Jersey as Beef Cow

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Jersey as Beef Cow

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 pm

I always felt like a lot of jerseys were just waiting for a chance to lay down and die...that said they would try to kick you with the last ounce of energy they had before they died.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

shortybreeder
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby shortybreeder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:44 pm

regolith wrote:Jerseys are easy calving relative to their size... which is small.
For the size of Jersey I'm working with, I'd be leery of expecting her to push out anything more than about 90 lb at three years or older.
If your local Jersey stock is larger you might get away with more.

I pulled a 41 kg (full Jersey) calf out of a Jersey heifer this year, I'm not sure if she would have done it on her own & I certainly wouldn't want all my 2 yr jerseys to do that. A three-year old should have been able to handle that same calf no problem.

HolsteinxHereford are very popular for recipients, mainly because they're so cheap to buy (plus you get hybrid vigour, milk, good mothering ability). I don't see why Jerseyxbeef wouldn't be just as good, if you can get them. I'm not seeing any advantage at this stage to running a beef bull with my herd because there's no demand for jerseyxbeef either bulls or heifers.

I started my herd with 2 holsteinxherefords... LOVE THEM as cows... The one only had 1 working quarter for her second calf (I made some novice mistakes with her first calf.. a.k.a. listened to dad the dairy farmer) but she still weaned off a 450lb bull calf in 4 months through a tough Minnesota winter... As for how many jersey's have I dealt with, I don't know exactly but we've had quite a few of them and they are absolutely terrible to deal with up until they are the size of a holstein calf at birth, but after that they are the most vigorous animals in the feedlot and live a VERY long time... Unless their udders go to cr@p... Which happens a lot around the dairy... But the gals with good, long-lasting udders stick around for a long time and their calves do well also. We have more issues with Holsteins lacking a will to live than the jersey's. If a Holstein slips in the snow, you might as well shoot her because you'll waste your entire night trying to get her up, and if she slips even a little while you're trying to help her she will never try to stand again. Had to put 4 older Holstein cows down in the last month because of that... My dad says he would love to have a herd full of Hojo's but it wouldn't work out very well because we would be replacing cows with udder problems way too often (we have a robot, so we can't deal with udders practically dragging on the ground like they can in a tie-stall or parlor).
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm

I've got a herd full of 'hojos' crossbreds I call 'em.
The NZ Holstein Friesian sires I use are very different to the US Holstein, smaller rounder sort of animal. They're not bred for robots but the udders are okay, it's got to the stage that the cows I cull for 'udder issues' could probably milk quite well for another 2 - 3 years.
It's funny how jerseys do turn around like that - my grazier reckons they're the hardest to get in calf as yearlings but the easiest to get in calf as cows. And they're definitely more frail right at birth, but I don't usually even notice that unless they're born into bad weather or mud.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 pm

I have not tasted Jersey beef, but our one Jersey had a nice heifer this year. The calf below is a Murray Grey/ Jersey cross. She is out of a first calf heifer and is 3 months old. Sorry for the picture quality. It seems like Jerseys can regulate the birth weights of their calves. This one particular calf was born at 56 lbs while the other heifers that were bred to the same bull had calves between 66 and 70 lbs.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:15 am

Aubrac x Jersey is a nice cross. I know a guy doing that ... I have some photos somewhere ... if you're interested I'll try to dig them out.

It really helps the fleshing ability, so a dairy that also eats/sells finished beef should enjoy good results with this cross.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Got Milk?”