Beef to dairy trade

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
OzssieDave19
Cowhand
Cowhand

Beef to dairy trade

Postby OzssieDave19 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi am considering selling land and 40 beef cows that is an over grown hobby farm and moving towns to try my luck at share dairy farming. I have tractor, tools, two hands a young back and wan to work hard to stay farming. If I sold my property and beef cows I could have 180 dairy cows and 100k working capital. Hardly put a cup on in my life. Am I mad? Is this idea going to work?
0 x

piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Beef to dairy trade

Postby piedmontese » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 pm

I know a lot of people n the dairy biz and none are making much $ from milking cows. It may appear some are doing pretty good but most of them are also farming a lot of acres. I have a cousin who dairys and has been for his entire life and he's doing very well but it's not from the 200 cows he milks. Its from the 5000 acres they farm. Mostly wheat.I don't know of a job that requires so much time and work for so little $$.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 am

OzssieDave19 wrote:Hi am considering selling land and 40 beef cows that is an over grown hobby farm and moving towns to try my luck at share dairy farming. I have tractor, tools, two hands a young back and wan to work hard to stay farming. If I sold my property and beef cows I could have 180 dairy cows and 100k working capital. Hardly put a cup on in my life. Am I mad? Is this idea going to work?

If you're a goer you can do it but... big but; the standard expectation is that you will have around five years experience in dairying before you start share-farming.
I don't know how it is on your side of the ditch but over here it's very difficult even for experienced sharemilkers to get jobs, and has been for a few years.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

OzssieDave19
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OzssieDave19 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Look fair points. Over here beef is a real nice hobby unless you have about 500 cows and calves. Land is very tightly held in my area.

The dairy guys seem to be moving ahead. The monthly milk check is attractive.

I am a very good cropping beef farmer I belive that a crash course in the cow she'd is really all I need. As well as an alarm clock!

Well used to irrigation early start and long days.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”