Latest Build Completion

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Latest Build Completion

Postby MudHog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Wrapped up my latest build, AR-15 SBR in 300BLK. Aero Precision lower, upper, and free float handguard, 8.5" 300BLK barrel from TR Enabling, Red Jacket Firearms buttstock, and Trijicon MRO sight. The handguard covers the barrel by 1/2", but the muzzlebreak for the suppressor sticks out past the handguard. Planning to test drive it this weekend. Total weight without a magazine is 6lbs 4oz.

0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Re: Latest Build Completion

Postby Chuckie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Good looking gun.
0 x
There are three kinds of service:
Good - Cheap - Fast
Good service Cheap won't be Fast
Good service Fast that won't be Cheap
Fast service Cheap won't be Good

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Makes me want an AR even more. Buddy and I are researching components now. He has a couple Colt's but is wanting to build a 308. I'm just wanting a 556 to start with.
0 x
J & D Cattle

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:26 pm

This is my 3rd build (2 300blk and 1 223) and I have a couple stripped lowers waiting. You can get an Anderson stripped lower for $55. This Aero Precision lower I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading as a blemish and there's nothing blemished about it.

I think my next build will be a 458socom.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm

MudHog wrote:This is my 3rd build (2 300blk and 1 223) and I have a couple stripped lowers waiting. You can get an Anderson stripped lower for $55. This Aero Precision lower I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading as a blemish and there's nothing blemished about it.

You heard anything about the American Tactical Omni Hybrid? My cousin just got a 300blk and it felt nice.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 pm

I like that. Nice work!
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
MudHog wrote:This is my 3rd build (2 300blk and 1 223) and I have a couple stripped lowers waiting. You can get an Anderson stripped lower for $55. This Aero Precision lower I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading as a blemish and there's nothing blemished about it.

You heard anything about the American Tactical Omni Hybrid? My cousin just got a 300blk and it felt nice.

I don't know that specific brand, but polymer AR uppers and lowers aren't my cup of tea. I've read to many articles of various brand polymer lowers/uppers failing. The American Tactical Omni Hybrid is a metal reinforced polymer upper/lower, which to me doesn't make sense. Why not just go metal? The feel parts is all about the buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard. I hate a small buttstock and I like the RJF because its fatter. I also hate a quad rail, because the bottom rail in the hand doesn't feel comfortable. I tried the rubber covers for the rails, but that made the handguard way to big around for my liking. I rather the smoothness of the keymod handguards. For pistol grips, some people prefer a round grip and some a square grip.

One thing I would recommend on any AR is to get USA forged parts. Every forger has a marking and I always buy uppers/lowers from USA forgers. That said, I tend to always buy my parts from certain companies after I know what they have. Examples would be: Anderson, Aero Precision, Daytona Tactical. If your buying any used parts, look for forging marks. Keyhole, splintered A, Square, Cardinal head are all USA forging company marks.

Same goes for pistols, I don't like the plastic framed pistols which I call tuppaware pistols. :D
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:58 pm

MudHog wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

I don't know that specific brand, but polymer AR uppers and lowers aren't my cup of tea. I've read to many articles of various brand polymer lowers/uppers failing. The American Tactical Omni Hybrid is a metal reinforced polymer upper/lower, which to me doesn't make sense. Why not just go metal? The feel parts is all about the buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard. I hate a small buttstock and I like the RJF because its fatter. I also hate a quad rail, because the bottom rail in the hand doesn't feel comfortable. I tried the rubber covers for the rails, but that made the handguard way to big around for my liking. I rather the smoothness of the keymod handguards. For pistol grips, some people prefer a round grip and some a square grip.

One thing I would recommend on any AR is to get USA forged parts. Every forger has a marking and I always buy uppers/lowers from USA forgers. That said, I tend to always buy my parts from certain companies after I know what they have. Examples would be: Anderson, Aero Precision, Daytona Tactical. If your buying any used parts, look for forging marks. Keyhole, splintered A, Square, Cardinal head are all USA forging company marks.

Same goes for pistols, I don't like the plastic framed pistols which I call tuppaware pistols. :D

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get started doing some research, I'm sure I'll have some more questions.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Not being a smart a$$ what is the wow with 300 BLK.
No matter the weapon here in this thicket unless it's a Model 12 you are only getting one shot at these hogs.
I kill just as many with my single shot 223 as I do my mini.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm just in the early stages of a build. I'm going with the 277 Wolverine.
There is a gunshow in Houston almost every week. It is hard to pass up those good deals. :D
0 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Not being a smart a$$ what is the wow with 300 BLK.
No matter the weapon here in this thicket unless it's a Model 12 you are only getting one shot at these hogs.

300BLK is basically a 30-30 in a semi auto platform with more magazine capacity. Subsonic and suppressed, it is a very quite and a very effective 30caliber round. Eventually I will get a thermal scope for piggys at night. Suppressed, you only hear the action cycling. :mrgreen:
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 pm

The biggest benefit is that it uses the same mags, bolt, and upper/lower as 223. All you have to swap is the barrel. It also uses .223 brass and primers, which are cheap and easy to get, along with the .308 projectiles.

It's not quite as hot as a 30-30, but a 110gr bullet at 2000 fps is plenty out to 150 yards.

I've got a full size Smith and Wesson MP15 in 300, about to pull the trigger on parts to build an AR pistol for the alternative methods season.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm

MudHog wrote:

300BLK is basically a 30-30 in a semi auto platform with more magazine capacity. Subsonic and suppressed, it is a very quite and a very effective 30caliber round. Eventually I will get a thermal scope for piggys at night. Suppressed, you only hear the action cycling. :mrgreen:

I've got a lever action 30-30. What you have sounds like a heck of à weapon! I like it
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Atimm693 wrote:

The biggest benefit is that it uses the same mags, bolt, and upper/lower as 223. All you have to swap is the barrel. It also uses .223 brass and primers, which are cheap and easy to get, along with the .308 projectiles.

It's not quite as hot as a 30-30, but a 110gr bullet at 2000 fps is plenty out to 150 yards.

I've got a full size Smith and Wesson MP15 in 300, about to pull the trigger on parts to build an AR pistol for the alternative methods season.

What CB is saying is that in that jungle he lives in all but your first shot will do nothing but cut brush. And the 1st might too .
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:

What CB is saying is that in that jungle he lives in all but your first shot will do nothing but cut brush. And the 1st might too .

Sure, I can see his point.

The ARs short length and light weight make is a pleasure to swing around in the woods as well, which is another benefit aside from being a semiauto.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”