Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 pm

TexasBred wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:ok theres a few qs that need answering lolol.1 a jersey is not sweet and kind.they are kicking machines.an they will kick you without warning.2 they are better house cows than holsteins because of their rich creamy milk.a jersey will give 4 to 5 gal a day of milk depending on her breeding and the amount of feed and hay you feed her.now you can milk a holstein for a house cow.ive got a friend that milked 2 everyday firing his milk barn up.they would produce 12 to 18 gal a day.but he fed them to milk heavy no matter if he needed the milk or not.he drank 7 gal of milk a week.plus he made 3 to 5 gal of ice cream a week.the excess went to hogs.

YOu do realize that is 150 lbs. a day?? Everyday !!!! How much did he feed them?? I had cows that milked that much but I was selling the milk.

Sky try to find you a 4-5 year old jersey with a good udder. No long bags and huge tits. She'll milk based on what you feed her but should meet all your needs without any problem unless you too drink a gallon a day and a half gallon of ice cream a day. :mrgreen:

LOL I do like to make ice cream but not that much.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am

I ran across this

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/g ... 66432.html

Nice nurse cow, exposed to a registered Jersey bull for late summer calf. Has had 4 calves, all heifers. Will make a good family cow as well but does have some flaking in one quarter that would need to be treated first. Great opportunity to buy a good cow cheap.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:46 am

alot depends on what he wants for a 3 teated cow.that cow would be worth $750 as id be buying her as a 3 teater depending on what she loooked like.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 am

I thought the price was too high.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 am

its a tad to high but as you know im tight and cheap.so i try to set cows like that in at a fair market value.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Fri May 09, 2014 6:37 pm

That 'flaking' is the vendor's duty to treat.
Otherwise it's like bb says - you're paying for a potentially three-quartered cow, and an aged one to boot.
It may be naivety on the vendor's part but if a cow had had mild mastitis I wouldn't even mention it to a buyer unless specifically asked for her treatment/mastitis history. He's mentioned it so either it's seriously impacting her, or he's an idiot.
For this area, that's a reasonable price for the cow described... it's budget cow price. If her udder support is holding up she could be fine. I've just sold two for around that through the local sale yards, both were average producers about that age, with minor udder issues.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 10, 2014 12:23 pm

You seldom lose a quarter when you have simple "flaking". The price isn't that bad either.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Sat May 10, 2014 3:31 pm

regolith wrote:That 'flaking' is the vendor's duty to treat.
Otherwise it's like bb says - you're paying for a potentially three-quartered cow, and an aged one to boot.
It may be naivety on the vendor's part but if a cow had had mild mastitis I wouldn't even mention it to a buyer unless specifically asked for her treatment/mastitis history. He's mentioned it so either it's seriously impacting her, or he's an idiot....
Or wishes to fully disclose all relevant information - honest, rather than idiotic? Who should treat it, is another question.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat May 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Honest and naïve.
If the buyer wants a cow that has never had a case of mastitis it's up to him to do his homework. Stating that she has had a case makes a 'good' cow a 'budget', worth half the money. No one is going to buy a cow with the history if they can get one without - yet 10 - 40% of dairy cows have probably had a case at some stage.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 11, 2014 1:28 am

Suzorse, All nice cows! I was playing with the idea of getting a Brown swiss heifer calf and raising her... She's have to let any calf suck because I don't have the hours in the day to milk, especially over the long term... I think a brown swiss/Gelbveih could make a heck of a dual purpose animal, heifer or steer would be worth something.

TB, I guess what he fed those hogs apart from that could make a big difference too.. If they got places to root and be active, then the milk and cream wouldn't make them so fat.. also depends on how many hogs were getting it.

Friend of mine who had the jersey I spoke of earlier had a brown swiss years ago, and she was producing less and less milk, and she was puzzled as to why... One day she saw 4 piglets, standing on their hind legs nursing from the cow... I'd have paid to see that!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun May 11, 2014 2:28 am

The knock on Brown Swiss has always been that they eat like a Holstein and milk like a Jersey. The milking part is an exageration but the eating part sure isn;t. We alwasy raised hog on the surplus milk/shey/butterfat but is was used to soak corn and fed soured. Didn;t have any issues with texture or taste. The neighbor here raised pigs on straight milk, man that stuff sucked. Way too fat and the texture was about like a marshmallow.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

regolith wrote:Honest and naïve.
If the buyer wants a cow that has never had a case of mastitis it's up to him to do his homework. Stating that she has had a case makes a 'good' cow a 'budget', worth half the money. No one is going to buy a cow with the history if they can get one without - yet 10 - 40% of dairy cows have probably had a case at some stage.

