When is milk consumable?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: When is milk consumable?

Postby rosehaven » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks Chippie! Went on the website for butter, looks pretty easy. Does the cream have to be preped in anyway to make butter? Like be room temp vs. straight from the fridge?
0 x

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 pm

From our two gallons of milk, I skim nearly a pint of cream the following morning. Sometimes I let it warm to room temperature to make butter and use chilled water for the washing; other times I've got it out of the fridge and started cold. I use a food processor. I keep using the machine as I add and pour off water too, because it's so easy that way. Then I use two butter paddles to work the butter in bits about as big as the palm of my hand until there's no water in it. (Most of those pressing instructions seem a little brief on the recipes I've read). When each bit is water-free I drop it on a big plate and when it's all done, I spread it out and add salt, mix, then pat into pieces as big as I want. I usually make it so there's enough for a couple of days' use in each packet (I've been wrapping in grease-proof paper, mainly) and store them in the freezer. But it's lasting better than I expected in the fridge as well. I think I've been doing a really good job of washing and then removing the water.

When you start working the butter, it's sort of crumbly and brittle. When it has no water, it's greasy and pliable. It's a lovely job.
0 x

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Aweome thanks! I will try tomorrow and keep everyone updated.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:19 pm

I use a blender to make butter. My kids love the buttermilk. I always found it does take quite awhile to wash the butter.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:29 am

What speed do you use the blender? And isn't buttermilk sour?
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 am

I use a high speed. When it starts to thicken up make sure you start to fold it over so the cream will go to the bottom. You will hear it change in sound when the butter starts to form. It will be these little tiny clumps. I use a hand held strainer with really tiny holes to pour the buttermilk off.
No it is not sour, that is cultured buttermilk. It will surprise you on it's flavor.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 pm

My machine has two speeds and a pulse option. I whip my very thick cream on the first (slower) speed and it starts to turn in less than a minute. Then I pulse it, so I can judge when the butter milk is separating out, then I add a little cold water, give it a few more turns, then pour off the buttermilk. I don't need to use a strainer because the butter is a huge solid clump and I get about half a glass of buttermilk. It has an interestingly fresh and very rich flavor. I only like a little of it, but my partner seems to like it occasionally. Otherwise it goes out to the hens most of the time.

I suspect that if you over-beat the butter, you start introducing too much air and liquid back into it. The first time I tried, the product looked a bit like some sort of weird dairy-whip. You don't want to go that far.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I do not add water to my butter. It whips up like whipping cream and I just let it continue until the sound changes and the butter forms.
I would use the old wooden paddle butter churn I have but the paddles smell rank so I just use it for decoration.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 pm

You don't wash the buttermilk out?
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:38 am

Putangitangi wrote:You don't wash the buttermilk out?

ditto ^ You should always wash the butter after churning. It really does affect the taste and how long it keeps.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Yeah I wash my butter after I pour the buttermilk off.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I wash mine by continuing to mix water through the butter, not just washing off the outside, so I am adding water to the butter at that point. But the later working with the butter pats/paddles, gets it all out again. I've seen some people's method of squeezing it in a mesh bag, but I'm not convinced that gets all the water out, because of the physical nature of the fat.

Buttermilk itself is not bitter, but it will make butter go off quite quickly if not completely removed.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 am

Ok I understand what you are saying now.

I put on my EMS gloves and put the butter in a bowl of cold water and work it. I continue to change the water. I just keep squeeze and working it until the water is clear. I have also done it under running water.
I like your idea though. Might try making butter with my Kitchen Aid mixer instead of my blender.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:37 pm

The first time I tried making butter, I worked it under cold water in a bowl and that worked alright, but the mixer method gets it really clean without quite so much physical effort on my part.

Yesterday I made two lots, one from cold cream and one from room temp. The room temp butter was much easier to get the water out of in the last part of the process - it was very soft by the time I'd worked it, but that made it easier to smear between the pats to release the water. I could still pat it into nice shapes for wrapping afterwards, with the smooth sides of the pats.
0 x

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 am

Well made butter yesterday ... well more like whip butter but it was still good. next time should be better.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”