Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4567
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am

dun wrote:Shotgun or handgun I feel depends on the application. If I lived in a house with other people I would far prefer a shotgun. Less of a chance of a stray penetrating a wall and doing damage but very effective at those kind of close ranges against a single or even multiple assailants. If I had to shoot through a car door or window the handgun (or even better a rifle) would be my choice. I think that is part of the reason "The Judge" has become so popular. Sadly a lot of the hype and horse schitt about selve defence is from people relying on movies for their information/ifeas.


So very true, and I agree with everything in that post. I feel self-defense is within 10 to15 feet of me, and at that range I'll take a high brass #4 every time.
http://m.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/
This is what I prefer for my last 4 rounds. You need to try these CB, a 125gr 38+p load won't stop a shark in it's tracks ever. The Hornady will most of the time, and a high brass #4 will every time. I've shot hundreds of sharks with my 338 to a 22. And nothing will stop them like a high brass #4 or #6 shot from a 12 ga. This is real life and no BS.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Ryder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Margonme wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.


I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.


Now the rest of the story. The 410 has less penetration and less range as a defensive weapon. I will take the .45 ACP. If I only need a couple shots, I would prefer my single action Blackhawk in .44 magnum.

True Grit you are right.
I haven't shot anyone with a .410 pistol lately so I can't attest to the stopping power or lack thereof personally.
However I would still take a .45 for reasons put forth by Margonme.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Margonme » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.


I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.


I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47009
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby dun » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Margonme wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.


I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.


I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs

A single shot .50 BMG pistol has even more, but it would seem that you would want something that you could actaully carry and not be half afraid to tough off.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Margonme » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:55 pm

dun wrote:
Margonme wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.


I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs

A single shot .50 BMG pistol has even more, but it would seem that you would want something that you could actaully carry and not be half afraid to tough off.


I agree. 44 magnum is the most recoil I want in a handgun.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby M.Magis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:46 pm

More power and energy aren’t always what you want in a self defense gun/load. Big, powerful loads tend to blow right through the target at close range, which means most of the energy is lost. Ideally, you want the load to put all of its energy into the target, which equals more stopping power. It’s been well documented that people under the influence of substances, or just adrenalin, can sometimes seem unaffected after being shot with large caliber weapons, especially with FMJ bullets. That’s why defense loads are made to fragment at close range. I keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7.5 shot next to my bed. It won’t kill every time, but a load of that to the face will stop anyone. It also won’t penetrate walls.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4567
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Margonme wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.


I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.


I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs


We'll be killing sharks next month, should kill around 600 head for the season. Bring whatever you want to shoot and as many $100. dollar bills that you care to lose. If the shark moves you lose, we'll alternate turns. But in all honesty I've never shot one with a 500S&W, shot 10 or 12 with a 460S&W though. I need to try "big boy" 50BMG and see what he can do. I'll tie a rope to it before I lean over the water with it though.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21412
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

M.Magis wrote:More power and energy aren’t always what you want in a self defense gun/load. Big, powerful loads tend to blow right through the target at close range, which means most of the energy is lost. Ideally, you want the load to put all of its energy into the target, which equals more stopping power. It’s been well documented that people under the influence of substances, or just adrenalin, can sometimes seem unaffected after being shot with large caliber weapons, especially with FMJ bullets. That’s why defense loads are made to fragment at close range. I keep a 12 gauge loaded with 7.5 shot next to my bed. It won’t kill every time, but a load of that to the face will stop anyone. It also won’t penetrate walls.


You would be surprised I have heard when squirrel hunting they will drop a deer in his tracks at 15 yards
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 pm

A .22 will drop a deer at 50ft with a head shot, that really doesn't mean anything.

In the heat of the moment, you need something that can be popped off quickly and accurately, in a compromised position, and possibly one handed. That rules out big bore hand guns from being a practical self defense arm. 9mm, 45, and 357 are the most popular for a reason.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21412
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Atimm693 wrote:A .22 will drop a deer at 50ft with a head shot, that really doesn't mean anything.

In the heat of the moment, you need something that can be popped off quickly and accurately, in a compromised position, and possibly one handed. That rules out big bore hand guns from being a practical self defense arm. 9mm, 45, and 357 are the most popular for a reason.


Drop one a heII of lot farther than that until I was nearly grown I thought it was a deer rifle
When we got the first 22 mag we sure nuff had a long range rifle
Last edited by Caustic Burno on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Postby Margonme » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:A .22 will drop a deer at 50ft with a head shot, that really doesn't mean anything.

In the heat of the moment, you need something that can be popped off quickly and accurately, in a compromised position, and possibly one handed. That rules out big bore hand guns from being a practical self defense arm. 9mm, 45, and 357 are the most popular for a reason.


Drop one a heII of lot farther than that until I was nearly grown I thought it was a deer rifle


I carried my single shot Remington 22 bolt action with a peep sight everywhere. I shot woodchucks all summer long. I could pop them right in the head up to 60 to 70 yards.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests