Shooting Dogs

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: Shooting Dogs

Postby talltimber » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:49 am

My Grandpa had a round with some dogs years ago. I saw some of the cows that were protecting their calves. Chewed all to be nice and back. Ears in strips, tails chewed off, hips and sides, bit all over. There were three or four of them, husky/Rott/Ger Shep types. Big dogs, and mean. He tried shooting them with a .22. Basically, he ran them off a couple times but they kept coming back. He was in a somewhat remote area, and got them taken care of. They were nearly impossible to catch in the act, so he had to resort to a method that didn't require him to be there. I'm thinking he had talked to the vet he used back then about it.
My neighbors deer hunt. They are serious about their deer hunting. They will smoke a dog down faster than you can spit. I don't have any dog problems, right now.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 am

Update on this case, I have been following it pretty close. It did not go to good for the man that shot the dogs. Judge gave him the following :
6 months in jail ; said that was the max he could under the law.
3 years probation, 500 hrs. community service at county animal shelter or 5000.00 donation, 200.00 reimbursement of the dogs, 2500.00 fine, loss of freedom to vote and loss of freedom to own a firearm, any violation he goes to prison for 2 years.
He also lost his job when this first started. This tells me you had better have a reason before you go out and start shooting doge for just walking across your place. The way it is now days people can put stories like this on the internet and people will start donating money to help fight in court and if you win it will break the bank account.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Similar thing happened here. A guy shot a man's dog after it killed some of his goats. Shot it on his property and though we have law allowing you to do this the court still hung him out to dry because the jury didn't like it. He lost his job also.

Though I think he had the right to do this I think his biggest problem was himself and how he acted about shooting the dog. He just wouldn't shut up. Showed no remorse and kept saying he knew his rights but in the end his mouth was his undoing and though I still don't agree with how the courts treated him its also hard to show sympathy to a loud mouth dumb azz and I do believe stupidity should be painful and in his case it was.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 pm

I have a neighbor I really don't care much for, but we've never had any substantial issues between us.. He has some big dogs that come wandering through, I light up their arses with lead but don't hit them.. He's exactly the kind of guy that things could go really sideways if you shot his dog
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 am

I'm pretty sure if someone shot my dog their home would burn down.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 am

Jogeephus wrote:I'm pretty sure if someone shot my dog their home would burn down.

:nod:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 am

I still don't buy that nonsense, if the dogs owner was a responsible person his dogs would still be alive. A responsible person doesn't let his animals run loose on someone else's property, especially during hunting season. A varmint isn't a specific breed. According to Webster, Definition of varmint. 1 : an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law. 2 : a contemptible person : rascal; broadly : person, fellow.
I guess I just can't grasp how some folks figure, likewise I'm sure.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I still don't buy that nonsense, if the dogs owner was a responsible person his dogs would still be alive. A responsible person doesn't let his animals run loose on someone else's property, especially during hunting season. A varmint isn't a specific breed. According to Webster, Definition of varmint. 1 : an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law. 2 : a contemptible person : rascal; broadly : person, fellow.

The same can be said for cattle. I consider those Char bulls that can't stay at home varmint but lucky for them that's not a legal term.

Im not a fan of dogs running loose, or even untrained dogs for that matter. 95% of the muts people keep at their house I would put a bullet in. However, I don't believe it shooting dogs at first sight who are not in the act of causing a problem. If it happens multiple times or they are in the act of killing a calf or running cattle thru the fence then I have no problem with some one shooting the dog to prevent further damage.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I still don't buy that nonsense, if the dogs owner was a responsible person his dogs would still be alive. A responsible person doesn't let his animals run loose on someone else's property, especially during hunting season. A varmint isn't a specific breed. According to Webster, Definition of varmint. 1 : an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law. 2 : a contemptible person : rascal; broadly : person, fellow.

we live in a day what the courts don't really care what you or I think. PETA and animal rights groups and the tree hugger groups that's where the money is.
That being said I do not think a dog should be shot for walking across some ones property. or a bull or any livestock as for as that goes As long as its not doing damage
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

I agree with what both of you are saying. But the fact is the dogs owner should be at least 50% at fault also. Without his negligence those dogs would be alive today.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I agree with what both of you are saying. But the fact is the dogs owner should be at least 50% at fault also. Without his negligence those dogs would be alive today.

That's true but way too logical for our court system. They are lucky to convict actual criminals... much less divide up neglegence. :D

That's my problem with shooting dogs on sight... most of the time it'd not the dogs fault.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”