blood in milk

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
hopalong
Rancher
Rancher

blood in milk

Postby hopalong » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:10 am

my jersey calved on wed,,, have a bit of trouble getting her \to drop her milk down,,, noticing a little red ring at the cream line of milk in a jar, and flakes on the filter

What do you suggest I do

thanks in advance
0 x
not sure what goes here

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: blood in milk

Postby dun » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Not really all that unusual, just keep milking her and keep an eye out for when it comes clear.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm

How old is she? if a first calver a bit of edema could be normal, which can cause her to not milk out well for the first few days.

I'm presuming you check the milk from each teat before milking so that you can see exactly what blood/clots is coming from each quarter. Mostly it will clear up in a few days and that *includes* blood clots mixed with yellow clots.
If you've got ordinary milk with flakes/clots, that could indicate mastitis that needs treated but clots associated with blood are often not a worry. Using an RMT test will help decide which it is.
If she's not milking out right because of edema oxytocin before a milking will help. Ditto if she's not milking out because she's a nervous first-timer.
Check your liner isn't leaving a ring around the teat during milking. Something's wrong if it is.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:53 pm

ok the blood in the milk means a blood vessel broke.an that will take a few days to clear up.the clumps coming out of her bagg could mean that the swelling is breaking up an going down in her bagg.it also should clear up in a few days.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”