What do you like/dislike about these cows?

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
GMN
GURU
GURU

Re: What do you like/dislike about these cows?

Postby GMN » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 pm

do you have SCC limits in New Zealand?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Curtis36 wrote: Ur probly right :) It was just a thought cuz my dad's herd is also on pasture a large percentage of the time and he regulary gets rewards for his cells counts as well, but he also has good udder maintenance.
I didn't know texas had much of a dairy industry, so i'm learning everyday on this site:)

Curtis, dairymen in Texas are a dieing breed. First off the climate is not conducive to dairying and even though many have the money to open a dairy, good dairymen are few and far between. They just "milk cows". I don't have an exact number but feel like probably 80% of the dairies in Texas have closed, sold out or gone broke in the past 15 years. There are still a few hot spots for dairying but most are now in West Texas and the Texas panhandle.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

GMN wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I would cull all of them. sorry. :(

are you nuts?

Some might thing so but I don't. Just dam picky about my cattle especially if all you have to make a judgement call on is one pic of each and nothing else.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

GMN wrote:do you have SCC limits in New Zealand?

Yes. About ten years ago we had to have a ten day average of less than 400,000 SCC. Now a single collection at 400,000 or over and you get docked so many cents a litre. It's a sliding scale so that just over 400,000 is less damaging to your income than say 700,000.
The milk company will refuse to collect from persistently grading farms. I don't think it happens a lot but it does happen. Presumably they rear calves or do beef afterwards. ...or lease their farm out to people like me (that's what happened with the organic farm I managed for two years).
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 pm

TexasBred wrote:
GMN wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I would cull all of them. sorry. :(

are you nuts?

Some might thing so but I don't. Just dam picky about my cattle especially if all you have to make a judgement call on is one pic of each and nothing else.

I have a really terrible photo of 137 somewhere not long after she calved last year. I'd just been saying "look at my beautiful cow" to the vet when we were dehorning calves and then went home and downloaded this photo off my camera... very often you don't see the rough coats or low condition or snotty noses or anything like that when you see them every day.
137 classified very well the other day. Didn't put up anything else pictured for classification, though maybe will do 825 next year. Fwiw I don't think any of those others would classify well on TOP, and I don't know the first thing about judging cows that way.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

regolith wrote:
GMN wrote:do you have SCC limits in New Zealand?

Yes. About ten years ago we had to have a ten day average of less than 400,000 SCC. Now a single collection at 400,000 or over and you get docked so many cents a litre. It's a sliding scale so that just over 400,000 is less damaging to your income than say 700,000.
The milk company will refuse to collect from persistently grading farms. I don't think it happens a lot but it does happen. Presumably they rear calves or do beef afterwards. ...or lease their farm out to people like me (that's what happened with the organic farm I managed for two years).

The state has SSC levels and base payment +/- depending on your SSC level. Some individual milk plants are also putting even more strict limits on SSC counts to ensure they get highest quality milk. Same for butterfat and protein.
0 x

tncattle
GURU
GURU

Postby tncattle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am

I like the looks of the grass!!
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”