Angus milk cow? Why not?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Taurus
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus milk cow? Why not?

Postby Taurus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:05 am

I won't be surprised if someone used some Angus or other beef cows on their dairy operations as a dairy cow. My friend uses Brahman x Holstein cows as dairy cow at his place and I've seen few Angus/or hereford x Holstein cows as dairy cow around here. Some were even purebred Angus cows.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:40 pm

My nearest neighbor milked a Charolais for several years till he finally got a Jersey.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Okie Amazon
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Okie Amazon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

Updating! Milking a half gallon a day and leaving the rest for the calf. (Who is the most independent little be nice I have ever seen). If he takes it into his head to go lie down in the grass at the opposite end of the place from everyone else he just does it. Mama is of no use to him except at mealtimes. He is all bull, though. I laughed at him for twenty minutes the other day after he decided he WAS going to lay down in a stand of sand plums. He just couldn't make those dang "stems" bend enough, so he went to head-butting and stomping and just generally throwing a little tantrum. Finally he allowed as how he's lay down BESIDE them instead!
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”