Jersey problems

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
ranchgirl08
Beginner
Beginner

Jersey problems

Postby ranchgirl08 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 pm

HI everyone, I have a 3 year old Jersey/Swiss cross and we are having trouble with her bag. Last year when she calved we couldn't get any milk out of the left half of her bag by milking. We used one of those needles with holes on both ends and got a lot of milk out of both quarters. If we continue milking (by hand) after we poke the needle up there we can get milk, but once we quite for a few seconds it seems to close up right away. The teats seem to be open, we weren't sure if there is a gland above them that keeps closing or if it could be a tumor? She can raise two calves on the right side alone, but it would be great to get the other side going and get another calf put on her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Re: Jersey problems

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

It sounds like she has a blockage at the base of the teats which could be from an injury, previous mastitis or genetic. If the blockage was at the teat end or the middle of the teat I would say one could still try and dilate the teat and nip off scar tissue(if that's the cause) but to treat a base blockage in my experience usually leads to infection and re-blockage after a time. Perhaps consult your vet, he will be able to tell you if it is a tumor or scare tissue.

IMO - Let her be unless your vet is confident that surgery will be successful.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

ranchgirl08
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ranchgirl08 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I talked to my vet but they don't deal much with dairy cattle and he had never heard of anything like that before. We will probably just leave her as she is since she can still raise two calves.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm

you need to find a vet that drs cattle.an have them reem out the teats.but honestly it sounds like no matter what you do her teats will close back up.
0 x

farmland401
Beginner
Beginner

Postby farmland401 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 am

Often times a cow with a blind quarter(s) will make up for that production in the other quarters. I would hesitate the continued use of inserting a drain tube into the teat canal. You may be asking for mastitis. If the cow is healthy and producing milk and the 'blind quarters' are not causing issues of mastitis or continued leakage I would lean to leaving the quarters alone. Inserting anything into a quarter for any reason is generally not in your best interests.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”