Raw Milk

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
vclavin
GURU
GURU

Raw Milk

Postby vclavin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Can anyone tell me the shelf life (fridge shelf that is lol) for raw milk? I realize it won't spoil but sour so I'm asking how long it will stay sweet.
Thanks
Blessings'
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Re: Raw Milk

Postby bigbull338 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:50 pm

since its fresh milk id say 7 or 8 days.but you need to watch it as milk spoils quicker in other times of the year.now you can freeze fresh milk.
0 x

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

bigbull338 wrote:since its fresh milk id say 7 or 8 days.but you need to watch it as milk spoils quicker in other times of the year.now you can freeze fresh milk.

I have milk in the fridge dated 10-30-12 that is still good, gave it too the cats. So I guess at least 10-11 days so far. I put the milk in an ice chest of water/ice to bring the temp down quickly. It stay in this cold water till I need more room then it goes to the fridge. I can hold 8 gallons plus ice in the ice chest and 8 gallons in the fridge.
Blessings
Valerie
PS, I have 2 gallons of cream LOL and 3lbs of butter in the freezer!
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 pm

make ice cream out of the cream.ive got a buddy that can drink a gal of raw milk a day.plus he makes 2 or 3 gal of ice cream a wk or more.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:33 am

We drink over a gallon a day and feed the extra milk to the dogs, cats and chickens.
My husband is building a new pig pen and we will be feeding the extra milk to some hogs soon. Nothing better than milk fed pork.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:08 pm

I have had it still be good at 21 days old, but it was kept all that time at 32 degrees F
Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

Nelson143
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Nelson143 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Hey gang I have a 40 cow beef herd currently an have just given up a lease on a large cropping property. I have been given an option to lease a dairy farm in 18 months time. Just wanting some thoughts on re following. By some jersey and freesian bull calves off a good dairy farmer and rear some bulls that could be mop up bulls after AI in my future dairy hers or indeed be herd sires. :banana: :bday:
0 x
watson

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:05 am

Nelson143 wrote:Hey gang I have a 40 cow beef herd currently an have just given up a lease on a large cropping property. I have been given an option to lease a dairy farm in 18 months time. Just wanting some thoughts on re following. By some jersey and freesian bull calves off a good dairy farmer and rear some bulls that could be mop up bulls after AI in my future dairy hers or indeed be herd sires. :banana: :bday:

Why? According to your other post you don't like dairying.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:38 am

If you're going to be starting a dairy, I think now would be the time to look at getting females and have them bred... dairy bulls are easy to find, heifers not so much.
In his other post he doesn't make much sense either.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

adamblart7
Beginner
Beginner

Postby adamblart7 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 am

Its fresh milk id say 1 week .but you need to watch it as milk spoils quicker in other times of the year.now you can freeze fresh milk.
0 x

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm

There are many variables which can determine the shelf life of milk, so that no one can say with certainty it will last X number of days in every situation. Ambient temperature and/or time of year is only part of the equation.

I've never really given it a lot of thought, because the only thing that I care about is that it stays fresh just long enough till the next milking.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”