milk prices

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
User avatar
GMN
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: southwest, MO

milk prices

Postby GMN » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm

This is not going to be a good situation, milk prices in the $15-$16 range or lower in the next few months-and feed costs in the $14 cwt range, I don't get it. All these new cell rules and bacteria rules were supposed to make our milk more likeable for export and keep the prices up, isn't that what DFA told us, repeatedly in many letters-now this crap-I'm getting real tired of being broke, I waited all these months for my milk production to go up, and now prices are going down-I think its all a gimmick!
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: milk prices

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

GMN wrote:This is not going to be a good situation, milk prices in the $15-$16 range or lower in the next few months-and feed costs in the $14 cwt range, I don't get it. All these new cell rules and bacteria rules were supposed to make our milk more likeable for export and keep the prices up, isn't that what DFA told us, repeatedly in many letters-now this crap-I'm getting real tired of being broke, I waited all these months for my milk production to go up, and now prices are going down-I think its all a gimmick!

GMN I know where you're coming from and I know how you feel. I notice too that DFA has not changed one bit since we quit dairying.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder
Posts: 16553
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: texas

Re: milk prices

Postby bigbull338 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:38 pm

what DFA says will happen with milk prices an what happens to milk prices are 2 differant things.i talked to a guy i know thats milking 350hd aveing 65lbs a day.an he said it takes 45lbs a day for him to breakeven on feed costs.an he is feeding baleage an a TMR mix year round.
0 x

User avatar
GMN
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3290
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: southwest, MO

Re: milk prices

Postby GMN » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 am

yeah then the rich ceo sends out these letters, go get em, hope you all can make it thru this slump-while he sits in his 3 story mansion, and eats cavier and goes to the country club to play his 8 rounds of golf, and makes millions off of us, and they preach the change that has to come to keep dairy farmers in business, but all its doing is making everyones life more miserable, maybe DFA needs to grow a bigger set of you know what, and stand behind us for once instead of just bowing down to the USDA and others who want to take our livliehoods away from us-
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: milk prices

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:43 pm

bigbull338 wrote:what DFA says will happen with milk prices an what happens to milk prices are 2 differant things.i talked to a guy i know thats milking 350hd aveing 65lbs a day.an he said it takes 45lbs a day for him to breakeven on feed costs.an he is feeding baleage an a TMR mix year round.

Bull you know DFA can pretty much do what they want with milk prices without any logical explanation. Always have and always will. The 45 lb. break even sounds about right...but I'd betcha he's got a dozen in the barn not giving that much yet he still milks them. Seen it for years.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: milk prices

Postby regolith » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Our forecast is down for next year - not that that means much, I've seen it move over 20% either way from the forecast to what we actually get paid at the season's summing up.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: milk prices

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:34 pm

regolith wrote:Our forecast is down for next year - not that that means much, I've seen it move over 20% either way from the forecast to what we actually get paid at the season's summing up.

Prices were over $22.00 a hundredweight just a couple of months ago. NO reason milk price should drop that much, that quickly. Not to mention we're going into the time of the year when milk production is much lower and components harder to come by.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: milk prices

Postby regolith » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

The dairy rep who told me about the milk price says the export market is down... I didn't think it was down that much though, was dropping steadily a few months back but they only pulled the milk price back about 5%.
Last time I remember you talking about low prices our markets went up before yours did - or your companies weren't passing on the improvement as quickly. That would have been early '10.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder
Posts: 16553
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: texas

Re: milk prices

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am

im sure he does have few under the breakeven every1 does.i do know that he hauls a load of culls to town every week.an he also has enough baleage an hay an summer isnt going good yet.
0 x


Return to “Got Milk?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest