metritis

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
regolith
GURU
GURU

Re: metritis

Postby regolith » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 am

The mastitis is staph... which explains why I thought I was dealing with antibiotic resistance because staph aureus is notoriously hard to clear up. It wasn't in the herd before the cows were leased out, so it's not too hard to guess why it's there now.
The primary way of dealing with it will be dry cow therapy and drying off individuals early if they're contributing too much to the bulk SCC. My vet reminded me about culling, I told him I've already culled a huge number of problem cows. The ones that are left... they're mostly worth a go with DCT.
Still waiting for the water test results. Vet thinks I should have semen-tested the bulls. He also recommended having rested them, which is best practice but I didn't see the need when they were only 3 - 4 weeks walking with the main herd and not serving too many cows. It takes double the number of bulls to allow for rotating them to give rests.

I managed to talk myself into AI-ing another three cows the other day, and have now arranged to have the AI bank picked up so that I can't do that again :-) Two of them were metritis cows, one I'd kept the bank on hand specifically to give her (and 389 who I'd done ten days earlier) another chance, the other I'd decided was a cull but apparently changed my mind at the realisation that there's going to be something like 20 - 30 open cows. She'd calved with her udder down at her hocks as a two year old and has been a late calver every year since... but nice natured and her production is well above the herd average this year, as a four year old.
No pus from any of those three. Maybe they've got a chance of getting in calf this time. I think the dry heifer that had a breech calf is bulling today... she's due, and prancing around rather more wildly than usual. No more sign of pus from 332 (the fifth heifer) either but she's having full-on heats at seven day intervals.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 am

staph mastitis has no cure.but you might be able to semi control it by doing some time consuming things.1.use the best barrier teat dipp you can get.2.wash the cows baggs an teats with wash clothes.only using 1 clothe pre cow.if you use that clothe on several cows your just spreading the prob.3.dipp the milkers in bleach everytime you pull them off a cow.4.cull all pos staph cows.a friend of mine got staph in his herd an culled 60 cows out of 240 milking cows.an he still couldnt stop the staph because the whole herd had it.an it ended up ruining him an putting him out of the dairy business.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Vet out to do some preg testing today. All the metritis cows are open - the four heifers, and the heifer and cow I saw later. The heifer whose calf had its head cut off to be delivered, he thought had adhesions and definitely time to give up on her :( The heifer who is cycling every two - three days is cystic on the right ovary and he says can be treated if I decided to carry her over for another chance. Haven't decided on that yet, her production and SCC is good, not spectacular.

The vet who usually covers this area is in the bad books and doesn't know it yet... I found horns on one of my 'dehorned' calves two weeks ago. Plus, I asked this other vet today: "Have you ever seen a foot that looks like that come right?" pointing at 24 and he immediately says no, it looks like it's infected in the joint. Which is what I thought. And had specifically asked about 4 weeks previous when my vet was examining it. Likely we couldn't have saved it then anyway, there's nothing can be done for it now.

That cystic heifer is maybe identifying every cow in heat for me? It doesn't matter now, I've got two cycles consistent observation since mating finished and there were no real surprises today, except for one of the metritis heifers I'd AI'd mid-January and hadn't seen a cycle since. And another heifer in standing heat on 2 January was still holding to her first mating, two months earlier.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Most time a simple shot of GnRH is all that's needed to clear up a cystic cow. I've rarely seen them repeat with the problem in subsequent years.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:38 pm

One dose of Gnrh... Only one... The very first time that you suspect that that one shot didn't do it, ship her.
I see alot of the same cows getting treated over and over again. It seems like the only ones that get saved respond on one dose and everything beyond that is wasted effort.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Will do that I think. She's high index, one of the highest in the herd, it makes sense to give her that chance. I've got 10 I'm going to hold over to get in calf next spring so she'll make 11.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”