Electric Dehorners

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Farmerjon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Electric Dehorners

Postby Farmerjon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 am

What is the best electric dehorner you use on your calves?
Where can a person purchase this dehorner?
Why is this dehorner best to you?

In the market for a new electric dehorner. Vet has scooped horns for us for the girls show calves for years so we didn't end up with scurs. Adding ten or more bucket calves for my freezer beef sales, I see the need to dehorn and don't see the need for the vet and such an intrusive operation. Have helped the neighbor years back with his goats and his electric dehorner at best was junk. Before spending my cash, thought you folks with your hands on experiences could lead me in the correct direction. So what say you all? Is there one brand, one dehorner that is going to stand out or is it personal preference or what?????? Thank you for your answers and help in advance.
0 x
God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.
I am so far behind, I think I am in first place!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Re: Electric Dehorners

Postby hillsdown » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 pm

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_gro ... 9C7AFE1816

You can also get them at any farm supply store .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Farmerjon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Farmerjon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have an old set that was okay. I am sure in the past 15 years there have been advancements. I know where to get them, I know how to use them, was looking for someone to step up and say something like they have burnt 40 calves a year for 5 years with brand x and no scurs or problems. How many in a row they can do, how long it takes to heat up. Things like that. Real life experiences good and bad so I can make a reasonably sound decision. I don't want to buy a set that takes ten minutes between horns on the same calf to reheat. Stuff like that.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:24 pm

I would like to know the same things. Also if you have used them to burn the horn area after you have dehorned larger calves or cows.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 pm

I used the top one on that link for years ,did at least hundred Holstein calves a year with no problems . You need to make sure you make a total ring around the nib so that it kills the horn completely. But then again you said you know everything ; so you would know that if it is an actual electric dehorner it would stay hot all the time as long as it is plugged in . :roll:

Btw a horned animal cannot have scurs ,scurs only occur in polled animals.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I would like to know the same things. Also if you have used them to burn the horn area after you have dehorned larger calves or cows.

Kenny ,if you are asking if you can use it as a cauterizer to stop blood loss and then kill the surrounding area so there is no regrowth ,yes you can.
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

Farmerjon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Farmerjon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm

hillsdown wrote:I used the top one on that link for years ,did at least hundred Holstein calves a year with no problems . You need to make sure you make a total ring around the nib so that it kills the horn completely. But then again you said you know everything ; so you would know that if it is an actual electric dehorner it would stay hot all the time as long as it is plugged in . :roll:

Btw a horned animal cannot have scurs ,scurs only occur in polled animals.

Have I stepped on your toes Hillsdown? I never said I knew everything. I said, "I have an old set that was okay. I am sure in the past 15 years there have been advancements. I know where to get them, I know how to use them, was looking for someone to step up and say something like they have burnt 40 calves a year for 5 years with brand x and no scurs or problems. How many in a row they can do, how long it takes to heat up. Things like that. Real life experiences good and bad so I can make a reasonably sound decision. I don't want to buy a set that takes ten minutes between horns on the same calf to reheat. Stuff like that."
I don't understand why the attitude. In fact in your first post you only offered the website of Valley Vet, didn't explain which dehorner you preferred or thought the best.
Whenever I didn't get a good ring and got a partial horn like a bad bent big toe nail, vet always said, "cut that scur off with your horse nippers". So, even in error I have called it a scur. When you get a partial piece grow after burning, what do you call it if you don't mind.
I have dealt with some electric dehorners that weren't as hot as my wood burner set for highlighting wooden projects. That is the main thing I was wanting to not purchase. Hey, is this the wrong area to ask? Figured if it was for dairy, who else to ask???
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 pm

FJ, I said I have used the top one on the link for many years, but you need to get a good ring burnt around to ensure there is no regrowth of the horn. I have used butane and it does indeed cool after a few uses but if you are doing only 3-5 at a time ,really does not matter. You need to decide on your price range and how often you are using them and at what age you are dehorning, because if you can do them as soon as they are little nibs them I would just use the paste.

