No use crying over spilt milk !!!

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: No use crying over spilt milk !!!

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 am

dun wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I don't think I ever had goats milk my daughter had to drink it as a baby maybe I will try some. Goats are hard to keep in though.

BS, proper fencing will hold them with no problems. Either electric or field fence will work. It just has to be tailored to goats instead of cows or horses.

What would actually need to be done to keep them in field fencing cause im putting some up behind my house? I have never had a goat or built a fence for one.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

skyhightree1 wrote:What would actually need to be done to keep them in field fencing cause im putting some up behind my house? I have never had a goat or built a fence for one.

What we did was put a 2x4 on the posts on the goat side so they could stand on that with their front feet rather then walking the fence down. That's it, a little more cost up front but lasted for 12 years before we sold the farm.

Edited to add: The 2x4 was put at knee height, roughly 20 inches or so.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

thats simple i thought it would be more involved lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Most of the solutions I've come up with simple. That's all my simple brain can handle
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 pm

dun wrote:Most of the solutions I've come up with simple. That's all my simple brain can handle

:lol2:
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Just a suggestion but don;t use floating braces, H them. Years ago my brother tried diagonal braces from one post to the other at the corners andd his goats learned to run up the brace and clear the fence.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:47 pm

you can keep them behind barb wire with good electric fence. 1 strand 12" other around 30"
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:25 pm

dun wrote:Just a suggestion but don;t use floating braces, H them. Years ago my brother tried diagonal braces from one post to the other at the corners andd his goats learned to run up the brace and clear the fence.

My grandmother told me when she was growing up goats would climb on a guys roof of his house if he left the ladder on the side of the hosue i thought she was kidding guess not.

M5farm wrote:you can keep them behind barb wire with good electric fence. 1 strand 12" other around 30"

nice to know I may get 1
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:05 am

a gal of milk here is a $3.40 a gal.so we really havent seen it go up.the last block chedder cheese we bought,was like $8 for 2lbs.an i used to could eat 3 of those a week plus the shredded cheese we buy.now im down to 2lbs of sliced mild chedder an colby cheese a week if we buy it.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:36 pm

No beating some good sharp cheddar, my favorite by far. I'm almost embarrassed to say this, I'm almost 50, I've never drank fresh milk that I can recall. I would like to try some good cold fresh milk. And real butter again, it's been a long time ago, can't hardly remember what it was like.
I can vaguely remember when we went from Vit D to 2%. I thought it was white water :lol:
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Milk is $6 per gallon

I have a couple cows I milk and they still have plenty for the calf
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Milk is $3.28 gallon now has dropped way down.. TallTimber... I love cheese all kinds my favorite is seriously sharp chedar by cabot or whatever there name is . I like the yellow colored kind never tried the white kind not sure if it will taste the same.
0 x

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:49 pm

the only difference between yellow cheddar and white is the coloring
I buy white when it is on sale , I do need to find time to make some
Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow