last of the black&whites

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

last of the black&whites

Postby regolith » Wed May 28, 2014 4:42 am

Down to four HolsteinFriesian cows in the herd with no purebred heifers born last spring or the spring before. They're a dying breed here. I'm planning to put the younger ones to HolsteinFriesian while they're still young enough for big calves but I can see that quite soon every black and white cow in the herd will be a cross.

2010-born number 11, bought her as a calf.
Image

2005-born number 244, it was a piece of luck getting her with the group of cows I bought in '09 because she's a good cut above most of them. Couldn't get a good photo of her.
Image

2003-born number 61 Drysdale Kelvar's Pride. One Jersey-cross daughter in the herd, one Swedish Red-cross daughter in the weaner calves and she's the grandma of the 'Jersey' bull I ran with the cows in 2011. At my last farm she reliably produced good Holstein bull calves that were reared for sale.
Image

2003-born number 93, also sired by Fisher's Kelvar. These two are the last remaining of the first eleven calves I ever bought.
Image
The best thing I can say about 93 is she gets in calf year after year, even though she slipped out to fourteen months the year the herd was leased she's calved since at eleven, twelve, now due eleven months after last calving.

61's daughter Priya born in '08
Image


I can make new ones like this:
Image
Annie's daughter above is 14/16ths HolsteinFriesian. I've got three or four of these between the '12 and '13 born heifers. Considering that nearly every purebred heifer born in recent years has left the herd fairly smartly, it'll be interesting to see if these ones last any better.

The three older cows have all had Holstein heifer calves that came into the herd and left at the end of their first year, either open or as poor producers. At this rate the herd will be all crosses and Jersey the day the last of these four cows leaves.

Checked the ancestry and 11 is actually a crossbred 13/16s Holstein the rest Jersey... she shows up as Holstein on the herd reports.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

User avatar
inyati13
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:55 am
Location: Kentucky, Outer Bluegrass

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby inyati13 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 am

Enjoy your pictures. Your land is much more level. Pasture is much different.
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46987
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby dun » Wed May 28, 2014 5:37 am

Why the decline in the srtraightbreds? Around here the cross of Holstein and Jersey really took off for a while but most dairymen have gone back to the straighbreds. The F1's really produced but the secod generation seemed to take on the lesser quality of both breeds, i.e. less milk and less fat.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder
Posts: 16565
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: texas

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby bigbull338 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am

what holsteins you have left sure look nice.but your crossbreds look even better.
0 x

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby regolith » Wed May 28, 2014 2:05 pm

dun wrote:Why the decline in the srtraightbreds? Around here the cross of Holstein and Jersey really took off for a while but most dairymen have gone back to the straighbreds. The F1's really produced but the secod generation seemed to take on the lesser quality of both breeds, i.e. less milk and less fat.


Well I'm presuming it's something to do with hybrid vigour. I'm seeing a little of the same effect in the Jerseys except in that instance started with a lot more of them and I can't pick down one specific reason why their % is dropping in favour of the crossbreds. With the Holsteins it's obvious, they get culled because they're open, or they're low producers.
The one I brought into the herd last year (244's daughter) had mastitis at calving and dropped down to 3 1/2 quarters then never cycled until eight months after calving... plus she jumped fences, wrecked three gates in three days trying to get back to her calf last spring. I've brought in one, or sometimes two, purebred Holstein heifers a year for the last seven years and none of those young cows are here now.
The '03 group did all right, there might still be four of them since I let a neighbouring famer have his pick of them when they were leased out and he bought the two better ones and gave back 61 and 93.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7273
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed May 28, 2014 2:30 pm

dun wrote:Why the decline in the strraight breds?


I view steins as a high input breed.
Are they less durable and less efficient on a grass based dairy system?
Like running an 1800# pound continental beef cow on range land?
0 x
Stocker Steve

flossie
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby flossie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 am

They look to have more fresian than holstein in them, which isn't a bad thing 8)
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28249
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 am

Rego did you tell me that you did NOT get paid any bonus for butterfat, protein and other milk solids??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby regolith » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:11 am

TexasBred wrote:Rego did you tell me that you did NOT get paid any bonus for butterfat, protein and other milk solids??


Did I say that?
We get paid for kg protein plus kg fat less litres (volume) in the sense that there is a transport charge applied. Protein is worth more than fat, so Holstein Friesians are favoured by a lot of farmers (and some dairy companies) for their better protein:fat ratio.
I just checked my last milk statement and protein is $9/kg while fat is $4.56/kg.
I actually got a small volume 'payment' of around 0.1% on that statement because my milk has higher % than the average farmer, most would be looking at a minus figure there.

