shopping for first Cud Chewing Beauty Queen

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Canesisters
Beginner
Beginner

shopping for first Cud Chewing Beauty Queen

Postby Canesisters » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:07 am

I started scanning craigslist a few weeks ago to get a feel for the local prices of a Jersey cow.
The other day I came across an ad for a 3yr old-possibly pregnant-Jersey cow and her 7mo old hefer calf for $1800. I contacted them to verify if the price was correct since it was MUCH lower than any other that I've seen. It is. They want them gone as soon as possible.
The ad is kinda long. Lots of info about how much they've been milking her, how friendly she is, what they're eating, etc. The quick sale (according to the ad) is due to family issues but they are willing to wait a bit for them to go to a good home that will be a good 'fit'.

I know that they should be vet checked before going any further. Is there anything specific I should ask for or is a 'bovine pre-purchase exam' a standardized thing like it is for horses.
Also, when I go to look at them, what exactly should I be looking for - and asking??????
:help:
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: shopping for first Cud Chewing Beauty Queen

Postby 3waycross » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Canesisters wrote:I started scanning craigslist a few weeks ago to get a feel for the local prices of a Jersey cow.
The other day I came across an ad for a 3yr old-possibly pregnant-Jersey cow and her 7mo old hefer calf for $1800. I contacted them to verify if the price was correct since it was MUCH lower than any other that I've seen. It is. They want them gone as soon as possible.
The ad is kinda long. Lots of info about how much they've been milking her, how friendly she is, what they're eating, etc. The quick sale (according to the ad) is due to family issues but they are willing to wait a bit for them to go to a good home that will be a good 'fit'.

I know that they should be vet checked before going any further. Is there anything specific I should ask for or is a 'bovine pre-purchase exam' a standardized thing like it is for horses.
Also, when I go to look at them, what exactly should I be looking for - and asking??????
:help:

any chance you know someone local who you trust that knows a bit about the kind of cow you are looking at. If so I would offer to pay them to help you make a good decision on that cow.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Canesisters
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Canesisters » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 pm

The only folks I know who have cows, have beef cows.
These folks are 5hrs away - so a VERY long ride to ask of someone. :(
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I think 3way gave you excellent advice, about taking someone with you, but if that's not possible I'd say if they look healthy go ahead and take a chance. At that price I'd think it would be difficult to go wrong as long as they don't lay down and die on you.

If it's really a good deal, and they're in a hurry to get rid of them, I doubt if they'll still be available by this weekend.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Check her ear for a bangs tag (metal clip) and watch her being milked. Also, get a record of any vaccinations or antibiotics she's been given and wehn. That's about all you can do.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Find out if she is halter broke and if she will stand tied.
Ask them if they will separate her from her calf so that you can see how she acts while being hand milked and how much milk she gives.
Check her feet and udder.
This page is helpful about what a good Jersey cow should look like.
Good luck!

https://spiritedrose.wordpress.com/jers ... attle-101/
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:40 pm

canesisters - Personally I know nothing about dairy cattle. However you may want to call richlands dairy down on 460 and maybe they can help give you some pointers or a reputable dairy cattle dealer. Richlands do not have jerseys only Holsteins. .
http://richlandsdairyfarm.webs.com/about-us they are all giving you great info. Here is another one I know of in va they may sell some http://jerseysites.usjersey.com/huffard/
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm

If she is 5 hours from you there is someone on here thats closer than you are i would bet. I see you say south/east VA so there is no cattle 5 hours east. 5 hours west there are several people on here that can help you. Tell us the general area where the cow is and see if someone here can help.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Canesisters
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Canesisters » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:03 am

She's wearing a halter in the picture - but, of course, that doesn't mean that she knows what it's for. ;-)
She's in the weaverville/ barnardsville area - near Asheville, NC. Is anyone willing to go look at a cow on the 25th with me? I'll buy you lunch. (and probably pester you to death with a bazillion questions)
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 am

How are you lanning to transport them?
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Canesisters
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Canesisters » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 am

A friend with a trailer has agreed to move them - if everything else works out.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Canesisters wrote:She's wearing a halter in the picture - but, of course, that doesn't mean that she knows what it's for. ;-)
She's in the weaverville/ barnardsville area - near Asheville, NC. Is anyone willing to go look at a cow on the 25th with me? I'll buy you lunch. (and probably pester you to death with a bazillion questions)

All right, I popped off now someone has to be close to Asheville. Lets hear from someone.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Return to “Got Milk?”