego....weiners are sold 10 to a pkg....yet hot dog buns are sold 8 to a pkg. :lol2:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Proverbs 12:10
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Proverbs 12:10 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Sorry for making the milk measurement more complicated than needed. We'll stick with liters going forward. Hope to get some pics soon of the heifers. HD: God has blessed our ministry in many ways. This dairy could help a lot of ugandans if we are successful.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”