Udder lump

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
vetdrchandan
Beginner
Beginner

Udder lump

Postby vetdrchandan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 am

I am treating a cow who has an obstruction in teat canal just the place where the part of teat and udder
Meet teat. I infused corticosteroid and also gave serratopeptidase but nothing happened. Can any one have any idea. Is it possible to dry that particular teat.
0 x
Fed Up with QUACKS

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Udder lump

Postby suzorse » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 pm

I had 1 cow with that and the vet came out and cleared a spider,which is tissue blocking the spicture (sp?) she had milked fine the previous lactations out of it ,and I have 1 now that is blocked has been since calving and it dryed up just fine on its own, I will have it cleared when she calves next,as I calf share I did not totally catch that it was a problem, she has been fine in all 4 quarters,and if this is a first calf heifer it may be a blind quarter and I would just leave it a lone
Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:07 am

Sounds like a teat pea/calcification. Yes, the quarter can be dried off while still milking the other three but there will be some risk of mastitis developing in the un-milked quarter. (Dry cow therapy can't be used if the other three quarters are producing human food, but teat seal could be).

One of mine I could feel a lump just about there last year and every once in a while it would 'calve' a piece and she'd be blocked, a bit of manipulation would get the pea out and she'd be fine again. The whole lump seems to have disolved now as it can't be felt any more.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

vetdrchandan
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vetdrchandan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 am

If it is a pea or calcification than can it will be removed using teat dilator???
0 x
Fed Up with QUACKS

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

In that position, I'm not sure. You'd be best to ask a vet who's done several such removals.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm

vetdrchandan wrote:If it is a pea or calcification than can it will be removed using teat dilator???

It can be removed but it was not with a dilator . We used a cone shaped instrument with a spring attachment , reached in, expanded and then grabbed the obstruction. Cannot remember the name of it and all my searches come up blank, sorry .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

vetdrchandan
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vetdrchandan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

I used teat dilator but my doubt still exist a what the reason. That lump is so tiny still resisting milk let down.
0 x
Fed Up with QUACKS

Return to “Got Milk?”