Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dairy Cow - TB you will be all over this one..

Postby 3waycross » Sun May 18, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks for letting me know I wont do it seemed kinda funny to me but im not savy on the milk market. We drink between 9-10 gallons per week. I drink 7 by myself kids eat cereal and drink it with dinner so it goes pretty fast. I thought the lactose intolerant thing was hilarious myself.[/quote]

You need to look into one of those "can't suk" flaps. Someone needs to wean you Sky! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:30 am

3waycross wrote:Thanks for letting me know I wont do it seemed kinda funny to me but im not savy on the milk market. We drink between 9-10 gallons per week. I drink 7 by myself kids eat cereal and drink it with dinner so it goes pretty fast. I thought the lactose intolerant thing was hilarious myself.

You need to look into one of those "can't suk" flaps. Someone needs to wean you Sky! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:[/quote]

:lol: my wife said same thing said my milk consumption is ridiculous. :oops:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun May 18, 2014 9:35 am

Milk is good for you. : )

Drinking that much milk, you would need several goats. Are there any dairies near you? Sometimes you can find a nice cow that doesn't give enough milk for the dairy to keep her in their milking string but will be good for a family.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 am

chippie wrote:Milk is good for you. : )

Drinking that much milk, you would need several goats. Are there any dairies near you? Sometimes you can find a nice cow that doesn't give enough milk for the dairy to keep her in their milking string but will be good for a family.

There is 1 about 20 mins away that I may atop and inquire with them.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun May 18, 2014 10:18 am

skyhightree1 wrote: I thought the lactose intolerant thing was hilarious myself.

The ability to digest goats milk and not cows milk has nothing to do with lactose tolerance. It's the size of the fat molecules, goats are much smaller then cows. That's why you need a seperator to be able to get enough cream to make stuff with. We did DHIA when we had the goat dairy, the fat content was equal or higher then a jersey, but it wouldn;t rise to the top like cows.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 pm

is this a good set up?
http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/4490881091.html
We have a DeLaval style Milking system for sale. It is in excellent condition. Only used for a month and a half. Comes with two vacuum pumps, so you can have one where you milk and one where you clean the machine. Also comes with a extra set of inflations and hoses. Asking $1,200.

Thanks for looking.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:49 pm

I am gonna see if I can get this one not really to keep but to make $ by selling her again.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/4488747791.html

Opal is a 3 quartered cow that is a dream to milk. She calves easily by herself, and hasn't met a calf that she doesn't try to steal. Excellent dispostion, milks by machine or by hand. She is currently open. She is the perfect family milk cow, has given us gallons of creamy milk. We are downsizing and I am keeping her daughter and grandaughter. She would be a great first cow for someone to learn on.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 am

find out when she had her calf and why she isn't bred now. If she is the cow in the front, she looks kind of fat for a cow that is milking.
If she is dry and open, that may not be a good sign.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 am

i was thinking the samething.as she may not breed back.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 am

I contacted the seller and will see what they say I was thinking she was way too fat to be milking as well.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I contacted the seller and will see what they say I was thinking she was way too fat to be milking as well.

Sky you don't need a milk cow. You need a very gentle nurse cow...just get a teat in your mouth and nurse til your full. Save all that hard work. :lol2: :hide:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:56 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I contacted the seller and will see what they say I was thinking she was way too fat to be milking as well.

Sky you don't need a milk cow. You need a very gentle nurse cow...just get a teat in your mouth and nurse til your full. Save all that hard work. :lol2: :hide:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”