Nurse cow question.

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Nurse cow question.

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 pm

I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing a jersey cow that currently has a 5 day old angus calf on her, and she is 7 months bred to an angus bull. Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to? He is hoping the jersey can raise the angus calf until 6 or 7 months, or weaning, so he does not have to feed the angus calf so much.
He is getting the cow for free for feeding out the angus calf to 1200 pounds, does that sound like a good deal? I am not a dairy person, so I am asking for him since he came to me.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Nurse cow question.

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing a jersey cow that currently has a 5 day old angus calf on her, and she is 7 months bred to an angus bull. Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to? He is hoping the jersey can raise the angus calf until 6 or 7 months, or weaning, so he does not have to feed the angus calf so much.
He is getting the cow for free for feeding out the angus calf to 1200 pounds, does that sound like a good deal? I am not a dairy person, so I am asking for him since he came to me.

I haven't fooled with nurse cows in a while, but your friend should be able to add one or two more calves along with the angus that's on it now if he wants, especially if he's willing to feed her. I've even heard of people keeping a set of calves on a Jersey until they're about 3 months old and eating feed, then pulling them off and doing the same with another set. Anyway, I'd think that as long as he gets the calf (or calves) off of her about 3-4 months before she's due she should be fine.

I don't have any thoughts on whether or not it's a good deal.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

How would leaving the current calf on her affect the colostrum for the new calf? Or would it not?
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to?

I would say yes. Because it will consume the colostrum that is made for her biological calf. I believe that the colostrum is set several months ahead of time, so double check me on that.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:37 pm

M.Magis wrote:How would leaving the current calf on her affect the colostrum for the new calf? Or would it not?

Leaving calves on a nurse cow would affect the colostrum just like if you left a calf on a range cow until she had the next one. That would also pull the cow down, and the new calf wouldn't amount to much.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cowmilker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cowmilker » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:46 pm

If that cow is due in two months I'd have pulled that calf off of her already.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 pm

M.Magis wrote:How would leaving the current calf on her affect the colostrum for the new calf? Or would it not?

M.magis the cow begins producing colostrum during the last few months of her pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Then it only last for a short period of time after giving birth. (Only a limited supply is produced.) By leaving another calf on her, that calf will consume all of the colostrum leaving none for when her biological calf gets here. Sounds like the damage may already be done.
I do not know how to explain it any simpler than that.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Tim/South
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Tim/South » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:13 pm

The cow is 7 months bred. She needs time to dry up and rest. Pull the angus calf and put it on a bottle. I bet you can see every rib on the nurse cow from 100 yards away.
You can put the calf back on the jersey in 2 months if you desire. She will make more milk than one calf can handle. if she is fed a little.
0 x
“You cannot get the water to clear up
Until you get the pigs out of the creek.”

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 pm

the calf needs tobe off her now.she is heavy bred right now.so she needs 2 months to rest.she has to have clostrum milk for her calf when its born.
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:41 pm

The cow needs to be dry now. 50-60 days dry prior to calving. Is she confirmed pregnant? If not, have her checked before drying her off...

Getting a free Jersey cow in exchange for feeding a calf to 1200 lbs is not a good deal. Sounds like he wants the calf finished, and besides the things that can go wrong for the calf between now and then (14-18 months away), the 800lb-finish time usually costs about $500. The birth-800lb time is going to be the cow's feed cost for 6-7 months plus calf feed. Not worth a free Jersey IMO.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm sorry. Somehow I completely missed the part about the cow being 7 months bred. I apologize, and agree that the calf should be pulled off now.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 pm

milkmaid wrote:The cow needs to be dry now. 50-60 days dry prior to calving. Is she confirmed pregnant? If not, have her checked before drying her off...

Getting a free Jersey cow in exchange for feeding a calf to 1200 lbs is not a good deal. Sounds like he wants the calf finished, and besides the things that can go wrong for the calf between now and then (14-18 months away), the 800lb-finish time usually costs about $500. The birth-800lb time is going to be the cow's feed cost for 6-7 months plus calf feed. Not worth a free Jersey IMO.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Along with the fact he is going to have to bottle feed a week old calf if he has to pull it now. Milk replacer is very expensive!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:52 am

branguscowgirl wrote:

M.magis the cow begins producing colostrum during the last few months of her pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Then it only last for a short period of time after giving birth. (Only a limited supply is produced.) By leaving another calf on her, that calf will consume all of the colostrum leaving none for when her biological calf gets here. Sounds like the damage may already be done.
I do not know how to explain it any simpler than that.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Just wanted to confirm.
0 x

bigbruh
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bigbruh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:04 am

My vet told me that colostrum isn't produced until the calf is born
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:05 am

bigbruh wrote:My vet told me that colostrum isn't produced until the calf is born

I would ask to see his credentials. :shock: :shock:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Got Milk?”