When is milk consumable?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: When is milk consumable?

Postby dun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 pm

rosehaven wrote:This is the cow that had calfed a couple weeks ago. this hardness thing started maybe like 2 days ago. it did seem softer tonight and i massaged it a bit thought it would help.

At this late date it wouldn;t be edema. Do a CMT on the milk from that side, could be just the beginnings of mastitis. The CMT will usually show positive at the earliest time of mastitis.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

rosehaven
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rosehaven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:05 am

How do i do that? Call the vet?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 pm

rosehaven wrote:How do i do that? Call the vet?

I would think that your local feed store should have the kit. CMT stands for California Mastitis Test. The kit consists of a plastic paddle with for sections and a testing solution. You strip milk from each quarter into the chambers and add the solution. The color it turns tells you if they are clean or have mastitis.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm

If you can't get CMT solution and paddle, strip the milk onto a flat, dark surface. You'll see any tiny flecks in it that aren't visible when stripping onto the floor.

If the quarter is hot and painful I'd go ahead and treat with an intra-mammary antibiotic immediately. Otherwise wait till you see definite change in the milk (compared to the other quarters) before treating. In two days I'd think there'd be something to see now if it is mastitis.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:11 pm

The reason I recommended the CMT was from back in our goat dairy days. We sold raw/whoole milk and by products from it so we tested every doe every morning milking. It got to be so much of a routine that the extra minute it took wasn;t even noticed
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=84277

This is what I faced this year. Might help. As one old friend told me when you pour the milk if it doesn't foam then you have mastitis. Danged if he wasn't right on that.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

juliapeter007
Beginner
Beginner

Postby juliapeter007 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 am

Teet quite the same in each calf will not feed the calf after getting their fill tonight, so I milked her. It's probably you like the taste of colostrum depends on whether the calf drained her because I did not do a good job today, I started milking. For her in the chest with one last night came to Today is the same. Teets actually one of the milk was flowing only one is complete, but he does not know to switch sides. Colostrum will not hurt you, just plain milk taste different.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”