2016-2017 Hunting Season

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 2016-2017 Hunting Season

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:59 am

Caustic Burno wrote:You will have to settle for a fox squirrel only thing I saw this morning was does.
They must have got the memo that season closed Sunday

Here you go TB in the thicket right now.

Guess you have that rifle sighted in at around 300 yards. :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:You will have to settle for a fox squirrel only thing I saw this morning was does.
They must have got the memo that season closed Sunday

Here you go TB in the thicket right now.

Guess you have that rifle sighted in at around 300 yards. :lol2: :lol2:

Wouldn't do you any good 75 yards is stretching it. That is what tickles me about the Houston crowd. They will bypass all the good spots to get on a pipeline with a long range rifle when all you need is a good Winchester Model 97,12 or 25. A 100 yards is a long shot when the leaves fall 30-30,32-40 or 44 mag is all you need and the 30-30 is overkill.
This BS seen six does this morning fixing to go to the house and get a biscuit
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 am

Back in the mid 70's I was on a deer lease down close to the Davey Crockett Forest and we had a new member get on the lease. He lived in Temple, Tx.....he showed up with a 300 Winchester and had it sighted in at 300 yards. The place was a jungle. Most of us used shotguns or 30.06 sighted in at 25 yards which normally would be good to 100. Everybody about laughed him out of the camp. Seldom ever saw a deer til it was right on top of you.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Got a pretty good buck for my area over the weekend, 11 pointer. He was in hot pursuit of some nookie!

Good buck for any area IMO :tiphat:
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

RiverHills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby RiverHills » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:48 pm

USAxBrad wrote:Hadn't got a deer since 2013. Wasn't going to get skunked this year.

Nice bucks!!!!
What happened below his eye?
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:57 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:Got a pretty good buck for my area over the weekend, 11 pointer. He was in hot pursuit of some nookie!

Good buck for any area IMO :tiphat:

Thank you kindly sir! :cboy:
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am

I shot this buck almost two weeks ago. He is a 9 point, but is really big bodied. He was about 160 lbs field dressed. When I shot him, I clipped one of his lungs. He ran about 100 yards and then crashed into the creek. I waited half an hour before I started looking for him. As I walked to the creek, I heard him get up and then he ran into the woodlot. It took us over 9 hours to find him in the dense brush. We ended up finding him in a really small, old, shallow pond that had gone dry. The pond was surrounded by a few hundred yards of dense woods on all directions; I had no idea it was back there. He was laying in a hog wallow in the middle of the dried up pond. We ended up dragging him a few hundred yards and through a gully with really steep, 20 ft tall banks. When we finally got him back to the creek, we ended up just winching him up the bank because there was no way that we were getting him up the muddy side of the creek. It has been a really exciting deer season! About a week after I shot this one, I saw a buck that had taller antlers than this one with a drop tine on one side and a bunch of stickers.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Backbone Ranch wrote:I shot this buck almost two weeks ago. He is a 9 point, but is really big bodied. He was about 160 lbs field dressed. When I shot him, I clipped one of his lungs. He ran about 100 yards and then crashed into the creek. I waited half an hour before I started looking for him. As I walked to the creek, I heard him get up and then he ran into the woodlot. It took us over 9 hours to find him in the dense brush. We ended up finding him in a really small, old, shallow pond that had gone dry. The pond was surrounded by a few hundred yards of dense woods on all directions; I had no idea it was back there. He was laying in a hog wallow in the middle of the dried up pond. We ended up dragging him a few hundred yards and through a gully with really steep, 20 ft tall banks. When we finally got him back to the creek, we ended up just winching him up the bank because there was no way that we were getting him up the muddy side of the creek. It has been a really exciting deer season! About a week after I shot this one, I saw a buck that had taller antlers than this one with a drop tine on one side and a bunch of stickers.

Beautiful buck!
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

USAxBrad
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby USAxBrad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:59 pm

RiverHills wrote:
USAxBrad wrote:Hadn't got a deer since 2013. Wasn't going to get skunked this year.

Nice bucks!!!!
What happened below his eye?

Thank you, and after getting his skull cleaned found it was a puss pocket that was eating away at his skull, doubt he would of made it through the winter. His lower eye socket was about gone.

Will try and post a picture of the eye socket later.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Just finished mine
Not good enough for the house he goes in the man cave

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 am

Some mighty fine deer yall... CB heres a sight you may remember

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:47 am

Yep many a deer lost its life in front of a pair of bird dogs and a Model 97 with #1 buckshot.
In about an hour a 16 gauge loaded with double aught are going to take a long walk in the creek bottom.
Great day for it foggy drizzling rain be able to slip through like a ghost.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 am

Good luck... I am taking a few days off to rest.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Good luck... I am taking a few days off to rest.

Man you get the big ones don't you. That deer ain't much bigger than the dog. :lol: :lol:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Good luck... I am taking a few days off to rest.

Man you get the big ones don't you. That deer ain't much bigger than the dog. :lol: :lol:

:lol2: when hunting that spot we have to kill EVERY Deer possible or they will take the lease.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”