Good girl Mega :)

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Good girl Mega :)

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Well, I've been milking Mega for a couple weeks now, and she's really gotten into the swing of it. I'm only milking once a day, she's on a pretty grassy hay with a bucket of sunflower pressings for milking time. She's standing better than our guernsey did (I don't know how many times she put her feet into the milk bucket), and she's pretty easy to milk too.. She was leaking milk this morning. She seems to have a whole lot more milk in her hind quarters, at least double of what is in the front. I have a gallon bucket and pretty much filled it from the hind quarters, once it was filled, I milked the rest onto the ground, my mother is flooded with milk as it is.

We've been making custard, pies, yogurt, and anything else we can think of that needs lots of milk... We're looking for some renet to make some cheese with... Anyone know how long you can store the milk before you make the cheese? is 3 days OK? that would give us 3 gallons to work with.

Skyhightree, did you ever get a milk cow?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

inyati13
GURU
GURU

Re: Good girl Mega :)

Postby inyati13 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Nesikep wrote:Well, I've been milking Mega for a couple weeks now, and she's really gotten into the swing of it. I'm only milking once a day, she's on a pretty grassy hay with a bucket of sunflower pressings for milking time. She's standing better than our guernsey did (I don't know how many times she put her feet into the milk bucket), and she's pretty easy to milk too.. She was leaking milk this morning. She seems to have a whole lot more milk in her hind quarters, at least double of what is in the front. I have a gallon bucket and pretty much filled it from the hind quarters, once it was filled, I milked the rest onto the ground, my mother is flooded with milk as it is.

We've been making custard, pies, yogurt, and anything else we can think of that needs lots of milk... We're looking for some renet to make some cheese with... Anyone know how long you can store the milk before you make the cheese? is 3 days OK? that would give us 3 gallons to work with.

Skyhightree, did you ever get a milk cow?

The Milkman. :D She has an odd shaped head?
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Not really.. she has a long nose and ears though. If anything is odd shaped about her it's her midsection ;) If it weren't for the lack of flabby-butt, you'd swear she was about to calf (she's got 5 months to go).

Her mother was the same, and gave me a good laugh once when she went around an open gate and definitely bumped it pretty hard with her belly... I told her her "clearance markers" (ears) weren't out far enough for the wide load on the trailer
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

inyati13
GURU
GURU

Postby inyati13 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Nesikep wrote:Not really.. she has a long nose and ears though. If anything is odd shaped about her it's her midsection ;) If it weren't for the lack of flabby-butt, you'd swear she was about to calf (she's got 5 months to go).

Her mother was the same, and gave me a good laugh once when she went around an open gate and definitely bumped it pretty hard with her belly... I told her her "clearance markers" (ears) weren't out far enough for the wide load on the trailer

:D
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Nesi... I can use her what would the cost be for you to sell her and deliver :lol2:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:46 pm

$5k for her, I figure about another $5k to deliver?.. it's a darned long trip and I'm going to have to milk her on the way. I guess I'll have to stop in and see a few folks on the way!
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Mega is a good girl Nesi! :)
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

AllForage
GURU
GURU

Postby AllForage » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Might be able to freeze it for future cheese making, Google it
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 am

Thanks... the website I came across says freezing doesn't work on cow's milk, however it's OK for goat and sheep milk (for cheese making)

It also isn't helping us that our walk in cooler just fried the compressor... might get another one in tomorrow
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 am

Oh, here's the website I found my info on, it seems to be a pretty good site
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/23 ... -Milk.html
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:46 am

You'll be getting strong wrists.
Three days should be okay if the milk's clean and kept cold (no feet in the pail please!). I can't say I've ever kept it that long for cheese-making but in theory, I believe as long as there are only good bugs and no bad bugs it should make okay.

Mine is heavier on the back too but that's because the calves are lazy and drink their fill from the front teats, which are easier to grab.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:50 am

http://isleofmullcheese.co.uk/jalldridge/jaindex.htm
I've found this page a very interesting read, on traditional cheese-making.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:07 am

Perhaps if my friend brings one of his old compressors for the cooler we'll make a 3 gallon batch. We do have a milk strainer and strain it immediately after milking, it's impossible to keep every hair out of the bucket... to minimize it, you can see I use a small mouth bucket.

Yes, I remember my wrists being *really* strong when I was in my teens from milking... Mega is getting easier to milk because she's used to it now, as well as my milking muscles getting built back up.
0 x

AllForage
GURU
GURU

Postby AllForage » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 am

Nesi,

Do you milk her with your fingers? When we milked our jersey(s), my problem was big hands and small teats. I had to strip with my index and middle finger. Needless to say the cows preferred women to me.

Anyone else find small milking machine teats to be a problem with hand milking? I sure still prefer big ol teats (on a cow) :)
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am

Nesikep wrote:$5k for her, I figure about another $5k to deliver?.. it's a darned long trip and I'm going to have to milk her on the way. I guess I'll have to stop in and see a few folks on the way!

I will even give you $ 15,000 in pesos :lol2:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Got Milk?”