Flossie, everyone here calls them Friesians; the genetics are so mixed these days that there's certainly some overseas Holstein in them but they also go back to older NZ Friesian genetics.
These are grassfed genetics. I'm not sure about the 'stein being high input in this country, it may be true. It's obvious that they don't do well in my herd but there's plenty farmers like them, one of my neighbour's has a herd full of them and his production figures are consistently about 10% ahead of mine per cow (he's also feeding them a lot more).
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

flossie
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby flossie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 pm

regolith wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Rego did you tell me that you did NOT get paid any bonus for butterfat, protein and other milk solids??


Flossie, everyone here calls them Friesians; the genetics are so mixed these days that there's certainly some overseas Holstein in them but they also go back to older NZ Friesian genetics.
These are grassfed genetics. I'm not sure about the 'stein being high input in this country, it may be true. It's obvious that they don't do well in my herd but there's plenty farmers like them, one of my neighbour's has a herd full of them and his production figures are consistently about 10% ahead of mine per cow (he's also feeding them a lot more).


We were high input/high output but we've backed off a little in favour of cow health. It's nicer to have cows with a little bit of fight in them when there's a problem, rather than the 'hat racks' that lie out and die on you :cry2: We've been using bulls with strength (still holstein) to get some power back into our cows. Our cows are in 365 because although we can grow plenty of grass, we're in a high rainfall area and make a heck of a mess getting to it. Better to bring the grass to the cows :)
0 x

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby regolith » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:11 pm

flossie wrote:
regolith wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Rego did you tell me that you did NOT get paid any bonus for butterfat, protein and other milk solids??


Flossie, everyone here calls them Friesians; the genetics are so mixed these days that there's certainly some overseas Holstein in them but they also go back to older NZ Friesian genetics.
These are grassfed genetics. I'm not sure about the 'stein being high input in this country, it may be true. It's obvious that they don't do well in my herd but there's plenty farmers like them, one of my neighbour's has a herd full of them and his production figures are consistently about 10% ahead of mine per cow (he's also feeding them a lot more).


We were high input/high output but we've backed off a little in favour of cow health. It's nicer to have cows with a little bit of fight in them when there's a problem, rather than the 'hat racks' that lie out and die on you :cry2: We've been using bulls with strength (still holstein) to get some power back into our cows. Our cows are in 365 because although we can grow plenty of grass, we're in a high rainfall area and make a heck of a mess getting to it. Better to bring the grass to the cows :)


So you zero-graze (cut and carry)?
:welcome: to the boards btw.

There's a lot of Oman sons/grandsons coming into use over here, especially for the higher input systems, plus one of the semen companies has decided to swing strongly towards British Friesians for the extra strength.
Best Friesian bull I've used in recent years is a Fishers Kelvar son; he's not perfect by any means but they produce, and I'm hoping they'll last considering my original two Fishers Kelvars are still here.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3885
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 am

regolith wrote: At my last farm...


Regolith...are you located on the South Island?
I stayed in Rotherham [a wide spot in the middle of seemingly nowhere] for a bit on my way to Christchurch
about a dozen years ago. I totally loved the farmers I met in the Rotherham area and probably enjoyed it as much
or more than anywhere on that 6 week trip.
0 x

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby regolith » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
regolith wrote: At my last farm...


Regolith...are you located on the South Island?
I stayed in Rotherham [a wide spot in the middle of seemingly nowhere] for a bit on my way to Christchurch
about a dozen years ago. I totally loved the farmers I met in the Rotherham area and probably enjoyed it as much
or more than anywhere on that 6 week trip.


Currently in Taranaki, previous farm was Manawatu. I've never farmed in the South Island, visited some years ago but dairying 'sole charge' doesn't give a lot of time for travel.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

flossie
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: last of the black&whites

Postby flossie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 pm

regolith wrote:
So you zero-graze (cut and carry)?
:welcome: to the boards btw.

There's a lot of Oman sons/grandsons coming into use over here, especially for the higher input systems, plus one of the semen companies has decided to swing strongly towards British Friesians for the extra strength.
Best Friesian bull I've used in recent years is a Fishers Kelvar son; he's not perfect by any means but they produce, and I'm hoping they'll last considering my original two Fishers Kelvars are still here.


Thanks for the welcome :nod:

No, we don't zero graze. We ensile it all then feed TMR all year round. Tried zero-grazing two years ago and the milk dropped :o
We were using Newfailand Mr Frosty. Turns out he wasn't 100% British Freisian when he was DNA'd but they were still good animals :)
We just run a couple of Angus bulls now and get a B+W off a local pedigree breeder who is breeding for strength rather than show type
0 x


Return to “Got Milk?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest