Coyote Calls & Hunting

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Coyote Calls & Hunting

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:30 am

I recently acquired a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM and am eager to bust some coyotes with it. They are thick around here.

What do you guys use for calls? I was leaning towards electronic, around 100 bucks.

I've messed with some predator calls and wasn't able to get them right. I played Baritone in middle school so I figured it would be easy to pick up, but that wasn't the case. :lol2:

Any other tips and tricks welcome, aside from shooting a few out of the tractor door, I have never actually tried to hunt them.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Coyote Calls & Hunting

Postby dun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 am

Setup, distraction and sound are the keys as far as I'm concerned. You need to setup with good visibility for you and some place it's hard for them to circle around behind. One of those flipping bunny type of distractions to keep them looking at that rather then at you. Sound is the ability make decent calls to bring them in, or really more to catch their attention. Mouth calls can pin point your location so a remote speaker type of call works best. Back in the days before many people called them, any mouth call would work and bring them in running. Foxes tended to be sneakier but sneakiest of all were bobcats.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:46 am

My son has a fox pro banche. He has little luck (12 years old). People borrow it and have great success.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 am

dun wrote:Setup, distraction and sound are the keys as far as I'm concerned. You need to setup with good visibility for you and some place it's hard for them to circle around behind. One of those flipping bunny type of distractions to keep them looking at that rather then at you. Sound is the ability make decent calls to bring them in, or really more to catch their attention. Mouth calls can pin point your location so a remote speaker type of call works best. Back in the days before many people called them, any mouth call would work and bring them in running. Foxes tended to be sneakier but sneakiest of all were bobcats.

I agree. Those things make the coyote drop their guard and come running in. My success rate over doubled when I started using a jack in the box. I'll set it up in the open and start calling. Once they get in close they will begin circling but usually once they see it in the field they drop their guard and charge it.

I once set it up in the middle of the field and walked back to my hide. When I reached my hide I looked back at the JiB and a coyote was only about 10 feet from it. Only problem with these things is hawks. It enticing them as well and you can lose your bunny.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 am

I use fox pro as well you need the decoy here as well. Coyotes are easier in February or March around here as they become very territorial preparing for the upcoming litter.
Elevation and distance are your friend it doesn't take long to educate them.
Here they will start a large circle working their way in.
Bobcat grabbed and hauled butt with my decoy never seen him till he
Went over the pond dam.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:09 pm

My prefered call is a dirt hole with some sheep's wool smeared in hiawatha valley, and a shot of fox pee on the backing, with a heavy castor lure in a tree up wind.

Opps! you meant vocal calls.
Sorry can't help with that...
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Atimm693 wrote:I recently acquired a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM and am eager to bust some coyotes with it. They are thick around here.

What do you guys use for calls? I was leaning towards electronic, around 100 bucks.

I've messed with some predator calls and wasn't able to get them right. I played Baritone in middle school so I figured it would be easy to pick up, but that wasn't the case. :lol2:

Any other tips and tricks welcome, aside from shooting a few out of the tractor door, I have never actually tried to hunt them.

My son got me a Bmag 17 wsm for Christmas. I'm glad he did, I've been curious about them, but it sure don't shoot like I thought it might. Flimsy stock doesn't do it any favors. I'm thinking I'll at least trim it and bed it, if not get a Boyd's to put it in. 1.5" at 50 yd is not what I would consider acceptable. It's got a cheap scope on it, although I checked the base/rings to make sure they were tight, that could be part of it. Have you shot yours yet? Fill us in on how it shoots. Apparently there are some that shoot better than others.

I have made a few sets for varmints here before, but it's thick in the woods and pastures are not very big. We have a number of coyotes around, but aren't often seen. Usually here them at night though. I haven't called anything in that I saw except for a hoot owl. Still trying though.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm

talltimber wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:I recently acquired a Savage Bmag in 17 WSM and am eager to bust some coyotes with it. They are thick around here.

My son got me a Bmag 17 wsm for Christmas. I'm glad he did, I've been curious about them, but it sure don't shoot like I thought it might. Flimsy stock doesn't do it any favors. I'm thinking I'll at least trim it and bed it, if not get a Boyd's to put it in. 1.5" at 50 yd is not what I would consider acceptable. It's got a cheap scope on it, although I checked the base/rings to make sure they were tight, that could be part of it. Have you shot yours yet? Fill us in on how it shoots. Apparently there are some that shoot better than others.

I have made a few sets for varmints here before, but it's thick in the woods and pastures are not very big. We have a number of coyotes around, but aren't often seen. Usually here them at night though. I haven't called anything in that I saw except for a hoot owl. Still trying though.

I won't actually have it until tomorrow. Guy says it shoots well though, I guess we'll see. Looks for good shooting weather this week, as long as the wind doesn't pick up.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

talltimber wrote:

Turn your volume to about to halfway don't over call less is better in my experience
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:41 pm

talltimber wrote:

I also have a .17 Mossberg. I can't kill anything with ballistic tips. Maybe they die 2 miles away but at 50 yards with hollow points it will drop anything in its tracks. If there is any wind at all and I mean any I can't hit the broad side of a big barn! Another thing I hate is mine is louder than heck.
0 x

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
talltimber wrote:

I also have a .17 Mossberg. I can't kill anything with ballistic tips. Maybe they die 2 miles away but at 50 yards with hollow points it will drop anything in its tracks. If there is any wind at all and I mean any I can't hit the broad side of a big barn! Another thing I hate is mine is louder than heck.

.17 HMR or a centerfire?

17 WSM is a good bit hotter than HMR. Supposed to be less susceptible to wind drift as well.

Mainly I was looking for something that will reach out to 100yds and not blow out your eardrums like my AR. The terrain here limits most shots to 100 yds or so.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.
Golden Bear 62 grain HP are rough on hogs.
The B mag is a bad little round.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.

I shoot Hornady 55gr. Spire points in my .223 excellent round for hunting.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 pm

I like the 17 WSM also. Don't like the 17 HMR, nor the 17 Mach II
The only rifle I have found locally in 17WSM is the Savage and I don't like the bolt on it. It sure shoots good though.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.

I have several rifles in 22 hornet but rarely shoot them for the same reason. 223 is much cheaper to shoot.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”