Calves share mommas

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Whitakerfarms
Beginner
Beginner

Calves share mommas

Postby Whitakerfarms » Sun May 25, 2014 10:27 pm

We run 160 head of sim/angus momma cows. They are all about 2-4 years old & most
Are on their 3rd calf. Quite frequently we will see two sometimes three calves nursing one cow!
The cows allow this and will let another calf that is not theirs come up & nurse. It's
Very hard to pair them up to move them to other pastures because they don't pair up well.
Has anyone else seen this? Is there a reason they are doing this?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Calves share mommas

Postby slick4591 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:12 am

Mine only tolerate this when I throw down some cubes, otherwise they will kick them off. If you will tag the calves as soon as you can after they are born and keep good records, you shouldn't have a problem recognizing the pairs.

:welcome:
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 am

Mine will steal milk when the cows are at the feed bunk. It's a mixed blessing.. it can be handy if you get an orphaned calf or need to graft one, and also if a cow has far too much milk for a young calf, it might as well be drank by someone!.. I do get mad when they steal milk from a cow I'm planning on keeping a replacement heifer from however.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:15 am

some cows will accept other calves sucking them no problem.and other cows will kick them away.
0 x

Williamsv
GURU
GURU

Postby Williamsv » Thu May 29, 2014 7:34 pm

I have a calf right now sucking its mama and another cow. The other cow lost her calf a few minutes after this calf was born. She stayed on with the calf and its mother. Now the calf sucks both cows and does not know which is his mother.
In December I had a calf to start sucking a simangus cow that had a new calf. I worried about that, but pretty soon she stopped on her own. It seems pretty common for this to happen. In fact I see something new about every day.
0 x

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kucala5 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:00 pm

We've seen it and for us seems to be inherent with the cow. Repeatedly, a calf stealing milk will be tapping the same cows that just don't seem to mind. Last year, a first calf heifer was super generous and couldn't afford to be. Her utter is better this year and she is still "open minded" with her groceries.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri May 30, 2014 12:09 am

Th first timer we had that we pulled the frozen dead calf rom is feeding the other 4 heifers calves. They don;t need to but she just has to take care of someone, in this case she has 4 someones and is happy as a clam.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sat May 31, 2014 9:13 pm

Our cows will sometimes nurse two calves at once. As long as the cows hold good condition, I am not against it.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Return to “Got Milk?”