Latest Build Completion

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Latest Build Completion

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Atimm693 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Not being a smart a$$ what is the wow with 300 BLK.
No matter the weapon here in this thicket unless it's a Model 12 you are only getting one shot at these hogs.
I kill just as many with my single shot 223 as I do my mini.

The biggest benefit is that it uses the same mags, bolt, and upper/lower as 223. All you have to swap is the barrel. It also uses .223 brass and primers, which are cheap and easy to get, along with the .308 projectiles.

It's not quite as hot as a 30-30, but a 110gr bullet at 2000 fps is plenty out to 150 yards.

I've got a full size Smith and Wesson MP15 in 300, about to pull the trigger on parts to build an AR pistol for the alternative methods season.

The 300BLK was developed as a round capable of suppressed CQB with the ability to AT&T the bad guys once you step out the door. Stabilizing a big chunk of lead in 8", as well as doing it with mostly existing parts were key in it's development. You can half be nice it and just simply swap a 300BLK barrel onto your old 5.56 AR. Head spacing the bolt wouldn't hurt a thing, but it'll work for a while with no modification. It's even the same brass, believe it or not. With sub sonics and a suppressor, clearing a building without earplugs is possible. A quick mag swap on the way out the door and you are back to making bad guys duck at 200m. All of that transfers (lucky for us) to a fairly efficient and comfortable hunting weapon. Light recoil, suppression capability, easy to adjust, compact platform, etc. It makes a good youth rifle, brush gun, truck gun, and your ears will thank you in a box blind. It's just a really good short to mid range platform and round. BUT, the big wow you ask? The democrats hate it because it's black and scary and they can't hear it. That's the big wow for me. :D The only downside is the $400 worth of paper it takes to legally own a SBR with a can. :bang:
Would I trade in my 30-30 saddle gun? Absolutely not, but if I'm being attacked by sassy bandits (or pigs), I'd pick my BLK if it was a choice. No, wait....What were my choices again?
Your fresh build is pretty sweet! You going to stick a can on her?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Yep. I built a 30cal one using the freeze plug method. I didn't use the Maglite tube as I don't like having to seal off the switch hole. SD Tactical sells tubes already cut and threaded for use with the freeze plug and is what I used.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 am

MudHog wrote:Yep. I built a 30cal one using the freeze plug method. I didn't use the Maglite tube as I don't like having to seal off the switch hole. SD Tactical sells tubes already cut and threaded for use with the freeze plug and is what I used.

A guy was telling me about the adapter that you can use a spin on oil filter with. He said it works great but I haven't seen it.
0 x
J & D Cattle

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Those are out there, but you still need to tax stamp to be legal. People are making "solvent traps", but I'd rather pay the $200 and be legal. The spin on filters do work though.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”