99/9% of the time you're taking someone word for it when they said "no history of mastitis". At least this seller put the man on notice that she had a few flakes. One treatment should clear it up overnight. The odds of ending up with only 3 good quarters is slim to none.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Is this a good deal?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/4433599206.html

Cow Shares Avery's Branch farm - $80 (Virginia)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: new
I have 2 cow shares for Avery's Branch Farm in Amelia, Va. They have drop points all over the state where you can pick up your fresh, raw milk weekly. I paid $100 each for the shares and will sell them for a discounted $80 each. You have to pay a small boarding fee and each share qualifies you for one gallon of fresh raw milk per week.
Raw milk is so much better for your family and even those with lactose intolerance can easily digest raw milk. You get the cream on top for your coffee or for whipping and it is delicious! Milk the way God intended!
Check out Avery's Branch's website for more details and contact me if you'd like to transfer the shares to you. Thanks!!
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri May 16, 2014 7:55 pm

I wouldn't do it. People make a lot of money selling shares.
You get 1 gallon a week per share plus you pay to feed the cow.
the comment that Lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk without problems is hogwash.

How much milk does your family drink? When we had all 5 kids at home (7 people including my husband and I), we went through 1 1/2 gallons a day. Now with only 3 adults at home, we still go through almost a gallon a day.

We are giving the extra milk to a pig right now. We don't have this cow's calf and we can't use her as double duty (raising a couple of calves and giving us milk).
When our cow had a calf, we would get another to put on her. We would keep the calves separate from the cow so that she would come up to be milked twice a day. When we needed milk in the house, my husband or I would milk what we needed and then let the calves in with her to strip her out. If we didn't need milk, we would let the calves in with her when she ate. It worked well for us.
If you don't need a lot of milk, I would look into getting a goat or two. Goat milk is good as long as you don't have the doe with a billy. If you do, the milk tastes just like the billy goat -- really really gross. Otherwise the milk is sweet without a goatish taste. Our two oldest children were raised on goat milk. We had a Toggenberg (very sweet goat and easy to get along with), Nubians ( they have strong personalities) and La Manchas which have the elfin ears. They are a gentle goat too.
Sometimes I think that I would like another.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 am

chippie wrote:I wouldn't do it. People make a lot of money selling shares.
You get 1 gallon a week per share plus you pay to feed the cow.
the comment that Lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk without problems is hogwash.

How much milk does your family drink? When we had all 5 kids at home (7 people including my husband and I), we went through 1 1/2 gallons a day. Now with only 3 adults at home, we still go through almost a gallon a day.

We are giving the extra milk to a pig right now. We don't have this cow's calf and we can't use her as double duty (raising a couple of calves and giving us milk).
When our cow had a calf, we would get another to put on her. We would keep the calves separate from the cow so that she would come up to be milked twice a day. When we needed milk in the house, my husband or I would milk what we needed and then let the calves in with her to strip her out. If we didn't need milk, we would let the calves in with her when she ate. It worked well for us.
If you don't need a lot of milk, I would look into getting a goat or two. Goat milk is good as long as you don't have the doe with a billy. If you do, the milk tastes just like the billy goat -- really really gross. Otherwise the milk is sweet without a goatish taste. Our two oldest children were raised on goat milk. We had a Toggenberg (very sweet goat and easy to get along with), Nubians ( they have strong personalities) and La Manchas which have the elfin ears. They are a gentle goat too.
Sometimes I think that I would like another.

Thanks for letting me know I wont do it seemed kinda funny to me but im not savy on the milk market. We drink between 9-10 gallons per week. I drink 7 by myself kids eat cereal and drink it with dinner so it goes pretty fast. I thought the lactose intolerant thing was hilarious myself.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”