When is milk consumable?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: When is milk consumable?

Postby rosehaven » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Do any of you make cheese? If so which kinds and how? I'm loving the milking thing and may upgrade to a true dairy breed at some point. The milking is very relaxing. :D
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I've made cheese. Mozzarella and ricotta.
I used the Pioneer Woman mozzarella recipe. Simple and easy.
You can google recipes.
Look up Cheese in the Recipe page on this site.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:44 pm

My partner does all the cheese-making and has had some success with some, but he's having difficulty with the longer-maturing cheeses to date.

He made Mozzarella in big quantities in the first year (from the Angus milk) and we're still eating that out of the freezer and it's still good. His ricotta is good and is lovely in pizza bases and various other recipes. He makes very nice feta, has made some lovely Camembert-style cheeses and recently tried Fontina (Italian semi-hard). The Edams aren't smelling that good, but they look very pretty in their wax. :)

I bought him a spare fridge and we wired in a brewing thermostat to keep the temperature right. But the weather's been really cold and the fridge is in an uninsulated shed, so it's a bit colder than it should be at the moment.

The latest change is the addition of gloves, which is hopefully removing the probable addition of some extra unwanted bacterial cultures, which may have been interfering with things. You can wash your hands a lot and still not be clean enough for cheese, I suspect - at least if you're also doing a lot of outdoor farm-related work as well.

Best book so far found: Mary Karlin; Artisan Cheese Making at Home.
0 x

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Where do you get your renen(?) for the mozzarella?
0 x

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Here it's sold in the supermarket, but we also get it directly from a cheesemaking supplies vendor, where we also get the cheese cultures, molds, etc.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 am

I order my cheese making supplies from Austin Homebrew
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Putangitangi wrote:The latest change is the addition of gloves, which is hopefully removing the probable addition of some extra unwanted bacterial cultures, which may have been interfering with things. You can wash your hands a lot and still not be clean enough for cheese, I suspect - at least if you're also doing a lot of outdoor farm-related work as well.

Best book so far found: Mary Karlin; Artisan Cheese Making at Home.

I totally agree with the hygiene thing - I made several batches of cheese from an early calver a few years ago, without paying excessive attention to hygiene (I'd been around cheese-makers before so knew the basic protocol). As soon as calving started for real every single batch failed, and the only thing I could attribute it to was the extra bacteria floating around me and the working area from handling more cows and calves every day.
I can't boast of that cheese - the fresh curd tasted good but I couldn't keep the rats and birds off it while it was maturing, so it all came to nothing. A little bit tempted to try again now that I've got a milking cow, two weeks till calving starts, and a vermin-proof container.
I had to go to my nearest city for rennet - the smaller stores won't get it in. Still have some but I don't know if it keeps for that long, the cow who slipped that year was only three or four then and she's coming nine this year.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Back when we did the goat dairy deal our second biggest seller was yogurt. Cheese was third and I hated doing butter because you needed a seperator to get the cream out to make it and all we had was a hand churn.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

I'll see if the store has any. where would they keep it? Like near the dairy or some place else?
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 am

you can make your own yogurt by using a live culture unflavored yogurt as your starter. Dannon plain yogurt will work.
You may have to order your rennet online. I don't know where you live, but most grocery stores do not carry it. regolith lives in New Zealand. I live in Texas.
This is where I order my cheese making supplies. Quick service and you can't beat the shipping price.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_361

Their mozzarella cheese making kit is an easy way to get started, especially if you do not have a lot of milk.

[youtube]5odBodQ0pZM[/youtube]
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:16 am

I have to order mine online. Even the little organic speciality store does not carry it here.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Another question for you guys. what does it mean for one side of the cows bag to be really hard even after milking? She's not sore and there is nothing in the milk like chunks or blood. any thoughts?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm

rosehaven wrote:Another question for you guys. what does it mean for one side of the cows bag to be really hard even after milking? She's not sore and there is nothing in the milk like chunks or blood. any thoughts?

Edema. Milking her out and massaging that side will help it. Or you can give a shot of Lasix and take care of it quicker.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 pm

rosehaven wrote:Another question for you guys. what does it mean for one side of the cows bag to be really hard even after milking? She's not sore and there is nothing in the milk like chunks or blood. any thoughts?
Is this in the cow you've been milking for a while, or newly calved?
0 x

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm

This is the cow that had calfed a couple weeks ago. this hardness thing started maybe like 2 days ago. it did seem softer tonight and i massaged it a bit thought it would help.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”