What the?????

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

What the?????

Postby TCRanch » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Guy that was fishing on our lake said there was a dead buck on the shore so we went down to investigate. WTH????? The coyotes, vultures, varmints, etc had pretty much picked off anything edible (and then some!) and not sure if you can tell by the pics but this thing has 12 points with one horn growing sideways on his skull but was probably not more than 1-2 years old.

0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: What the?????

Postby TCRanch » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Hubby is reading over my shoulder; I stand corrected, it's 15 points.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:22 pm

That's amazing.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Injuries usually cause a lot of horns to grow crazy. An injury on the right hip will affect the horn on the left side and vice versa.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:Injuries usually cause a lot of horns to grow crazy. An injury on the right hip will affect the horn on the left side and vice versa.

This is correct. Judging by the pic I'd say something must have hit him dead in the a$$ and injured both sides :lol2: Very cool rack either way. Get a taxidermist to do a European mount and post a pic when he's done. (If you like dead animals on your wall like me)
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:12 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Injuries usually cause a lot of horns to grow crazy. An injury on the right hip will affect the horn on the left side and vice versa.

This is correct. Judging by the pic I'd say something must have hit him dead in the a$$ and injured both sides :lol2: Very cool rack either way. Get a taxidermist to do a European mount and post a pic when he's done. (If you like dead animals on your wall like me)

Interesting & good to know.

JMJ, ummm, yeah :)

1 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:50 pm

TCRanch wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Interesting & good to know.

JMJ, ummm, yeah :)

This is my favorite one of the mounts that you posted. All are very nice though. Beautiful fireplace too :tiphat:
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey country folk, cows have horns, deer have antlers--there's a big difference.
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 pm

City Guy wrote:Hey country folk, cows have horns, deer have antlers--there's a big difference.

Your right cows are spikes while deer can have many points on their "horns". I can speak for everyone here that they know the difference but because your not a country person you can't understand that just what we call them.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:55 am

I like your floor boards TC.

Ken
0 x

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:07 am

M-5 wrote:
City Guy wrote:Hey country folk, cows have horns, deer have antlers--there's a big difference.

Your right cows are spikes while deer can have many points on their "horns". I can speak for everyone here that they know the difference but because your not a country person you can't understand that just what we call them.

Antlers are shed each year and grow back each year, larger than before. We city folk just love it when we're correct. :lol2:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:13 am

wbvs58 wrote:I like your floor boards TC.

Ken

Thank you, the floors are pecan. And JMJ, the fireplaces (another one downstairs) are made from old rock fences.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:16 am

City Guy wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Antlers are shed each year and grow back each year, larger than before. We city folk just love it when we're correct. :lol2:

Not necessarily to all three assumptions. There's always exceptions to the rule in nature.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:04 am

City Guy wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Your right cows are spikes while deerdeer 9 can have many points on their "horns". I can speak for everyone here that they know the difference but because your not a country person you can't understand that just what we call them.

I would not be caught dead calling the antlers of a deer "horns". BTW: Horns have an internal living core supplied with blood. One point, they do not always grow back bigger than before.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 am

I should have said "usually". I stand corrected.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”