How old do calves have to get...?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
regolith
GURU
GURU

How old do calves have to get...?

Postby regolith » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 pm

...before they'll stop hitting on anything with an udder??

Honestly, I want to be putting some of these babies in with the adult herds in May. They're hand-reared, haven't been suckling their dam since less than a week old and the youngest of them were weaned at the end of November, three months ago.
I had five groups of cattle to bring in and out of the shed as smoothly as possible so the vet could vaccinate them all yesterday, put the main group of calves in the closest paddock and didn't have time to move them on down the farm... which meant my lame cow had to go out in the same paddock this morning because there's no other grass close enough.
Next time I look I can't see her legs because she's got three massive calves attached to her uddder.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: How old do calves have to get...?

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 pm

From what I've seen, some wean easy, and others never seem to wean. My big fat #49 steer is 1050 lbs, 11 months old, and has been weaned since october, and I caught him sucking on a dry cow today... The lame cows tend to not chase them off, I've seen it many times now. Maybe get a few "nose-prickers" to put on the calves that will poke the calf when he goes to suck, or pokes the udder, making the cow kick, I've seen them made of plastic and were pretty cheap. And the calf can still eat grass with it on too.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

Some never quit. One starts and they others copy it. : (
It can be very irritating and frustrating that the cow lets them nurse.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm

That poor cow had no choice... she's going on a truck asap because she's so lame.
Well, five anti-suckers for the top calves I'm keeping at home to AI won't break the bank but hopefully it's not a lifelong thing. I can just imagine a herd of dairy cows all wearing yellow plastic spikes.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 pm

regolith wrote:That poor cow had no choice... she's going on a truck asap because she's so lame.
Well, five anti-suckers for the top calves I'm keeping at home to AI won't break the bank but hopefully it's not a lifelong thing. I can just imagine a herd of dairy cows all wearing yellow plastic spikes.

Maybe you can suggest rainbow colors to the manufacturer? :lol:
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 am

HOT PINK!!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Got Milk?”