Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 pm

With recent talks about making butter and potentially cheese and the family milk consumption I am seriously thinking about buying a dairy cow. I have never bought one or had much experience with them. I know I like how jerseys look but not sure which is better a Holstein or Jersey for milk output. I know most farmers here have all Holsteins. How many gallons per day would I get from one cow? Which dairy cow do you find to be the best and lowest maintenance? TB take it easy on the keyboard :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

piedmontese
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

Postby piedmontese » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Holsteins no doubt give the most milk. But in my exp are also more costly to keep. Mostly due to they eat a ton and not junk hay either.for your needs I would suggest jersey. Any decent jersey should give 5+ gallons a day.alot of that depends on what u feed them. Milk cows are machines,the better you take care of them the better they produce.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:04 pm

I have Jerseys. The one I just lost due to such a harsh winter raised 2 calves a year. Her own plus a bum. Plus would give 3-4 gallons a day! That was once a day milking.
Like the Jerseys temperment.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 pm

I am milking a Jersey/Brown Swiss X first calf Heifer and she is giving 7 gal a day,
and is the same size as a Jersey and has the laid back personality of the Swiss
and I am bottle feeding a 1/2 Jersey 1/4 Highlander 1/8 Angus 1/8 Hereford heifer that I will milk when she is older Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:04 am

Suzanne, That does sound like an interesting cross... sure seems to make the milk!.. Is the cream really white? I know that is a characteristic of the Brown Swiss.

Jerseys, some are SUPER docile and friendly, some are really skittish and petty... Get to know THAT COW before you pick her up, and don't go by generalizations.. I guess that should go for any breed of dairy cow since you have to handle them so much more.

I'd like to know what some of my cows produce, I have one that I was milking after she calved for a couple gallons a day, she was leaking milk from all 6 teats, and had a 130 lb bull calf who got upset if the milk didn't just flow into his mouth... He's gained over 120 lbs in his first month.. She's a 1/2 gelbvieh, 1/4 shorthorn, 1/4 Hereford. I milked her mother as well, with similar results, Her grandma (the mostly Hereford) I milked too, but wasn't quite as impressive.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:34 am

I "made" a house-cow for my partner a few years ago. Bought him a sexed straw from some US Jersey bull (it was what the company I buy my semen from had in stock) and put it into my pedigree Angus cow who'd lost her calf and we were milking that year. The daughter's a great cow and I make butter every other day from her cream, as we need it and if I'm not too busy, put some ahead in the freezer. I get 10 liters (2 gal?) every morning - calf still on her, but when he's weaned we'll milk twice a day, for a while. Grass grows year-round where we are, so that's what she eats. The milk gets strained through a bit of muslin in a sieve and cooled, then I skim the cream next morning. We don't pasteurize.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am

you can milk anything that you can get to stand still....

generally holsteins will give you the most volume....
generally Jerseys will give you the most butterfat....
swiss and gurnseys are in between the first two....
most of the angus I have milked have seemed to have pretty good butterfat as well....
holsteins are eating machines....jerseys can get by with less grain but need good quality forage and they still need some grain...
nice jersey will probably be more expensive to buy in our area....

have you thought about trying a dairy goat? good milk and can make butter and cheese and soap...easy keeping...easy milking...good for kids to milk...and if the milking thing is less galmourous than anticipated, you have a brush control unit....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 am

pdfangus wrote:you can milk anything that you can get to stand still....

generally holsteins will give you the most volume....
generally Jerseys will give you the most butterfat....
swiss and gurnseys are in between the first two....
most of the angus I have milked have seemed to have pretty good butterfat as well....
holsteins are eating machines....jerseys can get by with less grain but need good quality forage and they still need some grain...
nice jersey will probably be more expensive to buy in our area....

have you thought about trying a dairy goat? good milk and can make butter and cheese and soap...easy keeping...easy milking...good for kids to milk...and if the milking thing is less galmourous than anticipated, you have a brush control unit....

pdf what exactly kind of goat is good for a milk goat I know nothing about goats. My kids do like them but I think they wanted the little fainting goats or pigmy goats. I love goat cheese that is some good stuff. I think you are right about how expensive dairy cattle would be here as most of whats around me is dairy farms.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:05 am

goats have several milking breeds....
nubians and alpines come to mind quickly....I think Lamancha is also a milking variety....they are the ones with cauliflower ears...

I have a couple of nubians and they are quiet and people oriented....come to call and can sometimes be a pest they are so gentle...

My extension agent put a goats wanted ad out for me of some extension goat list....and I got three or four immediate offers of free goats.....if you try to buy them people want hundreds of dollars for them....I got three free spotted Nubians....since then we have had babies and I lost a couple of the babies but still have three goats and three kids....the kids are a trip.....running and playing and real entertaining....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:10 am

There are basicly 3 types of goats. Dairy - Alpines, Toggenburg, Nubian, LaMancha, Saanan. Meat - Kiko, Boer. Brush/scrub - Spanish or any of those breeds that are basicly crap. Sound feet, legs and udder are the most important things to look for in Dairy Goats.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

very nice I want to build a little goat pen for small goats for my kids with houses and a ladder they can climb up on eventually but not right now. I never tried goat milk before maybe I will buy some this weekend. Thanks for the goat info.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 am

ok theres a few qs that need answering lolol.1 a jersey is not sweet and kind.they are kicking machines.an they will kick you without warning.2 they are better house cows than holsteins because of their rich creamy milk.a jersey will give 4 to 5 gal a day of milk depending on her breeding and the amount of feed and hay you feed her.now you can milk a holstein for a house cow.ive got a friend that milked 2 everyday firing his milk barn up.they would produce 12 to 18 gal a day.but he fed them to milk heavy no matter if he needed the milk or not.he drank 7 gal of milk a week.plus he made 3 to 5 gal of ice cream a week.the excess went to hogs.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 am

[quote="bigbull338"]ok theres a few qs that need answering lolol.1 a jersey is not sweet and kind.they are kicking machines.an they will kick you without warning.quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:ok theres a few qs that need answering lolol.1 a jersey is not sweet and kind.they are kicking machines.an they will kick you without warning.quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the one drawback to using Jerseys for oxen, they ARE kickers.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:01 am

I would have never known that. Everyone I have seen seems so nice and polite well manored.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”