A little more info about age and breed might help as well. :tiphat:
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

Farmerjon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Farmerjon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 pm

2 month old Jerseys. I run them in groups according to size/weight. That helps me regulate what amount of milk replacer I feed or if they get weaned as they start to consume their grain. I don't use or thought of using paste as I saw some terrible results of calves run together and rubbing on each other. If I were using individual huts, that would be a thought.

So when you get an incomplete burn and get a spot of regrowth, what do you call it??

My scales and chute are in the barn, not keen on using butane there. I have been lax in past years where I did have to put them in a show chute outside and heated a copper pipe with a torch and burnt them. But now that I am by my lonesome working my calves (daughters married and gone, wife laid up with a crushed foot injury from work) I was just trying to take advantage of others knowledge.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Farmerjon wrote:2 month old Jerseys. I run them in groups according to size/weight. That helps me regulate what amount of milk replacer I feed or if they get weaned as they start to consume their grain. I don't use or thought of using paste as I saw some terrible results of calves run together and rubbing on each other. If I were using individual huts, that would be a thought.

So when you get an incomplete burn and get a spot of regrowth, what do you call it??

My scales and chute are in the barn, not keen on using butane there. I have been lax in past years where I did have to put them in a show chute outside and heated a copper pipe with a torch and burnt them. But now that I am by my lonesome working my calves (daughters married and gone, wife laid up with a crushed foot injury from work) I was just trying to take advantage of others knowledge.

We just call it regrowth but it may be semantics and called scurs in your area. I agree about paste, never used it on my purebred registered holstein calves even though they were all in their own igloos ,they could rub and get it in their eye but have used it on my beef calves that are free range without problem . If I were you I would just get a budder ,you do them at around 2-3 months of age when the horns pop up. If you are by yourself you need to tie them tight with a halter so they cannot move. If you are still getting growth from a dehorner you are not using it correctly even if it is 15 years old .

The butane dehorners work just like a butane curling iron, not like a butane lighter . Maybe you should visit a few suppliers as well as read up on them, doing hands on research usually is the best anyways .

Wishing Mrs FJ a speedy recovery and hope she is feeling better soon .
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

Farmerjon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Farmerjon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 pm

hillsdown wrote:We just call it regrowth but it may be semantics and called scurs in your area. I agree about paste, never used it on my purebred registered holstein calves even though they were all in their own igloos ,they could rub and get it in their eye but have used it on my beef calves that are free range without problem . If I were you I would just get a budder ,you do them at around 2-3 months of age when the horns pop up. If you are by yourself you need to tie them tight with a halter so they cannot move. If you are still getting growth from a dehorner you are not using it correctly even if it is 15 years old .

The butane dehorners work just like a butane curling iron, not like a butane lighter . Maybe you should visit a few suppliers as well as read up on them, doing hands on research usually is the best anyways .

Wishing Mrs FJ a speedy recovery and hope she is feeling better soon .

When you said butane, I assumed a burner for heating an iron. Which a barn and open flame, yeah not a good thing.
I have a nose bar I built for my chute to hold their head in place nose back so horns are accessible. It isn't that I am getting a lot of growth/regrowth from my burner. My freezer beef business has gone through the roof and so needed to add some calves without breaking the bank, both daughters got married last year. So after maybe 7 years we are back feeding some jersey calves for the meat. The last time we used the old burner, it cooled to much to do a good job without a wait period per calf. So I was primarily looking for suggestions of hands on experiences that do both horns without a long down time. The burner can heat up again while moving a calf out of the chute and getting another in and nosed in. I strongly dislike the wait between horns of the same calf.
Just explained the situation more in depth, don't need your sympathy.
0 x

Keren
GURU
GURU

Postby Keren » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:09 am

Regarding the scurs ... I have found that (here in australia anyway) regrowth from incorrect disbudding/dehorning results in scurs in goats, but horns in cattle. Here, scurs on cattle are the little wobbly nubs that polled cattle get.
0 x
I'll go without sleep trying to save one and then mope around for days if I lose it. -- jkwilson

Return to “Got Milk?”