Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

Postby pdfangus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:40 pm

any cow with four legs is subject to kick......I had a holstein nurse cow once that was bat crap crazy.....my ambition with her was always to get a second calf on her and turn her out into a lot with the two calves.....have had an angus holstein cross that I had four calves on and she was as calm as any I ever dealt with....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:34 pm

My friend who has the Dexter/Jersey now had a PB jersey before that, she was raised and shown, sweetest cow you'd ever see.. In fact the biggest danger around her was getting your hair ripped out by the roots as she grazed on it!..

Guernseys, and I'm sure Holsteins as well, will calmly walk at 15MPH!... those long legs will really get them moving... they have no need to run!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Definitely need a bit of Angus in the Jersey mix then: my cow won't even kick the bucket! :D
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri May 02, 2014 7:51 am

We have owned Jerseys as a family cow for over 30 years. I like the breed. They are very intelligent.
Right now we are milking a young Norwegian Red x Jersey. She is different. Not as calm as a Jersey, and gives 50 + lbs a day. I am feeding hogs with the extra milk.
We have also had milk goats. They are more economical to buy and feed than a cow.
Our cow eats 20 lbs lactation feed daily plus timothy hay and pasture.
Jersey cows are at a premium price now. A friend though that he would like one until he discovered the price. The price of an average cow is $3K to $4K.

Now this may upset some of the posters here, but you can not feed or treat a Jersey like a beef cow.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri May 02, 2014 8:09 am

chippie wrote:Now this may upset some of the posters here, but you can not feed or treat a Jersey like a beef cow.

To get the full benefit of any dairy animal you have to feed them properly. Trying to cheap it on feed is like trying to run a ferrari on low octane regular. If you're going to make the invesment why would you not try to get full benefit out of it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 02, 2014 3:55 pm

We've had jerseys as family milk cows a few times in the past but switched to goats about three years ago so that my kids could be more involved. I've never had a problem with jerseys being kickers and I do walk behind a couple thousand of them a day, but they are smarter than holstiens and that does mean that you have to be kinder to them. Quirkey is how I describe them. If you can get along with quirks without losing your cool then jerseys may work for you.
I miss having five gallons of super rich milk every day, but at the same time it's overkill unless you just love the shyt out of making butter and cheese. And you do have to feed them like you love the shyt out of making butter and cheese regardless of how much you love it because they are metabolic disasters if they don't get enough to eat. They are also expensive to feed when they're dry. Even if you run them on pasture she takes the place of a beef cow.
Goats, on the other hand, are kid sized and give you a manageable amount of milk. It's not as high in butterfat as a well fed jerseys milk but it will match a poorly fed jerseys butterfat on poorer feed. When they're dry they can run on next to nothing and they are a lot more forgiving to feed changes. Nubians and Nigerian Dwarfs are a good choice for higher butterfat if you want to make cheese and the sanaans and toggenburgs are milk machines like a holstein cow.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri May 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I think that he means that they are kickers when being milked.
We had one cow, Cookie, that was born on our place and raised on our place. She started out easy to break to be milked with the machine. After a couple of months, she decided that she did not like her job and would kick the poo out of you when you were putting the machine on. The machine was checked out and the other cow was fine about being milked, so Cookie found herself a new home.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri May 02, 2014 10:22 pm

When I first started to milk Honey she kicked the crap out of me. Fired up the milking machine and she was fine. Milking her daughter right now. She was kicking at first too but her bag was hurting her, but she only bumps me a little bit when first putting the cups on.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Sun May 04, 2014 2:04 am

Nesikep Cocoa dose not give the real light color cream normal for the Swiss ,it is an in between color
and not as heavy as Jersey , I have not made any butter yet with it , as I was dealing with a lot of edema for over a month after calving , she is an easy keeping cow and dose not require or eat lots of grain, she has been the easiest to milk and has never offered to kick me, she takes good care of and guards Ginger my bottle calf ,but will not let her nurse which is what I want for this lactation,
Suzanne
and her next to Gingers mom before calving
and this is Ginger , I will need to get new pictures as she is turning into a little butterball
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun May 04, 2014 5:54 pm

bigbull338 wrote:ok theres a few qs that need answering lolol.1 a jersey is not sweet and kind.they are kicking machines.an they will kick you without warning.2 they are better house cows than holsteins because of their rich creamy milk.a jersey will give 4 to 5 gal a day of milk depending on her breeding and the amount of feed and hay you feed her.now you can milk a holstein for a house cow.ive got a friend that milked 2 everyday firing his milk barn up.they would produce 12 to 18 gal a day.but he fed them to milk heavy no matter if he needed the milk or not.he drank 7 gal of milk a week.plus he made 3 to 5 gal of ice cream a week.the excess went to hogs.

YOu do realize that is 150 lbs. a day?? Everyday !!!! How much did he feed them?? I had cows that milked that much but I was selling the milk.

Sky try to find you a 4-5 year old jersey with a good udder. No long bags and huge tits. She'll milk based on what you feed her but should meet all your needs without any problem unless you too drink a gallon a day and a half gallon of ice cream a day. :mrgreen:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 am

TB he fed those cows like he fed when he ran his reg dairy for over 40yrs.i asked why he fed them so heavy and he said that was the only way he knew how to feed cows.his RHA was always 21000 to 23000lbs a cow a year or more.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 am

bigbull338 wrote:TB he fed those cows like he fed when he ran his reg dairy for over 40yrs.i asked why he fed them so heavy and he said that was the only way he knew how to feed cows.his RHA was always 21000 to 23000lbs a cow a year or more.

MIne was higher than that but I didn't milk two cows just for the he// of it either. Guess he enjoys cranking up the old barn, sanitizing it, milking his two cows and washing everything again. Must have a little flat top tank to store so little milk in and be able to agitate it.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm

We have a Jersey and we had a Guernsey. Our particular Jersey wouldn't let down her milk for us to well and her teats were hard to grab on to because they were so small. The Guernsey had loads of milk and teats that were just the right size to milk.

We kept a Murray Grey x Guernsey heifer. She calved 3 weeks ago. Her teats are easy to grab on to, and she has great udder attachments. We milked her out in the middle of the pasture and got 1 gallon in one milking. We would have gotten more, but we weren't expecting her to give that much milk. We filled up our container before she was empty. We didn't separate her from her calf and the young cow wasn't halter broken. In that 1 gallon, we had 1/3 of a gallon of cream. With our experience, I prefer Guernseys, but they are harder to find than other dairy breeds.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

well he drinks 7 gal a week or more.plus they make 6 to 10 gal of ice cream a week.the hogs get the excess milk and cream.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm

bigbull338 wrote:well he drinks 7 gal a week or more.plus they make 6 to 10 gal of ice cream a week.the hogs get the excess milk and cream.

That's high dollar hog feed and makes nothing but gobby fat hogs. A pork chop will be 10 inches across with about four bites of lean meat in it.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”